Thread: Duette catheters self deflate?

Duette catheters self deflate?

hello all. just recently got an SP done and am due for my first catheter change. been wanting to switch to the duette catheter but i`ve inflated 2 of them (with saline), a 16 & 18 fr., to show to my uro. the 18 fr. deflated itself within 48 hrs and the 16 fr. has gotten smaller over the course of 3 weeks. needless to say i`m worried about using these catheters for fear of them slipping out in between changes. not sure if its a valve stem problem with duette catheters or if its a normal thing with all foleys. i`m new to all this so if anyone can chime in with their experience using these catheters pls do so.
    C3-C4 complete quad
    since 1/2004
    "I don't fear death, only the method of dying"

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckd View Post
    hello all. just recently got an SP done and am due for my first catheter change. been wanting to switch to the duette catheter but i`ve inflated 2 of them (with saline), a 16 & 18 fr., to show to my uro. the 18 fr. deflated itself within 48 hrs and the 16 fr. has gotten smaller over the course of 3 weeks. needless to say i`m worried about using these catheters for fear of them slipping out in between changes. not sure if its a valve stem problem with duette catheters or if its a normal thing with all foleys. i`m new to all this so if anyone can chime in with their experience using these catheters pls do so.
    This has been discussed here:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...duette+deflate

I did a similar test as you will see pictured on that thead. I talked to a contact at Poiesis and they pointed out a critical flaw in my test, that being that the test would have been more accurate if it had been performed with the balloons submerged in water, more similar to the environment of the bladder. They reasoned that the open air environment would result in more fluid loss than if the balloons had been submerged in water.

That said, Poiesis is aware that there is fluid loss over the course of wearing the Duette catheter for 4-5 weeks. It has been suggested that half way through the wear time that you deflate the balloons one at a time (retaining/anchor balloon - "none black" - first) with a syringe and top up the liquid if necessary. I have never had an incident where the catheter has come out due to fluid loss. Poiesis sent me a few samples of a new product they are working on introducing as an adjunct product to their catheters. These are prefilled syringes containing sterile Aqueous Glycerine Solution (10%). In their testing, they have found little or no fluid loss over a period of wear.

I used this solution the last time I changed catheters. I will change the catheter around August 16, and will report my findings on the thread referenced above.

thx for the link and reply
    C3-C4 complete quad
    since 1/2004
    "I don't fear death, only the method of dying"