Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Helping to Prevent Urinary Tract Infections with Microcyn Technology

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    My understanding is that it can be used either way. But, I don't use it. What is the consensus out there?
    ckf
    personally, I leave it in until I void next.....
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    My understanding is that it can be used either way. But, I don't use it. What is the consensus out there?
    ckf
    I'm not quite clear on your question. But, to clarify...the two methods of using Microcyn described in the Open Letter to Dr. Young thread are:

* as a urethral "peri" wash before introducing a catheter into the urethra
    * as a bladder instillation (instill Microcyn into the bladder and retain it in the bladder for a determined, by the individual, period of time)
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-22-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    personally, I leave it in until I void next.....
    Leaving Microcyn in the bladder until your next cath is a very individual thing. Some people, like yourself, can retain Microcyn for long periods of time. However, others, like myself, can only retain Microcyn for a few minutes. To some degree, it has something to do with bladder capacity (I have a supra pubic catheter and after 7 years a very small bladder). Then there is an issue that "JenJen" brought up in the Open Letter to Dr. Young thread.

"JenJen" (Post number 4)
    "I've detailed how this product saved my life. I went from over 100 uti's in three years to one or two in the years I've been using this product. Microcyn is not available to the best of my knowledge but it's veterinary equilvant, Vetericyn is.

Based on my personal testimonials, several people I know now use this product successfully.

Please note that anecdotally, we've discovered that one must be extremely careful in using Vetericyn as a bladder flush. It certainly cleans out the bladder microbes but seems to quickly migrate into the gut and seems to kill the beneficial flora in the intestines. Translation: we kick the bladder infection but end up with diarrhea if we leave it in the bladder too long."

Dr. Young (Post number 5)
    "That is interesting. How does it get into the gut?

Wise."

"JenJen" (Post number 8)
    "I wish I could explain. It was explained to me by 2 friends; one a pharmacist, the other a toxicologist but there was a lot of wine and I really don't remember. I may be mis-stating the medical side with lay terms, so here is my lay explanation.

I hope you'll remember a point in time about 2 years ago when I was struggling with bladder infections to the point of near death. Since my medical team was out of ideas, I decided to try Bob Clark's protocol but it was way too harsh for female genitalia. He told me about Microcyn and a Google search lead me to the Vetericyn.

I used the Vetericyn as a periwash before cathing and at first I would apply some to the same spot on the inside of my mouth each time because I reasoned that if it irritated my mouth, it was irritating my labia.

Back when I was dealing with UTIs and continued sepsis, etc., I was using intravesticular Gentimyacin daily, after deciding that the Vetericyn was not irritating my external tissue (thru my highly unscientific method) I tried it internally instead of the Gent. The impact on my UTIs was immediate and dramatic.

When I hit the 6 month mark UTI-free (before I was averaging 2 UTIs a month) I knew I was on to something and started sharing the idea with my doctors and friends. At one point I complained that I finally had my bladder issues under control and now my always-dependable bowel program had gone crazy. The others using Vetericyn as I was also said the same thing.

When I backed away from putting the Vetericyn in my bladder and leaving it until the next cath, my diarrhea cleared up pretty quickly. A little more cause and effect experimentation seemed to show a link.

There was this long explanation of how the cells were small enough to pass through the bladder wall and permeate the surrounding tissue and the ions that killed the weebeasties in my bladder were killing the flora I needed for digestion. As I said, there was wine involved in the conversation...

I now use Vetericyn as a peri-wash before every cath. When I start to experience symptoms of UTI, I instill 20 CCs for no longer than 10 minutes and the symptoms go away (I LOVE sparkly pee) and I experience none of the nasty side-effects that we anecdotally linked to its use.

I hope this helps in some way Wise. To call this "kitchen science" would be kind at best. All I know is it's working at last and I'm no longer sick enough to worry about dying once or twice a year.

However I got there, I'll take it. "

While I have read about this bowel disturbance a few times, it doesn't seem to be a frequent problem. That said, when you begin to use Microcyn, you should start with a small amount say 20cc, and retain it for about 5 minutes. Start slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Suggestion-if that original thread cannot be reopened, can it be added to the sticky threads which are kept at the beginning of the Care forum?
    It is indeed unfortunate that the original thread, "Open Letter to Dr. Young" was closed, and I'm sure it could be reopened. There was no V-Bulletin or technical reason for its closure. But on the positive side, it has given us a new chance to refresh our understanding of Microcyn Technology and share our experiences with one another.

Here is an article written by Susanne Lewis, also known as, "Leila."

http://microcyn.blogspot.com/2011/01...proach-to.html

Expanded article - A New Approach to the Problem of Antibiotic Resistance

A NEW APPROACH TO THE PROBLEM OF ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE AND HOSPITAL ACQUIRED INFECTIONS

by Susanne Lewis

Hospital-acquired infections, (HAIs), have become far too prevalent across the nation. The statistics are grim. Ten million patients will get an infection in a health care institution over the next five years and half a million of them will die. Many people fear going to the hospital because that is where the most virulent antibiotic-resistant microbes are encountered. A vast study conducted several years ago found that about half of the patients in ICU wards around the world are battling some kind of acquired infection. This study looked at data from 1,265 ICU units in 75 countries. The longer the patients stayed in the ICU, the greater the risk of becoming infected—from a 32% chance for patients staying one day or less to a 70% chance for patients staying more than seven days. These patients were more than twice as likely to die than non-infected patients. This problem accounts for about 40% of total ICU health care costs. There is a great need for new approaches to be developed to cope with resistant superbugs. Appropriately, our age is described as being on the cusp of the “post-antibiotic era.”

Last edited by Jim; 07-24-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Please do not post full articles.

what ever happened with Leila and her husband, do you keep in touch GJ??
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    what ever happened with Leila and her husband, do you keep in touch GJ??
    I haven't heard from Susanne in a while. Probably time to check up on her.

would be good to know how her husband has done long term.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I understand that one can instill the microcyn into the bladder with a large syringe and a piece of catheter tubing. Is the tubing and syringe sanitized first by dipping it in a jar of microcyn (or vetrecyn)? Can one use the same sanitizing jar again for several days?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane View Post
    I understand that one can instill the microcyn into the bladder with a large syringe and a piece of catheter tubing. Is the tubing and syringe sanitized first by dipping it in a jar of microcyn (or vetrecyn)? Can one use the same sanitizing jar again for several days?
    How do you manage your bladder?

The piece of catheter connected to a syringe is usually for the purpose of cleansing the urethra before inserting a catheter, not instilling the product into the bladder.

Vetericyn products do not use Microcyn Technology and therefore they are not as shelf stable as Microcyn Technology trademarked products.