Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need advice to escape my current toxic environment.

All of the above are great suggestions. I think the one to start with small steps is what I would recommend. It will not be easy and you certainly will need to enlist your parents aid at some point. I would also suggest that you begin to take control of your life by sitting down with your mother and explain in as non-threatening a way as you can the issues with the way you are currently using the attendants. She may respond more to that than "I am working towards moving out".

As far as finding attendants, some other places to try are churches, nursing schools and vocational tech programs. No guarantees, but worth the try.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

may i add 1 more hope you have a sp for urinary and get a colostomy for bowels its definetly easier on u and caretaker

Quote Originally Posted by Sythellri View Post
    I insist on trying to go on a diet but she refuses to cooperate often starting huge arguments because I refuse to eat large amounts.
    It is not easy, especially when in your situation but you need to take control. The sooner the better.

Also as long as you have a good math background, there should be no problem getting a computer science degree. As someone on here stated, money can buy you independence. So get your degree, get a job and a place to live. Talk to the vocational service department of your state next week to help finish your education.

BTW, lying in bed and not burning calories while eating a lot of food is not a good thing. The more you weigh makes transfers, getting dressed, weight shifts, every time you need to move your body, requires more energy. Ask anyone on here, trying to lose weight while being a quadriplegic is a very difficult thing.