Thread: Kidney Surgery

Kidney Surgery

A recent CT scan discovered a mass suspected to be renal cell carcinoma. The good news is that the oncologist feels he can remove the mass and leave a decent functioning kidney. The bad news he will not be able to use a scope and must do open surgery. My question is has anyone else had this surgery and would you be willing to share your post-op experience? Thanks!

I had to get one of my kidneys out. I chose not to use the scope (can't think of the actual procedure). I do have quite a long scar, but it's very thin and healed quickly. I was in the hospital about 3 days total. I was uncomfortable and in pain, but nothing unbearable by any means. I dd take pain medicine for about 2 weeks. I hope this helped a bit. Good luck and feel better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    A recent CT scan discovered a mass suspected to be renal cell carcinoma. The good news is that the oncologist feels he can remove the mass and leave a decent functioning kidney. The bad news he will not be able to use a scope and must do open surgery. My question is has anyone else had this surgery and would you be willing to share your post-op experience? Thanks!
    Has your urologist suggested a consultation with an oncologist about alternative treatments like destroying the tumor with radiowaves or by freezing it, which may allow you to avoid surgery? If the tumor is small enough and contained within the kidney, these may be alternatives.

mnire,
    I appreciate you sharing your experience it is very helpful.

gjnl,
    I met with a oncologist that specializes in kidney cancer and kidney sparing techniques. They CT scan shows the tumor confined to the kidney, but it is almost 5 cm in size. I know he recommended open surgery because of concerns he had about visualizing the tumor, but he never mentioned ablation. I have a follow up appointment the first of September and will ask him why it was not presented as an option. I appreciate your help in this matter!

You get the kidney tumor OUT! That is the treatment. Listen to your doctor! You could have a biopsy if in doubt but renal cell cancer ( RCC) it has a distinct appearance on scans. If renal cell cancer (RCC) it is malignant but thought to be slow growing.
    You must have surveillance RUS/CT so it can be caught early if returns.
    And the UROLOGIST does the Surgery and the oncologist does not do surgery. There are urologists who specialize in urological cancers.
    BTW- my mother died from kidney cancer because she was female (they blamed everything on nerves, menopause and being overweight) and her PCP was an idiot! It was all in her lungs by time they found it- which we estimate to be 15 years minimally since symptoms first began.
    So it is good that you caught it small and early.
    CWO

SCI-Nurse,
    I agree with you completely! I simply wanted to explore all options and felt I would be remiss if I didn't at least have the discussion about ablation. In addition, I apologize that I was not clear that my doctor is a board-certified urologist who subspecializes in urologic tumors and malignancies. He leads the surgical arm of UC San Diego Health’s multidisciplinary program for management of kidney cancer. I have already spoken with his assistant and it was explained that because of the size and location of the tumor ablation was not an option. Finally, I am sorry to hear about your Mother. I agree that I am lucky they caught the tumor early. At least I hope they did, there was some concern it had spread to my ureter, bladder and lungs. A biopsy of my bladder/ureter has shown no signs of cancer, but I still have a CT scan of my lungs to clear them. In the interim, I am doing what I can to physically prepare for the surgery and recovery that is expected to begin sometime in late September.