Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Advantage Bags? Wheelchair backpack advice?

  1. #1
    Junior Member StephenD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    11

    Advantage Bags? Wheelchair backpack advice?

    Does anyone have experience with these backpacks? https://www.advantagebag.com/collect...chair-bac-pacs If so, what do you think?

    Right now, I use a regular backpack but I'm thinking of switching over to something specifically designed for a wheelchair. The big problem for me is getting the straps over the back of my chair since I ride in a very low profile chair. If any of you wonderful folks have any ideas on modding existing bags I'm all ears.

    Last thing, I need to look professional-ish when I'm rolling around (I'm an attorney) and I usually have to carry some files and my laptop around with me. The reason I like that advantage bag is because it looks like a briefcase.

    Yer pal,
    SD

    p.s.,
    Shout out to all my former APP buddies.



    "Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you. . ."
    --J.P. Sartre

  2. #2
    That site you referenced has some interesting options under the "Down Under Bags" wheelchair bags. I have used the Delux Down Under Bag for years and tried the Down Under Shelf. I used the Sportaid back packs for decades until recent past - hurt my elderly shoulder when trying to pull up the vertical zipper on the side of the pack - I really liked that backpack because I could easily add or retrieve stuff by leaving the zipper open a bit. You may want to check Sportaid web site, too. I now use a purse that sort of rests on my footrest with strap slung over one knee. I'm female, but they have "man purses" that may be more professional looking.
    I liked the concept of that under-seat shelf system, however it was really difficult for me to access things - seems it would have worked if I wanted the grab the items when I was outside of my chair.
    Once had that mesh fabric storage device that attached to frame under chair. I loved it but had a bit of difficulty retrieving stuff. This type of storage might not fit your idea of a professional image. I used to put my bulky camera there and it stayed put.

    If you are planning to twist around and remove a pack from behind your chair, suggest you consider the weight of things inside. Having a second pack on your chair would let you lighten the load. There could be stress on your shoulders to consider.
    There's a pack I've seen advertised in disability related magazines (New Mobility), that fits behind the knees under the front of the chair, with a vertical zipper. It appears someone is sliding a laptop into the pack.

    The type of transportation you use may be considered too. Van travel - no unloading of packs on chair. Car travel - removal of backpack? Subway or cab travel?
    Will add that I've seen a number of chair users who simply place a standard briefcase on their laps. Might make weight shifts more difficult, but nice to have a "desk" to write on, etc.
    Last edited by triumph; 08-08-2017 at 08:39 AM.

  3. #3
    This is what I use. https://www.basil.com/en/malaga-sing...bag-black.html It clips on the back bar and you just lift it off when needed.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenD View Post

    Last thing, I need to look professional-ish when I'm rolling around (I'm an attorney) and I usually have to carry some files and my laptop around with me. The reason I like that advantage bag is because it looks like a briefcase.

    Yer pal,
    SD

    p.s.,
    Shout out to all my former APP buddies.
    An attorney, huh? Would you consider yourself a paralegal?
    See what I did there?
    And welcome back!
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

  5. #5
    Junior Member StephenD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    11
    Believe it or not I sometimes introduce myself as the "paralawyer."

    "Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you. . ."
    --J.P. Sartre

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lone Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Christiansburg, VA
    Posts
    130
    That is the bag I use.It is great.

  7. #7
    Up until this past Wednesday I used an Advantage backpack which they discontinued several years back for the past 23 years, and yes that one backpack lasted all those years. I keep my daily cath stuff in the backpack but it was past time for something new, so I started looking around and saw a video of a fellow para who used a small pack under the front of his chair to hold his daily cath supplies. I ended up ordering the Advantage Deluxe Down-Under pack (model WH175) that fit under the front of my chair. I installed it Wednesday of this past week and found the pack to be just what I needed and it holds all of my stuff. It has 2 compartments, the front one is large enough for my keys, knife, and a small bottle of hand sanitizer and the 2nd and larger compartment holds my daily cath stuff. I wish that I would have changed sooner because my chair looks so much better without my old backpack hanging off the back of my chair.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    479
    Does anyone have this guy (WH180)? If so, i have a question for you.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

  9. #9
    Senior Member smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    2,061
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpybushman View Post
    Up until this past Wednesday I used an Advantage backpack which they discontinued several years back for the past 23 years, and yes that one backpack lasted all those years. I keep my daily cath stuff in the backpack but it was past time for something new, so I started looking around and saw a video of a fellow para who used a small pack under the front of his chair to hold his daily cath supplies. I ended up ordering the Advantage Deluxe Down-Under pack (model WH175) that fit under the front of my chair. I installed it Wednesday of this past week and found the pack to be just what I needed and it holds all of my stuff. It has 2 compartments, the front one is large enough for my keys, knife, and a small bottle of hand sanitizer and the 2nd and larger compartment holds my daily cath stuff. I wish that I would have changed sooner because my chair looks so much better without my old backpack hanging off the back of my chair.
    I have the Down Under bag and it's alright for smaller things. If StephenD is a lawyer and wants to put files and your typical 8"x11" papers in a bag, the Down Under bag is way to small.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    479
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    I have the Down Under bag and it's alright for smaller things. If StephenD is a lawyer and wants to put files and your typical 8"x11" papers in a bag, the Down Under bag is way to small.
    Do you have the one that I posted a picture of?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Similar Threads

  1. Wheelchair backpack
    By DeadEye in forum Equipment
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-12-2016, 11:54 PM
  2. backpack advice
    By t8burst in forum Equipment
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 07:42 AM
  3. Wheelchair Backpack: What do you use?
    By Saorsa in forum Equipment
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 10:07 PM
  4. Wheelchair laptop backpack
    By JustinB in forum Computers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-28-2006, 08:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •