Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advantage Bags? Wheelchair backpack advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    Does anyone have this guy (WH180)? If so, i have a question for you.
    Yep - I have that one.

I recently picked up a Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Bag. I have foldable push handles, so I just hang the messenger bag over the posts. I'm sure you could get someone to create a simple way to hang the bag on your chair - just some webbing and clips.

As an attorney, wouldn't you rather carry a briefcase than a backpack? You can do so with a luggage rack attachment on the front of the wheelchair. Because they are on the front, they don't shift your center of gravity backward and they are easier to access. The briefcase will be most easily secured if the front bar angle is 85 degrees or less (first picture) because that tilts the briefcase backward with your legs recessed and out of the way. If your front end is 90 degrees (second picture) the briefcase will be forward tippy especially if your legs are protruding beyond the front bars. But that's still manageable with a strap between the briefcase handle and the wheelchair cushion handle.

I also use the luggage rack to carry a hand basket when shopping.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by August West; 08-16-2017 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    Yep - I have that one.
    Is the bag stretchy enough to fit a urinal bottle and catheter supplies in the big pocket?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Is the bag stretchy enough to fit a urinal bottle and catheter supplies in the big pocket?
    Using a leg bag without straps to drain into (and later discard the urine) instead of a urinal would save you a lot of space needs, and makes easier to avoid spills than a urinal. Keep it in a baggie, and then clean when you return home each day.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Using a leg bag without straps to drain into (and later discard the urine) instead of a urinal would save you a lot of space needs, and makes easier to avoid spills than a urinal. Keep it in a baggie, and then clean when you return home each day.

(KLD)
    OH! How come I never thought of that? That's a damn good idea. It's been a while since I possessed a leg bag; is the opening large? I'm gonna go look online now, too.

OH! How come I never thought of that? That's a damn good idea. It's been a while since I possessed a leg bag; is the opening large? I'm gonna go look online now, too.
    No, you just need to be sure you are using a catheter with a funnel distal end. Connect the catheter to the bag with that end (with the catheter still inside the package), then remove the catheter, lubricate and insert, drain into the bag, pull out the catheter, disconnect, and discard the catheter. Drain the leg bag when you have access to a toilet.

Be sure to get a leg bag that you can cap at the top, or use the extension tubing and kink that off to assure that you won't have urine leakage until you can get to a toilet (just in case the valve at the inlet to the bag does not work 100%). Of course I must admit a few times, when using this method for cathing my mother in the van or other non-bathroom situations, I drained the urine in places other than toilets!

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

No, you just need to be sure you are using a catheter with a funnel distal end. Connect the catheter to the bag with that end (with the catheter still inside the package), then remove the catheter, lubricate and insert, drain into the bag, pull out the catheter, disconnect, and discard the catheter. Drain the leg bag when you have access to a toilet.

Be sure to get a leg bag that you can cap at the top, or use the extension tubing and kink that off to assure that you won't have urine leakage until you can get to a toilet (just in case the valve at the inlet to the bag does not work 100%). Of course I must admit a few times, when using this method for cathing my mother in the van or other non-bathroom situations, I drained the urine in places other than toilets!

(KLD)
    I'm trying to envision how I'd get that to work. I use these guys...

How would i "go" into the bag? Does the end end of the catheter fit over the shark teeth?

Yes, the green funnel end (drain end) will fit onto a leg bag or leg bag extension tubing. Just remove the protective cap at the top input connector that they often come with in the package. No need to use the straps. Not sure what "shark teeth" are. Here are a few examples.

(KLD)

Yes, the green funnel end (drain end) will fit onto a leg bag or leg bag extension tubing. Just remove the protective cap at the top input connector that they often come with in the package. No need to use the straps. Not sure what "shark teeth" are. Here are a few examples.

(KLD)
    I've seen them with shark teeth for extended tubing so the tube doesn't slide off. I guess that's just how I've heard it.
    This helps an awful lot. Thanks for the input.