Thread: do I have nerve damage?

do I have nerve damage?

I?m a C5/6, 17 years out, and here?s my LOOOONG story?

I remember in the hospital (right after my injury) that there were times I could hardly stand to wear something w/a sleeve on my left arm because it felt like there were all these needles poking into my arm. An EMG was done and I was put on nortyrptline. My physiatrist at the time thought that I also had tendonitis and put me on Celebrex (I also started to wear a compression cuff. I had several and was in serious pain when the one I had on was taken off and replaced by a clean one).

Over the years the pain has been occasional ? sometimes frequent intense twinges or I?ll go for days and be pain free. Several months ago my current physiatrist thought the cuff was actually causing pain by compressing the area too tightly. He took the cuff off and I was surprised to be in less pain than expected, so I assumed the tendonitis had healed. I stopped taking the medication for this condition and saw no increased pain.

Recently another EMG was done and the results were ?normal? (no nerve damage or carpel tunnel damage). How can this be true if I still have pain?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

You are probably experiencing neuropathic pain, which is a result of the neurotransmitters not being in tune with each other. It does not have anything to do with the peripheral nerve itself- just the chemicals that the nerves use to transmit. Can you describe the pain for me? Dull, sharp, burning, etc. On a scale from 1-10, how intense is it/ Does anything relieve it? I might be able to give you some ideas on how to handle it if I know the above.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

the pain I have now isn't the same as in the hospital-sleeves don't bother me now. it's in my lower arm now. sharp, intense, & not at all like the nerve pain I have all the time (numbness and tingling(. only comes occasionally, and is about a 7 or 8

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You are probably experiencing neuropathic pain, which is a result of the neurotransmitters not being in tune with each other. It does not have anything to do with the peripheral nerve itself- just the chemicals that the nerves use to transmit. Can you describe the pain for me? Dull, sharp, burning, etc. On a scale from 1-10, how intense is it/ Does anything relieve it? I might be able to give you some ideas on how to handle it if I know the above.

ckf
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

I am not a physician so diagnosing is not in my bag of tricks. However, are there certain positions that make it worse or better? Any activities make it worse or better? Does anything (not just medication) relieve it? That is pretty severe pain if you are describing it as a 7-8. How are you managing it?
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.