Thread: Need Advice Please on Hiring a New CNA, Placing Ads in Care.com, Craigslist Etc.

Need Advice Please on Hiring a New CNA, Placing Ads in Care.com, Craigslist Etc.

Hello Everyone,
    I'm looking for advice on hiring a new CNA. I just fired the one who had been working for me for past 4 years, finally! I found a temporary replacement but she can only work for a couple of weeks. I'm a long-time quad but I've pretty much always got my care through agencies. Over the years, I may have hired one or or two on my own and the last one was referred by a friend. I've seen some people mention employment contracts, can someone post a sample copy? With regards to background checks, which is the best website for this? My last CNA occasionally cathed me, is catheterization something I can put in as a requirement (or at least mention) in an ad on Care.com? Also, what do you all pay your aids per hour? I was paying the last CNA $17 an hour but most CNA's I've interviewed with recently want $20 an hour.
    Thanks, any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Daniel G.

Here are some good on-line resources for everything to do with finding, hiring, supervising, and (when needing) firing PCAs:

http://personalcareattendants.com/

http://takecarebooks.com/caregivers-...al-assistants/

http://www.pva.org/CMSPages/GetFile....0-5acb6608a2a4

https://www.amazon.com/AVOIDING-Atte.../dp/1888725605

Here are some previous discussions we have had here:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1102784

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-that-use-PCAs

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=PCA+contract

You can find more using the search feature.

I will post some sample job descriptions, Craig's List ads, and contracts used when I was managing my mother's PCA care. You need all 3: ads, job descriptions, and contracts to do this privately. There are websites where you can pay a few for a background check. Be sure to check on past arrest and conviction record, validity of SS#, and driving record (if you will have the person driving for you). We also asked for a green card or proof of citizenship during the interview, and always checked the references of previous employers.

Our main criteria for hiring was someone who was agreeable to the job description, willing to learn what they did not know how to do, availiability for the hours needed, had their own transportation, and honesty and dependability as reported by previous employers. Many of the PCAs we hired had only had previous experience in caregiving for a family member or friend. A few were nursing students. We did not require HHA or CNA certification, although that was a plus if present and in good standing.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Here is a copy of a contract that one of our members has posted in the past. Doubtless others will post options.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are some samples from when I managed my mother's PCAs. Keep in mind that she passed away in 2012, and the wages listed were prior to that, and in the LA urban area. Wages will vary by location.

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I don't have experience with this (I may soon), but I don't think it's too much to ask a person seeking employment for a police clearance. In Canada, usually $25-50 and good for 30 days. We trace their driver's license back to all places they've lived in the past 30 days and contact each department for local contacts, as well as nationally for any charges. We also 'flag them' as working with vulnerable people (disabled, elderly and children) indicating to look in the records for those instances especially.

They must do this in the States?
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by quadzilla View Post
    hello everyone,
    i'm looking for advice on hiring a new cna. I just fired the one who had been working for me for past 4 years, finally! I found a temporary replacement but she can only work for a couple of weeks. I'm a long-time quad but i've pretty much always got my care through agencies. Over the years, i may have hired one or or two on my own and the last one was referred by a friend. I've seen some people mention employment contracts, can someone post a sample copy? With regards to background checks, which is the best website for this? My last cna occasionally cathed me, is catheterization something i can put in as a requirement (or at least mention) in an ad on care.com? Also, what do you all pay your aids per hour? I was paying the last cna $17 an hour but most cna's i've interviewed with recently want $20 an hour.
    Thanks, any advice is greatly appreciated!
    are these live-in rates?

I don't know about that post above, but we paid a flat monthly rate (not hourly) paid in weekly checks for my mother's live in attendant, and calculated into that what the value of the room and board she was getting. This was negotiated when she transitioned from a part-time caregiver who did not live in, into a live-in. We reviewed and renegotiated this rate with her annually. We did not pay for health insurance for her because she had another full-time job which provided this. We also had other part-time caregivers who were paid an hourly rate, and paid weekly.

(KLD)