Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any way to toughen up skin?

Any way to toughen up skin?

I had a flap surgery on my right ischial area in February 2013. After a few months I was back in my chair for limited periods of time until I got a skin tear. That's when the current bedrest began. I have been doing bedrest now for 3 years. As soon as I get one place healed, I end up getting another. Due to multiple sores over the years and two flap surgeries, my skin on my bottom is paper thin and breaks down if it gets a dirty look. I am unable to lay on my sides for more than 5-10 minutes because the arthritis in my hips causes me to sweat profusely if I do. Even if I were able to the get completely off my butt to heal the small tears, I'd still have paper thin skin that breaks down at the slightest scuff.

I've been doing everything I can to stay sane and upbeat but I'm beginning to lose hope. I am reasonably content with my disability and rarely in a bad mood but if I lose hope that I'll ever get back in my chair, I'm not sure that will continue to be so. This is mainly a vent session, for as far as I am aware, what I need is Star Trek technology. I hope that I'm wrong, which is why I'm posting.

Anyhow, real answers would be appreciated...

Protein, try collagen creams?.
    CWO

Biotin,Vitamin C and E and zinc.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I had a flap surgery on my right ischial area in February 2013. After a few months I was back in my chair for limited periods of time until I got a skin tear. That's when the current bedrest began. I have been doing bedrest now for 3 years. As soon as I get one place healed, I end up getting another. Due to multiple sores over the years and two flap surgeries, my skin on my bottom is paper thin and breaks down if it gets a dirty look. I am unable to lay on my sides for more than 5-10 minutes because the arthritis in my hips causes me to sweat profusely if I do. Even if I were able to the get completely off my butt to heal the small tears, I'd still have paper thin skin that breaks down at the slightest scuff.

I've been doing everything I can to stay sane and upbeat but I'm beginning to lose hope. I am reasonably content with my disability and rarely in a bad mood but if I lose hope that I'll ever get back in my chair, I'm not sure that will continue to be so. This is mainly a vent session, for as far as I am aware, what I need is Star Trek technology. I hope that I'm wrong, which is why I'm posting.

Anyhow, real answers would be appreciated...
    I believe this happens to all of us sooner or later Scott. I admire your courage and upbeat attitude but I know constant pressure sores, infections and all the various other problems we get along with our SCI can sometimes be too much.

Are you thin and boney? Atrophy is a bitch. I know I am losing more and more muscle to atrophy which puts me at higher risk. Bones are more prominent and closer to the skin each year, cushions can only do so much. I have said this before and I'll say it again, we all need a good estim program to keep from losing muscle (our padding) from our butts, hips and thighs. Once it's gone it is very hard if not impossible to reverse. A flap surgery does just that, when the muscle is gone and the bones are close to the skin they flap some other near by muscle over to cover the area but how many times can they do that. I feel for you my brother and I am right behind you (no pun intended).

What ever happened to this product? Is it available to consumers?

https://www.cadth.ca/smart-e-pants
    ^^(A)^^

I ordered the vitamin supplements and I'm going to add some foods to my diet that aid in collagen production but collagen cream is pretty expensive. Any chance that there is a prescription product that insurance might cover?

Quote Originally Posted by darty View Post
    I believe this happens to all of us sooner or later Scott. I admire your courage and upbeat attitude but I know constant pressure sores, infections and all the various other problems we get along with our SCI can sometimes be too much.

Are you thin and boney? Atrophy is a bitch. I know I am losing more and more muscle to atrophy which puts me at higher risk. Bones are more prominent and closer to the skin each year, cushions can only do so much. I have said this before and I'll say it again, we all need a good estim program to keep from losing muscle (our padding) from our butts, hips and thighs. Once it's gone it is very hard if not impossible to reverse. A flap surgery does just that, when the muscle is gone and the bones are close to the skin they flap some other near by muscle over to cover the area but how many times can they do that. I feel for you my brother and I am right behind you (no pun intended).

What ever happened to this product? Is it available to consumers?

https://www.cadth.ca/smart-e-pants
    Yeah I was 6'6" and 185 lbs. at the time of my injury and while I've put on a few pounds over the years, it hasn't gone to my buttocks. I never had much of a butt and after atrophy and two flap surgeries on my right side, I have very little padding left back there.

I wish they could do some sort of butt implant and also a skin graft from an elephant so that I could get back in my chair. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Yeah I was 6'6" and 185 lbs. at the time of my injury and while I've put on a few pounds over the years, it hasn't gone to my buttocks. I never had much of a butt and after atrophy and two flap surgeries on my right side, I have very little padding left back there.

I wish they could do some sort of butt implant and also a skin graft from an elephant so that I could get back in my chair. lol
    Again like with most things SCI related they do very little in the way of preventing all the complications we suffer and offer some piss poor options to treat our symptoms. I probably shouldn't paint everyone with such a broad brush it's a much more complicated problem. If a solution is out there, insurance won't pay for it even if you could find a forward thinking Doctor to prescribe it. I know it's not much help to old injuries like us they will just continue to treat our symptoms but maybe things will get better for a new injury.

Hang in there my Brother and P.M. me any time.
    ^^(A)^^

Scott, so sorry to hear what you are having to go through I can't begin to imagine some of the frustration that you've dealt with. As far as something to solve your problem with no padding on your butt is there any way artificial padding might help? I've never had to deal with an open sore on my butt praise the lord but when I have had red spots start to show up I would wear depends underwear (extra padding) until they disappeared. Not sure if that's something you can try it was just a thought in the meantime I hope you find something that helps asap!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    Scott, so sorry to hear what you are having to go through I can't begin to imagine some of the frustration that you've dealt with. As far as something to solve your problem with no padding on your butt is there any way artificial padding might help? I've never had to deal with an open sore on my butt praise the lord but when I have had red spots start to show up I would wear depends underwear (extra padding) until they disappeared. Not sure if that's something you can try it was just a thought in the meantime I hope you find something that helps asap!
    The padding problem is between muscle and bone. I developed the actual pressure sores (not the tears) when a bone spur on the ischium pushed into the muscle. After the flap surgery, I had less natural padding over the bone which breaks down easy and because of all my past breakdowns, my skin is thin and is easily torn when I get moved around in bed. I'm on a True Low Air Loss mattress, so pressure isn't my problem while in bed. If there was an implant that could could cover the hip bone, I'd probably be okay.

I do think it's possible for plastic surgeons to be more creative in solving these problems .. why they don't I have no clue.

For me it's my feet .. but I have some butt scrapes right now, a hole in the middle of a my under left thigh from the cushion bunching and a slice on my side that's been open for two months.

Everything is infected. Bladder toast, rectocele.

I've decided not to seek treatment any longer.

Important to note that my best friend Sue is quadriplegic and never a pressure sore in 25+yrs. Spasms.

Me? Flaccid paralysis. Sacked with wounds in 33yrs (on the 29th) ... I think there was 2yrs between 15-17 when I had no wounds at all.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 07-26-2017 at 01:06 AM.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12