Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any way to toughen up skin?

According to my aesthetician- (you know-getting old and wrinkled& seeking her input)- she says massage helps build collagen- that is why I should get massaging facials ( daily?) weekly from a professional and then massage myself- in this case- 2-3 times a day. Of course, I am looking at face but -Would this help in other areas? Worth a try!
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    According to my aesthetician- (you know-getting old and wrinkled& seeking her input)- she says massage helps build collagen- that is why I should get massaging facials ( daily?) weekly from a professional and then massage myself- in this case- 2-3 times a day. Of course, I am looking at face but -Would this help in other areas? Worth a try!
    CWO
    So butt massages? I can see that craigslist advert now...

I thought that I'd share something that I've been doing to help heal my skin tear(s). I had read about and seen videos promoting light therapy (both red & blue) and decided to try it myself. I first tried using a Seasonal Affective Disorder light, but lost the power cord. Then I remembered that I got my dad a grow light for Christmas a couple years ago for his garden. Anyhow, I borrowed it back and have been using it for "light sessions" each day. While I can't prove that it alone is doing the job, we've been seeing improvements at quicker rate than without using the light. If you're interested in this type of therapy, case studies can be found online and the following link is to the light that I'm currently using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sickening I'm watching a t.v. show with my daughter where people are winning 160,000$ for guessing a F'ing song right , if ya had that $ ya could get a surgery.....sorry for rant but if any of us had the $ that's thrown around this world we would all be walking and all the BULLSHIT like sxi network would actually be true and we'd walk....

Sorry again, hopefully it'll get better for you, can't imagine being stuck in bed

Scott, I am so sorry to hear of your continuing battle with pressure wounds, and as a complete paraplegic I empathise with you. For the past couple of years I have also been dealing with an ischium wound that required months of vac pumps and dressings. I've been fortunate to have avoided flap surgery so far, and am doing all I can to continue on the way I am, as like you, I fear surgery will weaken the skin and cause me more complications.

I am delighted the light therapy is working for you, and will follow your progress with it. I had never heard of it before.
    My only suggestions are a diet high in protein, such as cheese, eggs etc, and a daily Vitamin C dose.

Sending you hugs and wishing you well on your light therapy.

As I have often said .... If I had a bottom like Kim Kardashian I wouldn't have any of the pressure wound problems I currently have. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by janne View Post
    Scott, I am so sorry to hear of your continuing battle with pressure wounds, and as a complete paraplegic I empathise with you. For the past couple of years I have also been dealing with an ischium wound that required months of vac pumps and dressings. I've been fortunate to have avoided flap surgery so far, and am doing all I can to continue on the way I am, as like you, I fear surgery will weaken the skin and cause me more complications.

I am delighted the light therapy is working for you, and will follow your progress with it. I had never heard of it before.
    My only suggestions are a diet high in protein, such as cheese, eggs etc, and a daily Vitamin C dose.

Sending you hugs and wishing you well on your light therapy.

As I have often said .... If I had a bottom like Kim Kardashian I wouldn't have any of the pressure wound problems I currently have. LOL
    Thanks Janne. Without doing a control study, I can't prove how well the light is helping but I'm certain it is helping some and its definitely not hurting. My diet mainly consists of protein. I'm a carnivore at heart, but I try to eat vegetables as well. lol

I'm hoping that the supplements that the SCI Nurse suggested (Vitamin E, Zinc and Biotin) will aid in my healing and overall skin health, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

I too wish I had the Kardashian ass. Although it would cause me to sit higher in my chair and I already sit at 5'2".

Scott, that just gave me a good laugh. I never thought of the added complications that could come with having a Kardashian bottom. With all those fillers and implants, we could end up with more problems than ever. LOL
    What's that old saying ............. Be careful what you wish for.

Many years ago, when I was a patient in the Spinal Unit, it was quite common for some of the patients, while lying in bed on their stomach, to be wheeled outside into the sunshine, and get some sun on their bottoms. The sun is a great natural healer, and would do wonders for the skin.
    Perhaps this is similar to what your light therapy does.

I hope the vitamin supplements will help you, and I'm also about to start taking Vitamin C tablets too. Anything to help my skin stay stronger and prevent further pressure wounds.
    It really is an ongoing battle to stay healthy, and getting older doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by janne View Post
    Scott, that just gave me a good laugh. I never thought of the added complications that could come with having a Kardashian bottom. With all those fillers and implants, we could end up with more problems than ever. LOL
    What's that old saying ............. Be careful what you wish for.

Many years ago, when I was a patient in the Spinal Unit, it was quite common for some of the patients, while lying in bed on their stomach, to be wheeled outside into the sunshine, and get some sun on their bottoms. The sun is a great natural healer, and would do wonders for the skin.
    Perhaps this is similar to what your light therapy does.

I hope the vitamin supplements will help you, and I'm also about to start taking Vitamin C tablets too. Anything to help my skin stay stronger and prevent further pressure wounds.
    It really is an ongoing battle to stay healthy, and getting older doesn't help.
    How about wishing we had ample posteriors made from strong healthy muscle and an adequate layer of fat. lol

Perhaps I should go to a nude beach and hang out in the prone position.

Yes please Scott, could you order me one of those bottoms, with extra muscle and fat.

If it weren't for bladder, bowel and bottom problems, I think I could cope with life in a wheelchair, but it's all the added stuff that just makes life so much harder.

The nude beach sounds like fun too. LOL

Scott, I hope your skin problems are improving. You are doing better than I would with 3 years of bedrest. I do have a home remedy I use for pressure sores and as maintenance. Helps me a lot. Everyone is different though. It has probiotics, calciums and other items in it. Just PM if interested, i do not check care cure regularly. I would gladly send some to you. Best of luck either way.