Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Helping to Prevent Urinary Tract Infections with Microcyn Technology

There is a lot of talk about Vetericyn (equivalent to Microcyn?) cleaning your bladder. I tried it and here is my experience. For 4 days, I instilled 20 cc at bedtime and left it in overnight. The appearance of the urine cleared up, which lead me to believe that it cleared up the UTI. But as soon as I stopped, the appearance of the urine went back to the nasty state it was previously. I could get more aggressive with it but without some sort of testing I hesitate to use it much more than a few days here and there.

Question: What if you have kidney stones that are harboring bacteria? In that case, wouldn't it be true that regardless of how much you instill the product, it will only suppress the bacteria from growing in your bladder, but it won't eliminate the bacteria in the kidney? Accordingly, I am more inclined to use Macrobid (100 mg once daily) as a preventative measure.
    Last edited by August West; 08-05-2017 at 12:05 AM.

I instill and leave in my bladder twice a day for three to four hours. I do know it is off label use, but my infectious desease doctor, whose advice is usually very knowledgeable and fact based told me that the liquid is widely used for diabetic ulcers, and that other than saline solution this was the cleanest substance available and that it was his opinion it would do me no harm. That it was better than an unending series of antibiotics. At that time I was taking antibiotics every three or four weeks for over a year, and the bacteria was getting more and more resistant, at that point only intravenous ab's were effective. That was extremely scary. My urologist told me pretty much the same thing.

Having said that, I would love a plausible explanation as to why no one is willing to put forth the effort for a clinical trial. If proven safe (I have no doubt it will be found effective), Occulus or whoever it may be stands to make millions or billions.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    This has gotten silly. I had two salient points I wanted people to be aware of

1. Injecting any Microcyn like product is only anecdotally safe. I am not telling people not to do it but there was a definite lack of discussion about the fact that people are putting an untested substance inside their body. Again, I am not telling people what to do but felt they should at least know it is not a tested use of the product. To me actually putting a substance inside your body, especially on a regular basis is something that should be carefully considered. As an example people have said you can put Microcyn on your eyes it is so harmless. You can put Visine in your eyes but if you ingest it won't contrary to popular belief cause diarrhea but can cause some nasty symptoms, including coma: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002590.htm. Basically Caveat Emptor.

2. GJNL was cutting and pasting information from the Sonoma pharmaceuticals website, claiming their products were better than others based on Sonoma marketing literature. All she had to do was properly attribute where her information was coming from instead of presenting it as fact and there would have been no issue. She has since stated that she is not connected in any way to Sonoma.

You are leaving it in your bladder for four hours every day? To me that is scary and possibly dangerous.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

I would think being checked for stones and stuff would come first then when clear try preventitive measures like microcyn.

Quote Originally Posted by august west View Post
    there is a lot of talk about vetericyn (equivalent to microcyn?) cleaning your bladder. I tried it and here is my experience. For 4 days, i instilled 20 cc at bedtime and left it in overnight. The appearance of the urine cleared up, which lead me to believe that it cleared up the uti. But as soon as i stopped, the appearance of the urine went back to the nasty state it was previously. I could get more aggressive with it but without some sort of testing i hesitate to use it much more than a few days here and there.

Question: What if you have kidney stones that are harboring bacteria? In that case, wouldn't it be true that regardless of how much you instill the product, it will only suppress the bacteria from growing in your bladder, but it won't eliminate the bacteria in the kidney? Accordingly, i am more inclined to use macrobid (100 mg once daily) as a preventative measure.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I am using every morning, 40ml after i cath and leave in until i void next. My uro is fine with it, he said if it can go in deep wounds it can go in your bladder.
    Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    i have been using this product for around three years after a long bout with a resistant bug. I has been heaven sent. Yes i would like to see clinical trials specifically directed for bladder instillation, would love to have statistical data on adverse effects. But for now there is none. My urologist is very happy with my bladder and so am i, and so is my infectious desease doctor. They both have given me the green light to instill twice a day, and i leave it in until my next cath 3/4 hours after.

I was also running out of antibiotics and very hesitant about trying this.

Again, i would love to see a push for clinical trials.

Finally, in the meantime as an everyday user, i would invite anyone to start a thread on adverse effects. Many people here have been using this for 6/7 years.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I would think being checked for stones and stuff would come first then when clear try preventitive measures like microcyn.
    What you said was wise. But in all the posts I have read, you are the only one who acknowledges it. My understanding is there are types of stones that can be blasted with radio waves and there are other types of stones that cannot. If someone has the latter type of stones, then what good does Vetericyn do? In which case, is it better to be on Macrobid? Just hopping on the bandwagon without a comprehensive understanding is beyond the realm of medical science, to say the least. I'm glad it's working for so many people. But unless you know how and why, you're rolling the dice. Even that I get. If you are in pain and suffering, you want out and are willing to take some reasonable risks. But like you said, you should get checked for stones (and stuff?) first, then when clear try preventative measures. But if clear of the stones, then what other reason is there for a reoccurring UTI other than lifestyle and technique? To me, it seems this product may be justified for people with indwelling caths. But for people doing intermittent caths, perhaps you'd be better off improving lifestyle and technique vs contaminating yourself and then claiming a cleanse is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    In 2010, you were right on board with using the product. See post 505 on the thread below:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ht=open+letter
    Where do you see me injecting it into my bladder? I have also used Vetricyn successfully for a pressure sore. However I don't drink it when I have an upset stomach or shoot it up my ass when I have constipation.

In every case where I have posted a document on this thread or any other, I am pretty consistent in posting the source in the form of a web address. I've never tried to hide the my source of information
    You seem to have reading comprehension difficulties. I said nothing about posting "documents", I said were "cutting and pasting information from the Sonoma pharmaceuticals website"

For example here: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1836942

And here are two of many examples where you say Microcyn is better than a competitors product
    - http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1836867
    - http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1836976

without attributing this "fact" as a claim made by the makers of Microcyn. The crosses the line from recommending a procedure to a specific brand. Which is fine, I have done it (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1835245 ) but once you start recommending brands without any sort of disclaimer don't be surprised when your motives are questioned. Don't feel special or take it personally, I would question anyone who does something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    And here are two of many examples where you say Microcyn is better than a competitors product
    - http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1836867
    - http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1836976
    I recall reading that post and wondering is it really true that Microcyn has a longer shelf life than Vetericyn?

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I recall reading that post and wondering is it really true that Microcyn has a longer shelf life than Vetericyn?
    Fair point. I checked these two posts and it is too late to edit them. If I could, I would edit them to read "in my opinion..." I base my opinion on the FDA approvals these products have received, wherein shelf life is one of the claims made that the FDA panels review for accuracy. No where can I find that the electrolyzed water used in Vetericyn is FDA approved. So for myself, I have concluded that if I am going to use these products, I would rather spend my money on what I feel is a more stable product. I will go further and say that anyone contemplating using electrolyzed water for bladder instillation, should do their own research after they read presentations and anecdotal reports of usage here.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Fair point. I checked these two posts and it is too late to edit them. If I could, I would edit them to read "in my opinion..." I base my opinion on the FDA approvals these products have received, wherein shelf life is one of the claims made that the FDA panels review for accuracy. No where can I find that the electrolyzed water used in Vetericyn is FDA approved. So for myself, I have concluded that if I am going to use these products, I would rather spend my money on what I feel is a more stable product. I will go further and say that anyone contemplating using electrolyzed water for bladder instillation, should do their own research after they read presentations and anecdotal reports of usage here.
    Is that an opinion or speculation?

I don't deal with urinary tracts, haven't had one in 2 yrs and use spit at times for "lube"....cath with worm guts on hands and everything else.. Have said it on here 15 times but knowone wants to listen about the surgery that changed my life. I'll sleep without waking up in my BOXER briefs and not worry about pissing my pants either