Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Hemorrhoids question

External Hemorrhoids question

A problem many of us, if not all of use have is hemorrhoids. I know, the question has been discussed hundreds of times here. My question is: has anyone found a new substance or, something that can shrink external hemorrhoids? I have been using witch hazel, steroids, sitz baths, you name it, I probably have used it. Had surgery a few years ago, worked for awhile but, they are back again to make things difficult. Just wondering. What do some of you use and find some satisfaction with.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Preparation-H ointment will temporarily shrink hemorrhoids, but there is no topical cream, ointment, or spray that can repair the damage to the walls of the blood vessels that are what makes hemorrhoids. I have seen several of my clients need to have hemorrhoid surgery or banding done every 5-10 years, so if it has been a while, you may need to consider having this done again.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Unfortunaely, I agree with the above. No new magic potent or cure. So sorry... it is a pain.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    So sorry... it is a pain.

ckf

Yeah, literally!

Are yours swollen all of the time, or they just swell while you are doing your bowel program and then regress?

My Dad's swell when he does his bowels. So then he uses Preparation - H. Make sure you use the one with epinephrine in it - that tends to work the best and the quickest. And after my Dad gets off the toilet and gets dressed, he sits on a soft ice pack for several minutes while he is brushing his teeth and getting ready for bed etc... It also helps them shrink and it numbs the pain.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Same here, the pain is starting to become ridiculous.
    I had a little luck with Witch Hazel suppositories.

I like the ice pack idea, I haven't tried that yet.
    The great internet of knowledge seems to think Aloe Vera is a good idea, I tried a little with no great success, but trying to figure a better source.

I wonder whether there would be something you could put in an enema, similar to the sitz bath idea but inside the bowel and then flush out at the end of the bowel program kind of thing. No idea what I could add to water. It seemed like the time I could get into the sea was the best they've been, so wondering about a salt water enema?

This is the type of ice pack my Dad uses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is soft, so safe to sit on and wont cause a pressure sore. You store it in your freezer between uses so it is cold when you need it. It never gets so cold that you could burn yourself if you sit on it and forget about it.

My Dad literally uses this every day. He actually has two. One of them he sits on every day when his neuropathic butt pain (burning butt) gets bad. Usually while he's eating dinner. It works better than pain meds, although he takes those as well. And he then sits on the other one after his bowel program, as I mentioned.

He has tried other topicals in the past, and never found much luck with them. He did go through a period where he used steroid suppositories regularly with some relief.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Thanks.

ha ha... he really looks like he needs to ice his knee

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    This is the type of ice pack my Dad uses.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is soft, so safe to sit on and wont cause a pressure sore. You store it in your freezer between uses so it is cold when you need it. It never gets so cold that you could burn yourself if you sit on it and forget about it.

My Dad literally uses this every day. He actually has two. One of them he sits on every day when his neuropathic butt pain (burning butt) gets bad. Usually while he's eating dinner. It works better than pain meds, although he takes those as well. And he then sits on the other one after his bowel program, as I mentioned.

He has tried other topicals in the past, and never found much luck with them. He did go through a period where he used steroid suppositories regularly with some relief.

I have some major ones as well, but they dont cause me any pain (no sensation there), so I tend to ignore them. Is there any need to address these through surgery as you suggested? Is there any long-term complications that could result from not addressing them?

Virgin Coconut Oil seems to help, I smear some on mine, then dab off the excess each morning, after a session on the bog!