Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vasectomy

vasectomy

any experiences with this? issues?? thx
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

mine was done pre sci so dont think id be much help.

I only had one patient who had a vasectomy after his SCI. Most men with SCI don't ejaculate at all, even retrograde, so it is not a commonly needed procedure. The patient I had did not know he was ejaculating during intercourse...had an unexpected pregnancy 6 months after rehab, then another (twins!) two years later, so came to see me about this issue. His urologist did the vasectomy with no problems.

The biggest issue for someone with SCI would be doing the post-operative ejaculation test (usually done 2-4 weeks after surgery) for the absence of sperm in the ejaculate. You may have to discuss with your urologist difficulties doing this if you cannot ejaculate with vibration or masturbation for this purpose.

Of course, as with any surgery below the level of your injury, there must be a pre-operative plan for managing any AD during and following the procedure, and if you also have sensation, pain management should be planned ahead of time. Most often this is done as an outpatient procedure, but if you get AD readily, you may want to consider having an overnight (23 hour) admission to the hospital.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

thx kld, he is doing it when I'm in surgery for stent removal so i'll be asleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I only had one patient who had a vasectomy after his SCI. Most men with SCI don't ejaculate at all, even retrograde, so it is not a commonly needed procedure. The patient I had did not know he was ejaculating during intercourse...had an unexpected pregnancy 6 months after rehab, then another (twins!) two years later, so came to see me about this issue. His urologist did the vasectomy with no problems.

The biggest issue for someone with SCI would be doing the post-operative ejaculation test (usually done 2-4 weeks after surgery) for the absence of sperm in the ejaculate. You may have to discuss with your urologist difficulties doing this if you cannot ejaculate with vibration or masturbation for this purpose.

Of course, as with any surgery below the level of your injury, there must be a pre-operative plan for managing any AD during and following the procedure, and if you also have sensation, pain management should be planned ahead of time. Most often this is done as an outpatient procedure, but if you get AD readily, you may want to consider having an overnight (23 hour) admission to the hospital.

(KLD)
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

You still need a plan for AD management post-op. Discuss this with him prior to the surgery (and before giving consent for the procedure).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

JP, I have known a few guys who had this done. They did not mention any problems. I did not realize that I ejaculated until I started having intercourse with a condom to catch any urine dribble. But it was infrequent and unpredictable. IMO it is better to be safe than sorry.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Most men with SCI don't ejaculate at all, even retrograde, so it is not a commonly needed procedure.

I would feel much more confident if you said all men with SCI don't ejaculate. At age 44 I definitely don't want to get a surprise. Just saying!

Actually, research shows that 8-10% with SCI ejaculate with either masturbation or intercourse. I always taught my clients to not assume they are not ejaculating if they don't want to father children, and continue to use some form of birth control until they are confident that this is consistent for them. I spent a lot more time counseling clients in how to achieve a pregnancy than how to prevent one!

(KLD)

thx all. my wife has been covering this for us for 10 yrs and she's ready to get off birth control, she was going to get her tubes tied but as my uro pointed out much less involved to fix me.
    SCI55 I'm like you hit and miss just depends, but we do not want kids for sure.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    thx all. my wife has been covering this for us for 10 yrs and she's ready to get off birth control, she was going to get her tubes tied but as my uro pointed out much less involved to fix me.
    SCI55 I'm like you hit and miss just depends, but we do not want kids for sure.
    Better safe then sorry! Good luck!