Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liberal Arts are the future of the technology industry

Blog Entries

Liberal Arts are the future of the technology industry

I've long supported Liberal Arts educations as superior to trade and vocational focused STEM degrees.

This article, and its sources, provide a fantastic window into why many more people are coming to the same conclusion.

https://hbr.org/2017/07/liberal-arts-in-the-data-age
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Pursuing a "STEM" degree is hardly the equivalent of a "vocational education". My undergraduate degree is in Physics, yet to graduate I had to have a certain number of credits in english, humanities, etc. As for us just realizing the need to understand the "human context", that is a huge and established field. Facebook is designed specifically to trigger the same pleasure responses that addictive drugs trigger to entice users to return the the site (so they can view more ads). It is the same with games, other social media sites or anything that is monetized by getting people to interact with it. I worked on a product that used AI to determine how best to present the content in a website to optimize the amount of time a user interacts with a site and it was scary how it could increase traffic.

If you want to understand how people think get a job as a bartender, if you want to get a good job with a decent salary stick with STEM.

Have a friend who is a big accountant in Raleigh NC. He says by far the people who make the most money year in and out are licensed HVAC, Plumbers, Electricians and the like. Thank about it. Its 96 today with 60% humidity in the shade. You got a choice, all your other payed possessions or your AC? Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by #LHB#; 07-22-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Seemed like a paid by the word article, so I lost interest quick. All I gotta say is the world needs ditch diggers and baristas. And how else can otherwise stupid people get a 'degree' in something?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Seemed like a paid by the word article, so I lost interest quick. All I gotta say is the world needs ditch diggers and baristas. And how else can otherwise stupid people get a 'degree' in something?
    It kinda did to me, too. I think it is a shill article for the 3 books used as its sources which, incidentally, are all very good. Well, I've only read 2 of them, so 2 of them are very good and one might be.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Have a friend who is a big accountant in Raleigh NC. He says by far the people who make the most money year in and out are licensed HVAC, Plumbers, Electricians and the like. Thank about it. Its 96 today with 60% humidity in the shade. You got a choice, all your other payed possessions or your AC? Just my 2 cents worth.
    The guy that lives behind me is an HVAC guy. He just bought a $150,000 Mercedes RV, so I reckon he's doing just fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post

Pursuing a "STEM" degree is hardly the equivalent of a "vocational education".

[...]

if you want to get a good job with a decent salary stick with STEM.

So, which is it?!? I see your pursuit of STEM hasn't helped you avoid talking in circles. Hahahahaha. Just kidding.

Seriously speaking, any degree pursued for the sole purpose of getting a job, especially a SPECIFIC job, is vocational education (whether it's a STEM degree, or not, but that is what most STEM programs exist to do). So, if that's your aspiration in life, to be a wage slave, by all means. Like Andy implied, it takes all kinds for the world to go 'round.

(Reminds me of my first wife; she spent 5 years getting an MS degree to be a dental hygienist, only to ducking hate the work after a few years. With a vocational STEM degree she was then left with zero options. She went back for another Masters in early childhood education, got her teaching certificate, only to realize she hates other people's kids. Zero options and lots of degrees for specific jobs she hates.)

I had to take a certain amount of credit hours in hard sciences, too, while pursuing philosophy and linguistics. That doesn't make me a scientist, even though I'm well versed in its history and methods, and successfully applied them at my job (which was in the tech sector despite my lack of a STEM degree)

I'm not 100% anti-STEM educations. It takes all kinds, I really believe that, but I do think we're culturally completely out of balance between the sciences/technology and the humanities, and I very much appreciate that the pendulum is starting to swing back to the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    It kinda did to me, too. I think it is a shill article for the 3 books used as its sources which, incidentally, are all very good. Well, I've only read 2 of them, so 2 of them are very good and one might be.
    You got further than me, I couldn't skim the entire first paragraph before I closed that page. Then again, my cat and I have a competition on who has a shorter attention span, so maybe I'm not the best literary critic, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    You got further than me, I couldn't skim the entire first paragraph before I closed that page. Then again, my cat and I have a competition on who has a shorter attention span, so maybe I'm not the best literary critic, lol
    You got me beat, I compete with Humming birds! lol

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    You got me beat, I compete with Humming birds! lol
    I am a doorknob