Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popped pimple wound or pressure ulcer?

Popped pimple wound or pressure ulcer?

Every now and then I get blackheads, pimples, cysts, etc on my butt (usually the left cheek, which I think also gets a bit more pressure than my right cheek). The pimples/cysts are generally a little firm, and can get larger (inflamed?) when I've sat on something hard, like the toilet while catheterizing or having a BM - my ROHO cushion, on the other hand, doesn't cause this to happen.

Had another one of these starting around last weekend, and then it popped about three days ago. Usually when this happens, I'll throw a bandaid over it to prevent it from rubbing, or coming into contact with anything dirty, while it heals, which usually only takes a couple days. This time around, it looks like it's still draining slightly after the third day, so I'm wondering if at this point this is a sore, or still just a popped pimple, but taking longer to heal because it's right over a bony prominence, and the top layer of new skin keeps getting pulled off with the bandaid when I shower.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Notice the red ringed skin around? Indicative of a pressure sore. Also, the dry skin = loss of moisture. An actual nurse will tell you better, but try adding saline solution when you take the band-aid off to stop the loss of new skin cells developing.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I would have used Bacitracin by now. Hope it disappears.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The pressure of sitting on the area can make a weakened spot evolve into a pressure ulcer. Use saline to remove the dressing and try to remove the pressure from the area. Is it warm to the touch? Soft or hard around the area? If it doesn't look any better after the weekend, I would see your primary care provider just to make sure. Without actually being able to see it and touch it, it is hard to tell what may be going on.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

If that on your left hip/side of the butt and do you sleep on your left side? If so, that makes me more worried about a pressure sore. Try to stay off it and see your doc.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Is it warm to the touch? Soft or hard around the area? If it doesn't look any better after the weekend, I would see your primary care provider just to make sure. Without actually being able to see it and touch it, it is hard to tell what may be going on.
    ckf
    It was warmer when it was a pimple, but now I'd say it's about the same temperature - at least not noticeably different. The area itself is a bit firmer, but the surrounding area is the same softness as other undamaged areas. I'll set up an appointment if this doesn't improve though!

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    If that on your left hip/side of the butt and do you sleep on your left side?
    Left side yeah, but I've been sleeping on my right the past week or so, ever since I first noticed the pimple, and especially after it popped. I think most of the pressure now is a result of sitting on the toilet, and I'm not sure how to get around that.

These kinds of "pimples" usually don't spontaneously "pop." Did some one pick at it? Certainly stay off of it until it is healed.

There are cushioned toilet seats that may help relieve pressure when you are on the toilet. Roho makes something and there are other padded seat options.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    These kinds of "pimples" usually don't spontaneously "pop." Did some one pick at it? Certainly stay off of it until it is healed.

There are cushioned toilet seats that may help relieve pressure when you are on the toilet. Roho makes something and there are other padded seat options.
    Nah, popped while I was sitting on the toilet: it's right where the back portion of my hip (when sitting) would be more or less right on top of it.

I actually have a padded toilet seat at home, but it's gone flat over the past few months: just picked up a K Cushion based off of what I've seen in some other threads here. The ROHO cushion looks way too difficult to use, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I would have used Bacitracin by now. Hope it disappears.
    Thanks! I actually saw you mention this in a few places on previous threads: do you do this while it's still in the pimple stage? Has that helped it go down?

Quote Originally Posted by faji_tama View Post
    Thanks! I actually saw you mention this in a few places on previous threads: do you do this while it's still in the pimple stage? Has that helped it go down?
    Yes. Since I have sensation, I use it as soon as it hurts. I tell my wife I need a patch and she puts some on a band aid for me and sticks it on. In a day or two it's gone. If I neglect it, it gets worse.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.