Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Accident

Car Accident

Hi everyone!

I had the unfortunate experience of getting in an accident. The other driver was at fault and issued a citation for failure to yield to oncoming traffic. I believe my car (Mazda 5) is going to be totaled out.

I have a few questions, if anyone can advise me that would be great!

1. Will the other insurance company pay for my accessibility modifications? My wheelchair lift, transfer seat, and hand controls were paid for by my Vocational Rehabilitation grant, but I did not carry insurance for them. Should I be looking to remove them from the car at the scrap yard, or leave them go and sue the insurance company for its value?

2. Do I get an attorney? I was pretty banged up but did not have any structural damage. Back and neck hurt.

3. I do not have insurance for rental coverage by my own company. Will the other company reimburse me for the rental costs afterward?

4. Is there anything else I need to know? I've never been in an accident (where the other person is at fault).

5. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!! Everything was going so good. I have a girlfriend now, I literally started a new job a week ago, I had a great birthday party, grad school is going awesome. And then this happens. I had a feeling something bad was going to happen for a few days and then this shit went and hit the fan. aer;ogjawersotgawer;ogmawe4;om324q;oitnm324o;itjq3 4. /rage

Thank you ^_^

Sorry this happened to you.

If you're having pain, get yourself checked out by a doctor.

Here is a list of the minimum car insurance requirements by state:

https://www.thebalance.com/understan...ements-2645473

An insurance company will, at best, pay up to the limit of what their client bought.

If the person who hit you has insurance and gave you their information, call the company tomorrow to inquire about their coverage limits. Just as a general guess, someone who has little to no personal assets may only carry the minimum coverage while someone with vulnerable assets may purchase higher liability limits or even an "umbrella" policy to cover catastrophic injury. An attorney can determine if the person who hurt you can cover damages beyond the auto policy limits.

Most importantly: DONT SIGN ANYTHING! The other insurance company will try to minimize the accident and offer you very little. Get an attorney!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    Here is a list of the minimum car insurance requirements by state:

https://www.thebalance.com/understan...ements-2645473

An insurance company will, at best, pay up to the limit of what their client bought.

Oh dear. Wisconsin...$10,000 property. I suppose I will find out more tomorrow after my insurance representative talks to them. Is he (my insurance representative) on my side by the way?

FYI, typically unless your car was hit in rear, or was completely stopped at the time, your insurance will be assigned a certain % of contributory negligence and your insurance will pay that % of restoration/ replacement for both vehicles involved.

Quote Originally Posted by juniorsenior View Post
    Is he (my insurance representative) on my side by the way?
    An employee's loyalty is to the person who signs their paycheck. Make sure that the insurance agents knows your mobility needs and rental car adaptations are different than their average client. Get everything in writing from them and write down the name of everyone you've talked with.

Date & time you talked to them is important as well. The more documentation you have the better.

also if you have any invoices from when you had your mazda adapted to begin with your insurance company and theirs really may ask for them to help them estimate how much it may cost them to either repair or replace them.
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

You do not want the hand controls and such from a vehicle accident. You have no idea if they have been comprised also nobody will legally install those hand controls in another vehicle.

Here in Michigan you need to insuer accessibility modifications. otherwise they just cover the cost of the vehicle. the value of it at the time of the wreck. not what you paid for it. this is why I try and drive it only when I have to. Have a 2012 dodge van with only 8,500 miles on it. Have a 2003 s10 pickup I use for driving around in unless am getting out for something. If I got in a wreck with that my fault or not they give me almost nothing for it. Only have 22,000 miles on it. look at Kelly blue book for what they are worth. Older they are less you get. Millage doesn't make much of a difference anymore.
    Last edited by Art454; 08-07-2017 at 12:44 AM.
    Art