Thread: Higher level quads, backrest angle

Higher level quads, backrest angle

Hi, I'm curious at what angle those that are higher level quads have their backrest angle set at? Up until my current chair (F3), I've only had chairs with tilt, and I always was at a slight tilt for better balance and comfort. Now that I have recline, I've noticed that I'm always reclined some. I feel my posture looks better the closer I am to sitting at 90*, but I feel it strains my neck. Of course it also effects my balance too. I know this is very subjective, but just curious about others'.

That's the beauty of tilt and recline. I am constantly changing my angle throughout the day depending what I am doing. Can not imagine life without it.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

92 but that's a manual chair
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thank you to the 2 responses (of the 319 who viewed this post so far)

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    92 but that's a manual chair
    Is that 92 regardless of dump fuent? As in 92 degrees with 2-3 inches dump?

The longer I am in the chair the worse I get at doing my own seating. At T2 level I am sitting up pretty straight but if I take arms /elbows/ hands off stabilizers ( wheels,etc) I am raggedy Andy balance wise...

4 in dump and 92 back angle ches. Maybe lower your frame measurements so you sit deeper in the chair to help the weeble wobble
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    4 in dump and 92 back angle ches. Maybe lower your frame measurements so you sit deeper in the chair to help the weeble wobble
    Sounds good, thanks.

eta: was in a hurry this morning, you hit it spot on with the "weeble wobble" effect!
    Last edited by ChesBay; 08-02-2017 at 05:21 PM.

I think you should really concentrate on how comfortable you are. It's all very well thinking that you should be sitting up straight, however if you are really uncomfortable you're going to end up aching like hell at the end of the day and you'll probably feel quite miserable.

I have a Permobil Corpus 500 which has tilt and recline. I wouldn't recommend using the recline function too much because that can cause shearing on your backside. I tend to set the backrest and leave it as it is and then use the seat tilt function as a pressure relief system.

I have 2 Permobil C500's each with tilt/recline/elevating leg rests and seat elevator. I keep my tilt angle to the most minimum angle (pretty flat) to help spread out the weight distribution. I try to use my recline function to sit up at a comfortable angle, but I sit up pretty straight. I'm not saying that my backest angle is 90 degrees, but I sit up and vary my angles. I will try to measure it next time I'm in my shop. I utilize all of my seating functions to do weight shifts. I lay nearly flat for 10 minutes every 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    I wouldn't recommend using the recline function too much because that can cause shearing on your backside.
    Depending on the model, the backrest should float with you to avoid shearing when reclining.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete