Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Blood Pressure

Low Blood Pressure

Hi, I think I read a normal BP for a quad is about 90/60. Is that about right? When sitting up in my chair and after eating breakfast, I've had BPs of 80/40 and normally get about 80/50. Is that too low? I don't usually feel dizzy or anything. Lying in bed though, it's usually 120/70 or so. Does all that seem ok as long as I feel fine?

Thanks for any help!
    Joe

You are a typical quad. My sitting BP drops to about 60/40 before I notice it after nearly 63 years of experience with my sitting bp on the low side. It is also common for it to drop after meals.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yankman30 View Post
    Hi, I think I read a normal BP for a quad is about 90/60. Is that about right? When sitting up in my chair and after eating breakfast, I've had BPs of 80/40 and normally get about 80/50. Is that too low? I don't usually feel dizzy or anything. Lying in bed though, it's usually 120/70 or so. Does all that seem ok as long as I feel fine?

Thanks for any help!
    Joe
    If you aren't symptomatic with these lower blood pressures, there probably isn't anything to worry about. When your blood pressure goes down, after changing position from lying down to sitting up or anytime the blood pressure drops when your legs are lower than your heart, a sitting position, it is called orthostatic hypotension. Some people feel dizziness, disorientation, breathlessness, and may even faint as a result of orthostatic hypotension. When your blood pressure drops after eating, it is called postprandial hypotension. Similar symptoms occur with postprandial hypotension. The perfect storm is having orthostatic and postprandial hypotension at the same time.

Steps you can take to relieve symptoms include wearing compression stockings and an abdominal binder and drinking a large glass of water before getting up. When these things don't work, you may need to take medication. Medications include Midodrine, Northera, and Fludricortisone.

i eat it drops like a rock sometimes so bad i see black spots thats why i never eat out does not happen everytime but enough and i have a pacemaker in because my bp was so low but it naturally low befor sci

i take sudfed if really bad and it helps it was recommend by my gp life is so much fun

My gets low on the rare occasion when I try to use a standing frame. I start to see spots. Does this happen to anyone else and what do you do about it?

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Yup; mine will drop real low, especially in the morning after a big breakfast. I have to wait a bit before driving to work.

'For a bit of fun, don't say anything to the nurse in the doctor's office when she checks your BP and watch them run for the doc.

r
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    i eat it drops like a rock sometimes so bad i see black spots thats why i never eat out does not happen everytime but enough and i have a pacemaker in because my bp was so low but it naturally low befor sci

i take sudfed if really bad and it helps it was recommend by my gp life is so much fun
    I had a pacemaker implanted last week. It is my understanding that pacemakers address heart rate (pulse), not blood pressure. In my case, I experienced periods when my heart rate was slower (30 beats per minute or stopping for up to 6 seconds) than normal (Bradycardia) and the pacemaker will keep that rate from falling lower than 55 beats per minute.

You may need to check in with your cardiologist to clarify why you have a pacemaker.
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-24-2017 at 09:55 PM.

I have been a quadriplegic for 26 years and I have always had postprandial hypotension. In the last two years it has gotten worse. I'm on 5 mg of midodrine three times a day. I'm lucky if this works on most days. Lying down my blood pressure is only 72/48. I am symptomatic. I experience dizziness, shortness of breath, and see spots.
    I am healthy and take good care of myself. I am a vegetarian, drink plenty of water, and live an active life. Lately, I have been tremendously down due to feeling horrible most days. I'm not sure if anyone has any answers but I'm willing to try anything at this point. Well, except illegal suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowshai View Post
    I have been a quadriplegic for 26 years and I have always had postprandial hypotension. In the last two years it has gotten worse. I'm on 5 mg of midodrine three times a day. I'm lucky if this works on most days. Lying down my blood pressure is only 72/48. I am symptomatic. I experience dizziness, shortness of breath, and see spots.
    I am healthy and take good care of myself. I am a vegetarian, drink plenty of water, and live an active life. Lately, I have been tremendously down due to feeling horrible most days. I'm not sure if anyone has any answers but I'm willing to try anything at this point. Well, except illegal suggestions.
    I've found that you need to play with the Midodrine dosage around the times you take meals. I eat two meals a day, a late breakfast and a dinner. I am finding that if I take 10 mg of Midodrine about 30 to 45 minutes before a meal, I can ameliorate my postprandial symptoms most of the time.

Compression hose (40/50 mmHG) and abdominal binder can help also. I prefer people try that before Midodrine or my need all. And the blood pools in the lower extremities and thrombosis is common so this compression hose help prevent DVT somewhat and dependent edema(swelling).
    CWO