Thread: AMTRAK travel

AMTRAK travel

Has anyone had any experience traveling on AMTRAK in an electric wheelchair. I live in central California, was curious if your allowed to stay in your chair or must transfer into a seat. Also how wide are the aisle or any other information you may feel would be helpful. Thanks

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Thanks for the reply and that's a good link. Still I would like some feedback from people with experience travelling on AMTRAK. I've found many times that what the rules/policy may say is not always mirrored in real life. Or the people in charge have no idea how to deal with people in wheelchairs.

See my post here:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-Report-Amtrak

The photos were lost in the forum software upgrade, sadly.

When you purchase tickets, you choose whether you want to stay in your chair or transfer to a seat. The aisles are not wide enough to move through and you cannot move from car to car like an AB can.

Let me know if you have more questions

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Has anyone had any experience traveling on AMTRAK in an electric wheelchair. I live in central California, was curious if your allowed to stay in your chair or must transfer into a seat. Also how wide are the aisle or any other information you may feel would be helpful. Thanks
    We have not traveled in west coast but have traveled east coast and 100% love it.

In a power wheelchair big and open space to stay in your chair or transfer out if you like, bathrooms are nice and open, they have a ramp and or raised platform to board.

Our train had 110 outlets for smart phone and or chair charging at the seats.

Longer trips had dinner car but we brought our own food lot of eat and carry type restaurants in the train station make meals to go. DC to NYC four hour ride.

Take a short test trip you will enjoy it!

I have traveled with Amtrak both in my chair and out. Short distance in my chair (4 hours) no problem at all and there is enough space between you and the other passengers, not cramped at all. I also traveled long distance ( 18 hours) but for this trip i had a sleeper car and they stowed my chair, no problems when they returned it to me, ( can't say the same for the airlines). I traveled with Amtrak for a while now and can thankfully say I have not encountered any problems
    C-7 incomplete Since 2004

Are you saying that the bathrooms are actually wheelchair accessible?

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Are you saying that the bathrooms are actually wheelchair accessible?
    Yes and big enough to move around a bit in a power wheelchair!