Thread: Resolved: Catheter Clogging

Resolved: Catheter Clogging

It took a while, but I finally figured out the cause of gunky, particulate super-clogs that never occurred before. Background: 32-years post C4-5 injury. Used to go up to six (6) months without changing suprapubic catheter, without ever flushing/irrigating. Then started getting clogs like crazy! And they would occur often. At least once a week, sometimes several a week. It was crazy! Tried changing diet, exercise, positioning, etc. but nothing worked. Added probiotics and thought that worked, but only for a few weeks (I need to change that post here). Anyway, I FINALLY learned that the pharmacy changed my Oxybutynin (5mg) to a different generic provider. It went from the little blue pill to a slightly bigger white pill, but I don't see the pills because my nurses count them out into a film case for taking with all my vitamins and the probiotic every morning. Well, I made the pharmacy switch back to the manufacturer of the little blue pills and the clogs stopped after about a week or two. It was great!

That is interesting. Mine also got switched. Hopefully I do not have the same side effect.
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"
    http://plegicoutdoorsman.blogspot.com/

Even though they say that generics are the same, one way that they keep the cost of the drug down is by sometimes using different fillers. That could be the issue here. I have had the problem where antibioitics give m an allergic reaction after they go generic. The pharmacist actually figured it out for me. Went back to the original drug aand no problem.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Sorry to dig up an old thread!

This is interesting. I had a pretty severe clogging problem about 8 years ago, and it seemed like overloading vitamin C for a couple of months fixed it. I figured that the pH shift helped to dissolve the sandy sediment.

I've been having the same problem again for about a year. Coincidentally, it happened soon after trying to put lemon in my water every day. Since this alkalizes your body, I figured the previous method of using vitamin C would help again. No dice so far! I can only go 5-14 days before it inevitably clogs again. I have tried vitamin C, urinary probiotics, essential oils, and D-mannose (Recommended by my urologist).

If I contacted my pharmacy, would they have records of such a change from 12 months or more ago?

Quote Originally Posted by EyesOfTexas View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread!

This is interesting. I had a pretty severe clogging problem about 8 years ago, and it seemed like overloading vitamin C for a couple of months fixed it. I figured that the pH shift helped to dissolve the sandy sediment.

I've been having the same problem again for about a year. Coincidentally, it happened soon after trying to put lemon in my water every day. Since this alkalizes your body, I figured the previous method of using vitamin C would help again. No dice so far! I can only go 5-14 days before it inevitably clogs again. I have tried vitamin C, urinary probiotics, essential oils, and D-mannose (Recommended by my urologist).

If I contacted my pharmacy, would they have records of such a change from 12 months or more ago?
    My pharmacy, and others I have been to, supply a "receipt" that shows the name of the drug, the number of tablets/capsules dispensed, date of filling the prescription, date first prescribed, expiration date of the prescription and an expiration date for the medication. Along with that information is the name of the manufacturer of the medication (Teva, Taro, Lannett etc.) If you keep these "receipts" in your medical file or tax file, you should be able to look back and take note of the manufacturer from a year ago.

Otherwise, if you are with the same pharmacy and have been filling a prescription for the same medication at that pharmacy, I think they would have computer records of all medication dispensed to you, with manufacturer information etc.