Thread: Varilite Icon vs ADI Backrest

Varilite Icon vs ADI Backrest

Has anyone tried the Varilite and the ADI backrests? I was looking for real life experiences with the two. I'm trying to find a solid back that will provide more comfort and lateral support than the typical upholstery tension back.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

look at roho agility with air insert. super comfy, I use mine flipped. the adi is hard imo. I haven't tried icon
    Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    Has anyone tried the Varilite and the ADI backrests? I was looking for real life experiences with the two. I'm trying to find a solid back that will provide more comfort and lateral support than the typical upholstery tension back.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have a Varilite Icon I just recently changed out for a Java Ride back. I never used the air part of it because the inflation took away from the lateral support. I've got a closet full of backs trying to get a good lateral support. The Varalite is the next one going in.

The Java Ride is the best one I've found with good adjustment and adequate lateral support. Unlike the others including Varilite, one change in adjustment would affect another measurement. With the Java, there are independent adjustments that allowed me to sit straighter and more comfortably. I'm in their demo back now and am waiting for the deeper lateral to try out before deciding which one. I have the feeling it will be this one.

I'm using it along with the Java Ride cushion. It's really made a difference using the two and has been beneficial to my healing a recent flap surgery.

I cannot report on both, as you'd like, but I have been using the Varilite Icon for a number of years now. The Icon is the only solid back I have used. There may be others, but it is the one I have found that gives me the most depth adjustability. It has both padding and an air insert, I keep the air deflated. I am happy with it, but would prefer it had two clamps on each side rather than one, if possible and still allow for tilt adjust; it also gets squeaky after some time, I could probably resolve that if I took the time.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'm going to go with the Roho Agility.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

I have an adi back and it provides much more support than a fabric back.
    It does not have the lateral support that my fabric one due to the adi mounting farther forward
    However, adi has a deep back version i seriously considered, but i lean over my wheels way too often
    My OT suggested I put small vertical pads towards the outer edges, between the padding and the hard back to increase lateral support
    Maybe I'll try it just for gits and shiggles

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I have a Varilite Icon I just recently changed out for a Java Ride back. I never used the air part of it because the inflation took away from the lateral support. I've got a closet full of backs trying to get a good lateral support. The Varalite is the next one going in.

The Java Ride is the best one I've found with good adjustment and adequate lateral support. Unlike the others including Varilite, one change in adjustment would affect another measurement. With the Java, there are independent adjustments that allowed me to sit straighter and more comfortably. I'm in their demo back now and am waiting for the deeper lateral to try out before deciding which one. I have the feeling it will be this one.

I'm using it along with the Java Ride cushion. It's really made a difference using the two and has been beneficial to my healing a recent flap surgery.
    Patrick, we have communicated in the past about lateral support and other seating matters. Since reading your post I have been researching the Java Ride back. My question: do you think having the Java Ride cusion is an itegral part of achieving the success in seating with the Ride cushion that you are experiencing?

I am wondering about looking into Java Ride Back but staying with my Roho Quadtro cushion.

As you stated, I have a closet full of rigid backs but still have not found one that works or a DME that knows how to properly fit them. Some impressive info on Java Ride Back on Youtube.
    Thanks in advance, Paul