Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: pre cath care

pre cath care

hey everyone... again... as im getting my 3rd uti it seems in just over a month im really starting to scrutinize everything that i do and the only real thing out of my routine that could be improved is the cleaning process before cathing and possible cleaning up afterwards i guess, but also on the same note ive been using non scented ph balanced baby wipes from day one but this is the only thing i can think of as my catheter is sealed and the water used to lubricate it is sealed with it, then you burst the water in to the place where the catheter sits and even then its the part of that sleeve that i hold to push it in so even though i do wash my hands before hand i dont touch anything, its not like i hold the catheter with a glove its the packaging that came with it thats always been touching it if you know what i mean, those of you that may use lofric primo catheters will know, so im thinking its the baby wipes?? should i be using an anti bacterial wipe? what do other people use? and do you think that would help? or is the bacteria air bourne and we all have no hope as it has to come out the packaging at some point so you can insert it?? :/ any help would be great thanks

You should probably be using anti-bacterial wipes as a start. Also, although you are not touching anything, washing your hands would not hurt. Bacteria can travel amazing fast up to the catheter and up the urethra. Are you using an external catheter on top of cathing? That could also be contributing to the uti's, if you are.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

If you have kidney stones, the best procedure may not correct the root cause. The stones not only provide a location for bacteria to live, but also protect the bacteria from antibiotics.

ive never been told to use anti-bacterial wipes ever, ive heard that they can dry the skin or cause cracking and sores?? where could i get some from? and is there any favourable ones out there for this purpose? thanks
    yes i do wash my hands i was just stating the fact that i do but dont touch anything and yet it still happens, im going to speak to my GP tomorrow to get an appointment with the urologist and see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by rAdGie View Post
    ive never been told to use anti-bacterial wipes ever, ive heard that they can dry the skin or cause cracking and sores?? where could i get some from? and is there any favourable ones out there for this purpose? thanks
    yes i do wash my hands i was just stating the fact that i do but dont touch anything and yet it still happens, im going to speak to my GP tomorrow to get an appointment with the urologist and see what he says.
    When NL was cathing me, she would wash her hands, pull on a pair of nitrile gloves, the use the anti-bacterial wipes on the gloves before preparing the catheter. Then at bedside, she would use the anti-bacterial wipes on her gloved hands again before cathing. She has never been able to use these wipes or gels. One or two uses and her hands dry out and start to peel.

IMHO the part many people miss is the importance of mechanical (aka scrubbing) removal. Too often people believe that the soap or disinfectant has magical instant kill capabilities. Not so. There's a reason surgeons scrub before surgery instead of wiping down with BZK or iodine. So I argue that a degree of mechanical wiping to mechanically remove bacteria from the meatus at the opening of the urethra is very important.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

https://www.amazon.com/Antiseptic-Wi...MJ01D5JDZJFX7X

I think the BZK wipes do not dry your skin out like alcohol based wipes. But I also know a woman who uses only baby wipes and has not had any problems. Her husband does it for her using gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    IMHO the part many people miss is the importance of mechanical (aka scrubbing) removal. Too often people believe that the soap or disinfectant has magical instant kill capabilities. Not so. There's a reason surgeons scrub before surgery instead of wiping down with BZK or iodine. So I argue that a degree of mechanical wiping to mechanically remove bacteria from the meatus at the opening of the urethra is very important.
    If you (or someone cathing you) aren't using gloves after washing your hands, scrubbing (using a brush) may be necessary for hands, cuticles, and fingernails.

Of course, my cleanser of choice for the meatus would be electrolyzed water, like HydroCleanse, Theracyn or Microcyn. Saturate a cotton ball, cotton cosmetic sponge, or a folded 4"x4" dressing and gently cleanse the meatus area.

I would agree that the mechanical part of washing your hands and penis is important. Soap and water work great at home (not in the hospital setting) before cathing. Microsyn can also be used, although I need to add that it is not FDA approved for this.

Everyone reacts differently to products so yes, for some people the anti-microbial wipes do dry out their skin, in which case, if this is you, you should not use them.

You should be seen by your urologist. When was the last time you had a good GU workup? It might be time for one.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    If you (or someone cathing you) aren't using gloves after washing your hands, scrubbing (using a brush) may be necessary for hands, cuticles, and fingernails.

Of course, my cleanser of choice for the meatus would be electrolyzed water, like HydroCleanse, Theracyn or Microcyn. Saturate a cotton ball, cotton cosmetic sponge, or a folded 4"x4" dressing and gently cleanse the meatus area.
    Sorry. Didn't mean to leave that out. I often use just 70% alcohol hand cleaner. Stopped using gloves after I got home and I simply never, ever use a catheter if I've accidentally touched it or bumped it against something. I use rigid catheters so I never have to touch anything but the larger plastic end. For scrubbing I usually use two betadine wipes or one larger bzk when I'm out. I'm very complete so no issues with irritated skin (by look either). The strange method I was taught at the hospital was betadine sticks (like oversized q-tips with betadine) where they roll the swabs so as NOT to scrub. Very messy too.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015