Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advantage Bags? Wheelchair backpack advice?

This is what I don't like about the medical professional. You require a degree or a formal study. But at the same time you fail to use common sense.

Why reuse a contaminated item when it's so inexpensive and practical to carry more than one of these bags with you? That way you have a fresh, clean, and uncontaminated process each and every time. When you go home at night, you wash them for the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    I have the Down Under bag and it's alright for smaller things. If StephenD is a lawyer and wants to put files and your typical 8"x11" papers in a bag, the Down Under bag is way to small.
    Yes you are correct. I should have stated that in my reply.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Using a leg bag without straps to drain into (and later discard the urine) instead of a urinal would save you a lot of space needs, and makes easier to avoid spills than a urinal. Keep it in a baggie, and then clean when you return home each day.

(KLD)
    I use a leg bag without straps to drain into and have done so for 24 years. I keep a couple of leg bags in individual zip-loc bags and other cath stuff inside the Advantage bag under the front of my chair and I wash them out every night. To me it's easier to use a leg bag to drain into than say a gatoraide bottle or urinal because the catheter actually fits onto the leg bag and if your hand slips you don't have to deal with piss getting all over you like you would if you use a bottle or urinal.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    Do you have the one that I posted a picture of?
    No, I have the WH 175. It appears as though your model might be good to place files and flat pieces of paper under the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I'm glad you got away with it. But it isn't clean and is an easy way to colonize yourself. Because the tube that connects to the catheter is contaminated. There is a good reason why Medicare pays for single use catheters. This is one of them. DON'T COLONIZE YOURSELF.
    So maybe I don't understand your reasoning, we are talking about a single use intermittent catheter connected to a leg bag? If so how does any sort of infectious agent swim against the stream of urine?

Why carry bags or bottles at all? I use an extension tube and just go into toilets.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    So maybe I don't understand your reasoning, we are talking about a single use intermittent catheter connected to a leg bag? If so how does any sort of infectious agent swim against the stream of urine?

Why carry bags or bottles at all? I use an extension tube and just go into toilets.
    I'm not so sure we are talking about single use catheters. But even if we were, there is the time between when you insert the catheter and urine starts to flow. In that time, there is only stale urine and air inside the catheter.

By the way, there is no 5 second rule for food that hits the floor. By the time you reach down to pick up the food off the floor, it is already contaminated. But feel free to enjoy consuming some raw dog shit or whatever else has contaminated the food if you will. Same reasoning applies here. Who know's what's in there?

I don't bother with a urinal, bag, or tube. Just move my ass onto the front of the cushion and piss away - new catheter each time. Is it overkill? Maybe. But it's disgusting to think of the possibilities otherwise.

Edit: Just to be clear, we aren't talking about just one connection between leg bag and catheter. We are talking about multiple connections to the same used (potentially contaminated) leg bag.
    Last edited by August West; 08-19-2017 at 11:25 PM. Reason: To clarify conditions

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    That is great if you are 1) male, and 2) have access to a wheelchair accessible toilet or well urinal. For women, cathing in their chair, that does not work well, and wondering what you do when you need to cath in the back of your van or car seat, at a friend's home with tiny bathroom doors, or other places where you can't get close to a toilet.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Lofric Hydrokit, has the bag attached and you just throw after every use.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I'm not so sure we are talking about single use catheters. But even if we were, there is the time between when you insert the catheter and urine starts to flow. In that time, there is only stale urine and air inside the catheter.
    This isn't the politics forum, I am honestly curious and not trying to argue. Maybe I don't get it because like I said I use an extension tube, but this is hooking up a single use catheter to a leg bag? is your belief is that germs are going to flow up from the bag, down the 16 inches of air in a catheter and make it into the bladder? Aside from you snarky comment about the 5 second rule I just don't see that happening unless you leave that pathway open for quite a while. It is like your 5 second rule is applying to things that fall within 16 inches of the floor.

I don't bother with a urinal, bag, or tube. Just move my ass onto the front of the cushion and piss away - fresh catheter each time. Is it overkill? Maybe. But it's disgusting to think of the possibilities otherwise.
    Hrm, you are the same level as me but I don't think I have the core balance to do that, plus with the amount of dump in my chair and the 90 degree angle I am fairly sure at some point I would end up going head first into the toilet if I tried that. Tube work fine for me, I rinse it out afterwards and if I am going to use it as a drinking straw I sip some vodka through it first to kill the germs.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    That is great if you are 1) male, and 2) have access to a wheelchair accessible toilet or well urinal. For women, cathing in their chair, that does not work well, and wondering what you do when you need to cath in the back of your van or car seat, at a friend's home with tiny bathroom doors, or other places where you can't get close to a toilet.

(KLD)
    What do I do?