Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advise on prep for colonoscopy with ostomy?

Any advise on prep for colonoscopy with ostomy?

I had my colostomy since 2012 and had always put it off. Now this new doctor is pressuring me to get it done. I'm 53yrs old .

Cut the bottom off your regular bag. Find a suitable plastic bag that can be taped to the colostomy bag; take off the fleecy material covering the inner side of the c bag.
    Put the large bag over the c bag and do a very good job taping the two so it (hopefully) doesn't leak. I used the brown plastic disposal bags that come with my c bags. These are fairly big-I use them to cover my bandaged foot when showering and it reaches to mid-calf.
    Sorry-think a little bigger!
    This rig dealt with ~75% of the load! It was like a fecal volcano that hadn't fully subsided when I felt it time to swap bags and hadn't prepared a second one. Certainly coulda been worse. I think finding some spray-glue (3M contact) to better mate the bags might be smart.
    I recommend taking the day off and hanging out with no pants.
    It really isn't bad at all.
    Maybe you'll improve on the plan and next time I can go to the Ball!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Thank you for the reply PFC49. Sounds practical.

I agree with all pfcs says.

Some other thoughts. On my second colonoscopy, I went to a liquid diet about 2-3 days prior. It made for a much easier clean out than the one other colonoscopy I had.

In regard to the bag, I called ConvaTec and asked about irrigation sleeve. I was preparing to purchase out of pocket from vendor, Convatec sent wafer and sleeve as generous free sample. It was the tupper ware clip to wafer on type deal. It all worked well. I wore the wafer to the colo-rectal surgeon and they just popped a bag on where sleeve had been didn't need to take wafer off. (I had brought new wafer and bag but they kept it all simple.)

I did as pfcs suggested and hung out in a bath towel at home the day prior.

Good luck to you , should go smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I agree with all pfcs says.

Some other thoughts. On my second colonoscopy, I went to a liquid diet about 2-3 days prior. It made for a much easier clean out than the one other colonoscopy I had.

In regard to the bag, I called ConvaTec and asked about irrigation sleeve. I was preparing to purchase out of pocket from vendor, Convatec sent wafer and sleeve as generous free sample. It was the tupper ware clip to wafer on type deal. It all worked well. I wore the wafer to the colo-rectal surgeon and they just popped a bag on where sleeve had been didn't need to take wafer off. (I had brought new wafer and bag but they kept it all simple.)

I did as pfcs suggested and hung out in a bath towel at home the day prior.

Good luck to you , should go smooth.

Thank you for the reply ChesBay. I'm going to look into that.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Any thoughts on doing a complete clean out every once and awhile just to get everything out?

You didn't really hijack the thread. I have mixed feelings about doing clean outs. You are not just cleaning out the toxins, but also the good bacteria and electrolytes. As long as you are careful to replace these, you should not get into trouble. But, you need to stay hydrated and make sure that you replace the good that you cleaned out. It is just my opinion, but I have thought about this quite a bit.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You didn't really hijack the thread. I have mixed feelings about doing clean outs. You are not just cleaning out the toxins, but also the good bacteria and electrolytes. As long as you are careful to replace these, you should not get into trouble. But, you need to stay hydrated and make sure that you replace the good that you cleaned out. It is just my opinion, but I have thought about this quite a bit.

ckf
    That makes a lot of since. I didn't think about that. Something to think about.

Thanks - I have Crohn's disease so it is similar in issues if I have a flare. Just give it some thought and go about it in a thoughtful manner.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

When doing a "Clean out" before a colonoscopy, I used a larger bag (irrigation sleeve I think) that empties at the bottom. It's mostly very loose stool and water anyway. It's a much easier prep with a colostomy than having to sit on the pot for hours and hours doing dig. stem.