Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to carry smartphone on your chair

I keep mine in my bag under my seat and use a smartwatch for any quick or remote needs. Came in handy when my chair rolled away from me while transferring into my van as I used the watch to place a call even though my chair was twenty feet away.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Kulea, I've seen something similar for handle bar mounting on bicycles. Is this easily released from the clip with one hand?

Quote Originally Posted by oncetherwasagirl View Post
    Kulea, I've seen something similar for handle bar mounting on bicycles. Is this easily released from the clip with one hand?
    Absolutely. The spring is just enough to keep the phone clamped, but not so much that it is difficult to push phone in with one hand, or to release it. If you have a good grasp of the phone then it is mindless with one hand. Even with my quad hands, I can do it with one hand if it is in the right location.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    This thread isn't about should a person have a smartphone or not, but on that topic, if all you need is something for emergencies, there are plenty of dirt cheap dumbphones that do that just as well as an iPhone.

Back to original poster, since you're using a Galaxy III, your choices may be much more limited than what's available for iPhone. I use a OnePlus, so even less common and hence the reason why I modified my own. Plus I've never seen anything that does exactly what mine does anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-Lea.../dp/B00A71KZOS
    Sorry dude, I didn't realise you were in charge

I'm know the original poster is in the US, however, you can get special brackets that will attach on wheelchairs that can hold all kinds of smartphones and tablets. Over here in the UK we have various charities that will make adaptions if you need something specially made and you are disabled. If one of these smart phone holders doesn't quite work for you, you could always have it modified.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...clamp&_sacat=0

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Personally, smart phones are the most antisocial technology you can get. However, I do have one for emergencies when I'm driving. I have got an iPhone six. If you go on eBay then you can find plenty of cases that hang around neck

I use my smart phone primarily to keep in touch with other people. That's the opposite of anti-social.

I also use an Otter Box Defender case clipped onto the front of my cushion between my legs. Easy peasy.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    These work pretty well and are ridiculously cheap. I bought several.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Ca...D/172619261777
    This particular one seems to be a tight fit, especially if you use case. But, there are tons of nearly identical ones, with wider openings. You just have to look for the maximum opening. Just do a search. Like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Steering...-/252792405634
    C-6/7 incomplete

Just a word about keeping your cell phone attached to your person (pocket, lanyard, etc.) vs. your wheelchair...I have had several clients who fell out of their wheelchair, or whose chair rolled away from their car when transferring into the car, and the wheelchair rolled away from them. Several of the latter also had their keys on the wheelchair. Wished they had had their cell phone on their body so they could call for help. One guy fell out of his wheelchair in his yard, could not get to the chair, drug himself by his arms to the front door, which he also could not open (keys on wheelchair) and ended up sleeping on the stoop all night until the paper boy found him in the morning. Major skin problems. So you may want to reconsider the issue of attaching or storing your phone on your chair vs. your body!

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Just a word about keeping your cell phone attached to your person (pocket, lanyard, etc.) vs. your wheelchair...I have had several clients who fell out of their wheelchair, or whose chair rolled away from their car when transferring into the car, and the wheelchair rolled away from them. Several of the latter also had their keys on the wheelchair. Wished they had had their cell phone on their body so they could call for help. One guy fell out of his wheelchair in his yard, could not get to the chair, drug himself by his arms to the front door, which he also could not open (keys on wheelchair) and ended up sleeping on the stoop all night until the paper boy found him in the morning. Major skin problems. So you may want to reconsider the issue of attaching or storing your phone on your chair vs. your body!

(KLD)
    That's what "Hey, Siri" or "OK Google" are for.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I use my smart phone primarily to keep in touch with other people. That's the opposite of anti-social.

I also use an Otter Box Defender case clipped onto the front of my cushion between my legs. Easy peasy.
    When I was referring to people being antisocial with smartphones I was talking about people who insist on having them sitting on the table next to them in restaurants and constantly keep picking them up to see if they've got messages. What do they do before smartphones, keep running home every five minutes to see if there is any post on the mat?

Don't get me wrong, smartphones are a great invention and they make life for disabled people very easy. However, I just feel like the world has gone completely mad and nobody seems to talk to each other any more because they are so obsessed with their phones. All I can say shoot me if I ever get like that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    When I was referring to people being antisocial with smartphones I was talking about people who insist on having them sitting on the table next to them in restaurants and constantly keep picking them up to see if they've got messages. What do they do before smartphones, keep running home every five minutes to see if there is any post on the mat?
    The best are the herds of people that cant walk down the street without staring at their phones. Then the millennial-esque types that are unable to have any human interaction without smartphone distractions mid-stream. You wonder if they should have just stayed home to stare at their phones sometimes, lol.

I have been rocking the same flip phone for something like 9 years now. Compact, fits under your leg, no bigger than your key ring. Added benefits are the ability to be treated similarly to a rock with no damage, and you don't have to buy a new phone when it is time to replace the battery. Service cost is dirt cheap. I did succumb to fashion trends by the application of a gaudy 5, then 6 (free upgrade), to keep face with certain demographics that value what type of phone one possesses as a status symbol. Until they introduce a rotary dial smartphone, I'm keeping it.
    Attached Images Attached Images