Thread: Electric Chair like iBis XP 'Tilt in Space' feature

Electric Chair like iBis XP 'Tilt in Space' feature

Hi Guys! Anyone know of an electric wheelchair with 'Tilt Function' similar to the iBisXP? (the tilt pivot point at the front...) See attached for illustration of what I mean. Thanks in advance!

Just to explain why I'm interested in this type of TIS, I require my overall head height to be lower at times with less tilt...having the tilt pivot point toward the front allows the pelvis to go lower than the chairs pivot point...opposed to a pivot point toward the back...Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  

Please forgive me, but I'm having trouble understanding what the difference is?!

Unfortunately, it's not the pivot point that's the limiting factor. Rather, rear STF heights are generally limited because of constraints posed by the the powerbase. Any complex rehab powerbase must be designed to provide a minimum ground clearance, carry two conventional batteries, and use 12-14" diameter drive wheels. The form factor of conventional batteries is the most limiting factor. The powerchair must remain stable when the tilt system is used and the tilt system itself should provide at least 45 degrees to redistribute pressure off the ischium. I've had the opportunity to see the battery box designed for Permobil's M series/F series chairs (yes it is the same) and there is absolutely no room to spare. In most instances, there is literally no way for the rear of the seat to go lower. The majority of chairs also have some mechanism to shift the user's weight as the seating is used to preserve stability. I know of one exception which I'll discuss in my next post.

The only powerchair I've found that accomplishes what you are looking for is the Redman Chief 107-ZRx. Let me be clear I am providing this information only for the purpose of explaining some of the design constraints engineers need to work within. I question many of the claims found on their website. Using actuators to change body positions is more difficult than it seems. The pivot points of the device are different than those of the user, actuators generate a substantial amount of force, a many people do not sit exactly the same way every time they are in their chair. Everything must be in the right place for things to go well. Bringing the body to a standing position is a complex undertaking and does not always reduce ischial pressure. The hyperextended position they market as "yoga" could have adverse consequences for some users. They are also the only complex rehab manufacturer who sells directly to the end user with no dealer network. Caveat emptor.

That said, Redman does not build their chassis around a conventional battery box. Instead, they stack the batteries at the far rear of the chair and mount the motors vertically to the subframe. This creates a limited amount of space for the back of the seat to drop down during tilt, but the actual range is less than other models.

Thanks SCI_OTR,

Your correct, now that you've explained the battery storage area, I get it is core to what I looking for. The Redman wouldn't suit my needs but it illustrates the point very clearly. Thanks for taking the time to respond!