Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new tilite tr specs and CAD

My new tilite tr specs and CAD

Hi Everyone
    Over the past couple months I've been speccing out my next chair. I'm still on my first chair, a tilite aero z. I'm really excited about getting this new TR. I'm very lucky to be having it paid for by a local fire department club. I know there's a lot of smart people on here when it comes to setting up chairs. Let me know what you think.

c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Your TR is similar to mine ergo, too!! Mine is absolutely fabulous: super nimble and stable;
    only the tires need attention. Sure hope yours fits you as well as mine fits me

My only TR caveat is Tilite's performance casters were a major dissapointment. I switched to FrogLegs,
    which (in my case) work exponentially better.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    curious, what is the idea behind the flat part above the axle and then the slope to the front?
    looks to be about 7" of flat.
    Mine just slopes all the way to the back of the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Your TR is similar to mine ergo, too!! Mine is absolutely fabulous: super nimble and stable;
    only the tires need attention. Sure hope yours fits you as well as mine fits me

My only TR caveat is Tilite's performance casters were a major dissapointment. I switched to FrogLegs,
    which (in my case) work exponentially better.
    What kind of issues did you run into chas? I had the FrogLegs on my previous two TR's and the TiLite's on my current TR, which I have been using for 1 1/2 years now, and I haven't had any issues.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Wills77 View Post
    Hi Everyone
    Over the past couple months I've been speccing out my next chair. I'm still on my first chair, a tilite aero z. I'm really excited about getting this new TR. I'm very lucky to be having it paid for by a local fire department club. I know there's a lot of smart people on here when it comes to setting up chairs. Let me know what you think.
    Here are a few suggestions:

1. Make sure the gap between your front frame tubes at the footrest is only as wide as the widest shoes you have, 11" seems a little wide. This will keep your casters from hitting your feet.

2. I would recommend the titanium tube footplate if you don't need it to flip out of the way. Its much lighter and you don't have to tighten it every once in a while to keep it from moving down.

3. If you can I would suggest getting the plastic footplate they offer with sides on it to keep your feet from sliding off the sides of the footplate. You can velcro this to the footplate that comes on the chair.

4. I personally haven't seen much difference in 5" casters and 4", so I switched back to 4" to give a little more clearance between my footplate as well as turning.

5. I see you have a lot of carbon fiber. If you can, ADI can make a carbon seat pan that comes in two pieces to fit an ergo frame. I had them do that for mine. I velcroed it to my frame to avoid all the hardware as well.

6. A rigid backrest would be a nice upgrade too. ADI makes a nice carbon one with fixed hardware to save alot of weight.

7. If you use the bar under the seat to lift the chair into your vehicle, make sure they locate it where you can reach it. They sent my first frame with that bar 5" off of the dimension I gave them and I couldn't reach it, so I had to send the frame back.

8. If you can afford it, hub lock brakes (D's or Surelock) will make your life so much easier. I will never go back to scissor locks.

9. Lastly, if you plan on ever using a smart drive, they suggest the titanium camber tube instead of the carbon one.

Brad, a couple comments to your #1 and #4 as regards casters hitting feet. TiLite determines where to set the casters of any chair based on all the specs, so the size of the caster shouldn't matter, they will design for it; same with the footrest width, although I prefer a narrower footrest and there has to be a limit on how far they come in.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Brad, a couple comments to your #1 and #4 as regards casters hitting feet. TiLite determines where to set the casters of any chair based on all the specs, so the size of the caster shouldn't matter, they will design for it; same with the footrest width, although I prefer a narrower footrest and there has to be a limit on how far they come in.
    I understand they design for it. But if your footplate is wider than it needs to be, then your casters are going to be pushed out further than they need to be (so they don't hit the footplate) which will increase the footprint of your chair, especially when turning in tight spaces. It's the same thing with the casters. Tilite has to mount the forks further out to the sides for 5" casters than they do for 4". I know we're splitting hairs with this stuff, but I want my chair to take up as little space as possible. Keeping my footplate narrow and casters pulled in as much as they can makes a difference for me in tight spaces. I went from a ZRA with a wider footplate and 5" casters to a TR with a narrower footplate and 4" casters.

Comparing Will's CAD to mine (in the sticky thread) is a good contrast; Wills chair is going to be 15" wide, mine is 16; he has 5" casters and 25" wheels, I have 4" and 24"; he has an 11" footplate, mines 10"; and lastly the width from caster to caster is 19" for Will and 16" for me.
    Three inches makes a huge difference (giggity). Personally, that would drive me insane.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Here are a few suggestions:

1. Make sure the gap between your front frame tubes at the footrest is only as wide as the widest shoes you have, 11" seems a little wide. This will keep your casters from hitting your feet.

2. I would recommend the titanium tube footplate if you don't need it to flip out of the way. Its much lighter and you don't have to tighten it every once in a while to keep it from moving down.

3. If you can I would suggest getting the plastic footplate they offer with sides on it to keep your feet from sliding off the sides of the footplate. You can velcro this to the footplate that comes on the chair.

4. I personally haven't seen much difference in 5" casters and 4", so I switched back to 4" to give a little more clearance between my footplate as well as turning.

5. I see you have a lot of carbon fiber. If you can, ADI can make a carbon seat pan that comes in two pieces to fit an ergo frame. I had them do that for mine. I velcroed it to my frame to avoid all the hardware as well.

6. A rigid backrest would be a nice upgrade too. ADI makes a nice carbon one with fixed hardware to save alot of weight.

7. If you use the bar under the seat to lift the chair into your vehicle, make sure they locate it where you can reach it. They sent my first frame with that bar 5" off of the dimension I gave them and I couldn't reach it, so I had to send the frame back.

8. If you can afford it, hub lock brakes (D's or Surelock) will make your life so much easier. I will never go back to scissor locks.

9. Lastly, if you plan on ever using a smart drive, they suggest the titanium camber tube instead of the carbon one.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll post pictures on the next post down to show how my current setup fits

1. My current chair is 15" wide and the foot rest is 11" wide. I made a carbon fiber footplate that is 8 3/4 wide by 9 1/4 deep. I wear size 11.5 shoes.

2. I can stand with my implanted stim device. With my current chair I need to stand from the side because the footplate sticks too far out for me to get my feet underneath of me. This is my reason for the flip up foot plate.

3. I've been thinking about a setup like that because my feet occasionally slide off the side and hit my castors... very annoying.

4. I would like smaller castors but live in the woods and go through the grass and rougher stuff often so I use 5"

5. I'm going to cut my current carbon fiber seat pan to fit my new ergo seat. I have an aluminum on to put back on my current chair.

6. I currently have the ADI carbon back. I'm going with the roho carbon back (still made by ADI) on my new chair. Both are 15" wide so I can swap to whichever I prefer.

7. I do use that bar to lift my chair into the car. On my current chair its about 9 inches in front of the front side of the backrest mount. On the CAD it looks to be roughly 12 inches in front of the same point. I'll change that.

8. I though about that but didn't want the extra weight and can't add to the price at this point.

9. I have a smart drive mx1 but only used it a few times. If I put it on the carbon fiber tube I'll be careful about tightening it down.
    Last edited by Wills77; 08-09-2017 at 12:00 AM.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    tilite aero z s2

Pictures of how my current foot plate fits

c6 inc since 2-19-11
    tilite aero z s2