Thread: DIY Platform lift

DIY Platform lift

Anyone ever make one on here? I know there are companies that sell them like Ram and Trus-T-lift (same) etc. I have an old Ram lift that is not working at the moment but is way to big and ugly for what I want.

The idea is to make something that will get me from about 20 inches to the ground. Yes yes make a ramp, Problem is the ramp will need to be over 20 feet and the yard slopes away drastically so the ramp would be ridiculously long, ugly and expensive.

I have been trying to find information on lifts like a one or two post lift but good old google keeps sending me towards companies that sell lifts.

I like the idea of a scissor platform lift or maybe a lift like the old service stations had with a hydraulic cylinder. It just need to work outside.

Anyways if all else fails I might just cut the old lift up and build a much shorter version. I was just checking to see if we had some people here that think outside the box or have some skills in making stuff.

I'm not afraid to weld cut grind to make something cool.

How far to you need to lift? 20" (which would be what you would need a 20 ft. ramp for)??? Outdoors, unprotected, I would assume, vs. indoors, so a porch type lift?

Keep in mind that there may be building code issues for a DIY system, and you most likely would have to get a permit for installing any lift under these circumstances.

We have discussed this here before. Here is one of those threads:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-vertical-lift

These companies sells a commercial type lift for use in a residential setting:

https://galaxylifts.com

https://www.legacylifts.com/

Also, you can find these used. This would generally mean that you would have to remove it from the previous users home and haul it to install at your location too. Check out both eBay and Disabled Dealer.

(KLD)

I would just shop craigslist, or eBay, for a used one. Set it in place, plug it in and done. Search terms: porch lift, vertical lift, platform lift, etc. I've seen instances of them being given away because to most people who can walk they're seen as an eyesore.

This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSnNyi3w7uE

I even seen something from Australia that had a set of stairs that turned into a lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqRV2xowaE&t=5s

It kills me that the only things I can find in the US is crap and looks like $hit
    I bought a Ram platform lift to get me in the basement. It was not crazy expensive but its loud and slow. It takes me over 1:20 minutes. This makes me hate riding the lift.
    I find a lift from Aritco from Europe that is quiet and runs 30cm a second as compared to Ram that runs 8Feet a minute

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    I even seen something from Australia that had a set of stairs that turned into a lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqRV2xowaE&t=5s
    My son's primary school installed one of those in the school stage when it was being re-built (actually the whole school was being re-built as it all burnt down, but that's a different story!). It worked exactly as shown in that video and, because it was built into the stage (instead of being stuck out the front), nobody knew it was a lift, so it stoppped unauthorised people from trying to use it as a lift. Great idea.

Not cheap though! I don't recall the number I was told, but it shocked me, and I'm used to stupidly high disability equipment costs!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    My son's primary school installed one of those in the school stage when it was being re-built (actually the whole school was being re-built as it all burnt down, but that's a different story!). It worked exactly as shown in that video and, because it was built into the stage (instead of being stuck out the front), nobody knew it was a lift, so it stoppped unauthorised people from trying to use it as a lift. Great idea.

Not cheap though! I don't recall the number I was told, but it shocked me, and I'm used to stupidly high disability equipment costs!
    I'm sure its not cheap but when you build a nice home....

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    I'm sure its not cheap but when you build a nice home....
    Yeah, you're right. If this product existed 6 years ago (or if it did, if we'd known about it), we probably would have seriously looked at getting one (if not two), as it would have saved us the expense of moving house. But at that time, having 3 sets of 3 steps within the house just wasn't going to work any more for us....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

So I pulled my lift down and the tower is in the garage. I figured out what went wrong and why it was stuck. Basically the safety switch was broken and the lower drive nut jammed into the bottom of the tower seizing the drive screw.

The Ram lift is very simple in design made mostly with 1 inch square tube and sheet steel. When they show the lift half under water in their ads its because nothing but steel for 85% of the lift. The motor and the reduction gear at the top and the controls on the platform is the only thing that could get hurt.
    Anyways....

I ordered new drive nuts 60.00 each a new lower guide plate 24.00 and a safety rod for the switch 8.00. (after looking at the guide plate and the safety rod, both a waste of money. The guide plate 2 dollars and the safety rod .50 cents I should have just made them myself)
    I wanted to buy a shorter drive screw and cut my tower down to size but RAM would not sell the drive screw to me. I might check out Nook industries which sells screw lifts and see if I can get a modified screw or I might just cut the one I have since the weight of the lift is carried (tension) on the screw not compression. Me cutting the tower in half and rewelding a couple cross members and angle Iron supports is easy and probably better welds than what came with the unit. I will decide that later.

My biggest focus is making this lift not so ugly when sitting outside next to the house. I will be doing some modifications next few weeks or so. Its just trying to find the right lipstick for this pig.

I'm hoping others find this information useful and if anyone has questions I would be glad to answer what I have found out. I had a hard time trying to find information on these lifts as noted on my other post
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...20-Trus-T-Lift

I was hoping I would find others like that guy from Europe that modifies his motorized wheelchair. People that think outside the box. I think we need to start a thread or subject line that is all about people that make stuff to save money and make our lives a little less pain in the a$$