Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greasing front casters?

Greasing front casters?

I tried searching but couldn't find anything... Sorry...

My husband pushed my TiLite ZRA, a couple years old, through some massive sand. Now my front casters are covered in sand and looking dry. How should I clean them and grease them up? Is WD 40 not a good thing to use?

They are sealed bearings that can't be readily greased. Hopefully, the sand didn't get beyond the seals. If the caster are spinning freely, without any real drag, or noise, I wouldn't worry about them.

If your concerns persist, go to a shop that sells rollerblades and parts. The bearings are the same and very inexpensive.

Is there a good way to clean off the sand that is sticking? I pulled out all the hair and compared to normal there wasn't very much, but there are still clumps of sand on each side of the wheel between the forks...

I just use a spray cleaner like Spray Nine and hose of with a garden hose. Wet with the cleaner, using a brush to loosen the crud and hit it with a blast from the hose.

might want to take the casters all the way off and wipe off all the sand. Water is much more likely to get into a sealed bearing than sand (though I wouldn't be too worried about either)

Is this salt water beach sand? If so, try not to get it wet or salt could get to the bearings and eventually corrode them.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Chicago IL
    Just take the casters off to clean them well, and with bearings for those at .50 a pop, change them for good luck. Done

Greater metropolitan Detroit area
    I've always used compressed air to blow dirt and grime off of the area.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Once again, wet with a cleaning solution, blast with garden hose. Done. If you feel resistance, or hear crunching, follow Andy's advice.