Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best treatment for moisture lesion

So let me understand your point of view. One nurse told you the alternating cushion goes from low to high pressure. He is essentially right because that is how an alternating cushion works. The posterior is getting periods of low and then higher pressure when compared to a cushion that just sits there with constant pressure all day long. Its kind of a no brainer, don't you think? Half the time the posterior gets low pressure as opposed to all day long with constant pressure that requires you to do manual pressure lifts every 20 minutes?
    If you look at their website and read the clinical information, not the testimonials but the clinical data that was written by medical personnel, one case tudy stands out and that is the Dr. Holliman study. He had a stage 4 wound and 2 surgical debridements for a wound that measured 15 cm x 8 cm x 0.6cm. He got the aquila and extended his sitting time to 12 hours per day and the wound was continuing to heal to the point of 4 cm x 2 cm x .01cm per his 2nd status update. Yes, testimonials can be written by anyone, you are right about that but the clinical reports on the Aquila site were written by medical personnel. If a person looks hard enough on the internet they can find negative statements on probably every product under the sun but why would you spend time trying to find ammunition to bash a cushion that does great things for people? My guess is that it doesn't give great results for everybody. No cushion will be beneficial and work for every person. that is quite impossible but your negative approach to this cushion is not helpful to the people that it may find great benefit from it.

You made a statement about no people coming on this site and documenting the healing of an ulcer with the aquila. Its completely up to them if they want to post their healing results on any website they choose but maybe they have not because they have better things to do with their time. It could be they are enjoying being up and out of bed.
    I wish you the best as you are begin your 5th week in bed ironside. Really.

The nurse I was talking about is a community liaison charge nurse who works out of the Duke of Cornwall Spinal Treatment Centre at Salisbury in Wiltshire UK. He is a very experienced nurse who's been working with spinal-cord injury patients for many years. He is not going to be negative about a cushion if he didn't think his comments were justified. Always said was that in order for the cushion to work you will be under high pressures for periods of time throughout the whole day. I'm not sure I would be very happy about that if I had a serious pressure ulcer. Anyway, I've not said the cushion doesn't work, I have just expressed my opinion. And I have had one of these cushions some years ago.

They are trying to sell this cushion for a lot of money so of course, the information on their website is going to be very positive. But at the end of the day, you have only got their word for how well it works.If you search around then you will also find quite a few people who have had a negative experience with this cushion.

If I had been suffering from serious pressure ulcer and this cushion has allowed me to heal while still sitting up then I would want to tell people about it. I do find it rather strange that there aren't any people telling their stories of how this cushion enabled them to heal while still sitting up.

Alternating mattresses are very common in hospitals and private households. People are given them automatically over here in the UK. Because you are lying on a large surface area they are very efficient. A wheelchair cushion has very little surface area to work efficiently like a mattress. I feel that if alternating conditions worked as well then they would also be readily available. After all, it costs a lot of money for a nurse to visit someone every other day for several months, a lot more money than it would cost to provide an alternating cushion to someone.

Like I said earlier, I did have one of these cushions in 2005. However, I purchased it more out of panic than anything else. I didn't have a pressure ulcer when I was sitting on it so I can't offer any information on whether it would work.
    Last edited by Ironside; 08-06-2017 at 12:08 AM.

The nurse you refer to could do well to contact Dr. Holliman himself to discuss the fantastic healing Dr. Holliman achieved with the aquila cushion. Maybe it will open his eyes a bit and he may be able to help people in the future by telling them about this cushion. If Dr. Holliman explains the principle of alternating cushions to him it may make more sense. To even the layperson it makes so much sense. It is better for the posterior to get periods of pressure relief like what the alternating cushion gives than to have constant pressure on the posterior. If the pressure is too high you just change the setting to a lower pressure. Not very difficult to understand. This is just common sense to me anyway. All I know is that it worked fantastic for my dad and he had a stage 4 very serious pressure sore.
    The cushion is not cheap. It did the job that no other cushion could for my dad and so it was more than worth the cost. It healed his stage 4 pressure sore and he was able to sit while it was healing. Kind of the same story as Dr. Holliman only smaller in size. Anyway, the information on their website that is written by medial staff and PHD’s and regular doctors cannot be made up. Even you must be able to see that.
    You seem to be very bitter and I get that. You are stuck in bed for over 4 weeks now with a sore and you are angry but why bash this cushion? The aquila didn’t give you the sore right?
    Sure every cushion wont work for everybody. Nothing will. But don’t ruin what could be a very good solution for the visitors to this site by bashing it. This site is about sharing information that can lead to helping people. The visitors can make their own decisions based on their experiences. Besides I am pretty sure if the cushion doesn’t work it can be returned in a reasonable amount of time.
    You can still fulfill your desire to spew hate by looking for a website that is all about negative comments. I bet there is such a website out there. You can probably find hateful negative comments on every product on the market on such a site.
    I refer back to your last sentence on your most recent post. “I didn't have a pressure ulcer when I was sitting on it so I can't offer any information on whether it would work”.
    You can’t offer information on whether it would work if there were a sore. Dr. Holliman and the other medical staff that submitted reports on the healing qualities of the aquila observed the healing and wrote their reports.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlstreet View Post
    The nurse you refer to could do well to contact Dr. Holliman himself to discuss the fantastic healing Dr. Holliman achieved with the aquila cushion. Maybe it will open his eyes a bit and he may be able to help people in the future by telling them about this cushion. If Dr. Holliman explains the principle of alternating cushions to him it may make more sense. To even the layperson it makes so much sense. It is better for the posterior to get periods of pressure relief like what the alternating cushion gives than to have constant pressure on the posterior. If the pressure is too high you just change the setting to a lower pressure. Not very difficult to understand. This is just common sense to me anyway. All I know is that it worked fantastic for my dad and he had a stage 4 very serious pressure sore.
    The cushion is not cheap. It did the job that no other cushion could for my dad and so it was more than worth the cost. It healed his stage 4 pressure sore and he was able to sit while it was healing. Kind of the same story as Dr. Holliman only smaller in size. Anyway, the information on their website that is written by medial staff and PHD’s and regular doctors cannot be made up. Even you must be able to see that.
    You seem to be very bitter and I get that. You are stuck in bed for over 4 weeks now with a sore and you are angry but why bash this cushion? The aquila didn’t give you the sore right?
    Sure every cushion wont work for everybody. Nothing will. But don’t ruin what could be a very good solution for the visitors to this site by bashing it. This site is about sharing information that can lead to helping people. The visitors can make their own decisions based on their experiences. Besides I am pretty sure if the cushion doesn’t work it can be returned in a reasonable amount of time.
    You can still fulfill your desire to spew hate by looking for a website that is all about negative comments. I bet there is such a website out there. You can probably find hateful negative comments on every product on the market on such a site.
    I refer back to your last sentence on your most recent post. “I didn't have a pressure ulcer when I was sitting on it so I can't offer any information on whether it would work”.
    You can’t offer information on whether it would work if there were a sore. Dr. Holliman and the other medical staff that submitted reports on the healing qualities of the aquila observed the healing and wrote their reports.
    I am not going to continue to argue with you. It strikes me as if you are the kind of person who doesn't like it if somebody disagrees with you.

My question was related to a problem caused by moisture. I don't need advice on cushions, I already have a suitable cushion. You took it upon yourself to try and sell me a cushion which I have already tried and have absolutely no interest in. However, you just won't let the matter go and have now resorted to childish insults, probably in the hope that you are somehow going to upset me. If that's the case then you have failed miserably.

And for the record, I am neither bitter or angry about my situation. I've been in a wheelchair for 31 years and problems like this are something one has to accept will happen occasionally. I prefer to keep a smile on my face and a good attitude, that's one of the best remedies for recovery.

Somewhere along the line, this post got lost in the world of cushions. I am going to avoid cushions in my response and stick to wound healing. While wounds do like moist over dry, they can get too moist. That maybe the case with yours. In the event that it is, I would recommend what kld already did. Also, try to get it dried out a bit. The last thing you need is a maceration on top of the area! You probably already know this, but stay away from talcum powder or any powder for that matter - it just cakes. And try to keep off of it.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.