Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Helping to Prevent Urinary Tract Infections with Microcyn Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane View Post
    Gjnl : I meant for this post to appear in the box with your answer to me. Guess I should have hit reply with quote... This is for a male who caths using a closed system.And thank you for the info that the vetrycyn is not shelf stable. I remember reading that
    someone on this forum used it because it was cheaper, but I thought it was the same product . So, how does one clean the urethra of a male and also keep the piece of tubing clean for the next introduction of mirocyn into the urethra?
    I understand that one can instill the microcyn into the bladder with a large syringe and a piece of catheter tubing. Those who use intermittent catheterization usually instill Microcyn/Theracyn into the bladder through the catheter, after they have finished a scheduled cath. Some people leave the solution in the bladder until the next cath. Some drain the solution out of the bladder after about 5 minutes before removing the catheter. Personally, if I were using this method, I would drain the solution from the bladder before removing the catheter. Some people have experienced bowel issues (see Post 13 on this thread above). Is the tubing and syringe sanitized first by dipping it in a jar of microcyn (or vetrecyn)? Can one use the same sanitizing jar again for several days?
    I've never used the urethral wash technique since I've only used Microcyn/Theracyn in the supra pubic I had placed 7 years ago. That said, I think I would remove the barrel from the syringe, wash the catheter segment, syringe, and barrel with soap and water, rinse and lay on a clean paper towel to dry. When you use the syringe and catheter segment next time, I would fill the syringe with Microcyn/Theracyn and wipe down the catheter segment with a Microcyn/Theracyn saturated cotton ball or pad before inserting it into the urethra. I don't think I would use the dipping technique you mentioned.

To address your comment about Vetericyn. When the original thread, Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young), (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?133414-Microcyn-Bladder-Treatment-(An-Open-Letter-to-Dr-Young)&highlight=open+letter+vetericyn) was started, a company called Innovacyn had the licensing rights to Microcyn Technology (Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc. now named Sonoma Pharmaceuticals) to use in a product called Vetericyn Skin and Wound Care for animal use. Later, they introduced another product named Vetericyn VF (Veterinarian Formula). That formula used a higher concentration of HOCl (Hydrochlorous acid). About 3-4 year ago, Innovacyn did not renew their licensing agreement with Sonoma Pharmaceuticals and began using another producers HOCl. Manna Pro an animal care company now has a licensing agreement with Sonoma Pharaceuticals to use Microcyn Technology. They market Theracyn Wound and Skin Care for animal use.

See my comments printed in blue in your second quote above.
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-27-2017 at 03:05 PM.

I've been using this for about three years or so and I am convinced it works. I started with Puracyn and now I use MicrocynAH. I only use it a couple times a month - whenever I see cloudy urine or if it smells bad. I manage my bladder with IC and when I use the MicrocynAH, I just cath normally and then I leave the catheter in and inject 60cc of Microcyn into the bladder. I keep it in there for 10 minutes and then let it drain out. I usually see improvements in my next void but sometimes it takes a couple of voids for it to look nice and clear again.

I've seen that some people use it much more often, like every day, but that would get expensive pretty quick. I've had great results just using it as needed. I haven't had to treat a UTI since I started using this stuff. Incidentally, my urologist (that treats a lot of SCI patients) said my bladder looked great at my last cystoscopy. He hadn't heard of anyone using Microcyn as a flush, though.

Anyway, I thank all of you for putting this info on the forum - even if it took forever to read!

Quote Originally Posted by STOLhorse View Post
    I've been using this for about three years or so and I am convinced it works. I started with Puracyn and now I use MicrocynAH. I only use it a couple times a month - whenever I see cloudy urine or if it smells bad. I manage my bladder with IC and when I use the MicrocynAH, I just cath normally and then I leave the catheter in and inject 60cc of Microcyn into the bladder. I keep it in there for 10 minutes and then let it drain out. I usually see improvements in my next void but sometimes it takes a couple of voids for it to look nice and clear again.

I've seen that some people use it much more often, like every day, but that would get expensive pretty quick. I've had great results just using it as needed. I haven't had to treat a UTI since I started using this stuff. Incidentally, my urologist (that treats a lot of SCI patients) said my bladder looked great at my last cystoscopy. He hadn't heard of anyone using Microcyn as a flush, though.

Anyway, I thank all of you for putting this info on the forum - even if it took forever to read!
    Thanks for describing your method of using the skin and wound care liquids. It is good to hear different ways.

I'm under the impression that MicrocynAH is being phased out and what is on the shelves is being sold off. Manna Pro has a licensing agreement with Sonoma Pharmaceuticals to market Microcyn Technology veterinarian formulations named Theracyn Skin and Wound Care liquids and gels.

Instillation is the preferred term. Inject connotes needles. A medical dictionary defines instillation as a procedure in which a fluid is slowly introduced into a cavity or passage of the body and allowed to remain for a specific length of time before being drained or withdrawn. It is performed to expose the tissues of the area to the solution or to a drug or substance in the solution. Slow introduction into and retention for an amount of time is exactly how Microcyn and Theracyn are used.

Thx GJNL. Good info and I'm going to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I've heard this all before from you. If I know the drill, you fluster and bluster about for a couple more posts then pronounce you're out of here.
    I am sure you realize that I just lack the interest to match your non stop posting about Microcyn. Sorry, I am never going to be "out of here".

I wouldn't have started this thread if a moderator hadn't closed the Open Letter to Dr. Young for no logical reason or explanation. Closed threads sink to the bottom of the heap because members can no longer post to them. A large body of anecdotal information is lost. Anecdotal information plays a part in raising awareness in the medical community and contributes to drug trials. All of us would like to see Microcyn Technology in a drug trial to help prevent urinary tract infections. I'm trying to revive the ability to create this kind of content.
    Your reasoning is specious at best and probably simply disingenuous. The closed thread is still searchable, Sonoma has been selling a Microcyn based UTI formula in Mexio for at least two years. Given how much larger (as well as people willing to pay 25 dollars for 16 ounces of bleach water) the US market is, either they lack the confidence it will be successful in a clinical trial or simply rely on people like you to post enough content so when people google Microcyn and UTI your numerous posts on the topic (some simply cut and pastes from the Sonoma website) show up.

One of the main purposes of this site is to give members the opportunity to share experiences with products and techniques.
    Indeed it is. I have been on this site for 8 years and have never seen on product discussed more. If people where just promoting it as a wound care treatment I would have nothing to say on the matter. People are shooting this stuff inside their bodies based on anecdotal accounts of how this works. Even if it does work there has been no study on the effect of the prolonged exposure to this in your bladder, dosage amount, frequency. Just anonymous people in the internet things like this:

When I backed away from putting the Vetericyn in my bladder and leaving it until the next cath, my diarrhea cleared up pretty quickly. A little more cause and effect experimentation seemed to show a link.

There was this long explanation of how the cells were small enough to pass through the bladder wall and permeate the surrounding tissue and the ions that killed the weebeasties in my bladder were killing the flora I needed for digestion. As I said, there was wine involved in the conversation...

I now use Vetericyn as a peri-wash before every cath. When I start to experience symptoms of UTI, I instill 20 CCs for no longer than 10 minutes and the symptoms go away (I LOVE sparkly pee) and I experience none of the nasty side-effects that we anecdotally linked to its use.
    Lovely, apparently "this may cause you to crap yourself if overused". But then again there may be no connection at all because none of this information has been held to any sort of scientific test.

You are free to promote your product, I am also free to warn people that they should be careful about what they are doing.
    Last edited by t8burst; 07-28-2017 at 07:01 PM.

t8burst: This product seems different because it is not irritating to sensitive skin, eyes, mouth like bleach and because of its effectiveness with mersa and perhaps other resistant bugs.
    It is a .003% solution of hypochlorous acid, that low a solution of "bleach" or Sodium hypochlorite wouldn't irritate your skin, eyes or mouth either. It would also cost a lot less than Microcyn. My sole reason for posting to to make sure people know that this is not a treatment that has had any testing or FDA approval, which is not apparent from the stream of posts promoting Sonoma pharmaceutical. Odd that other companies that make this exact same product are said to be inferior, but of course no one has any relationship to the makers of Microcyn on this thread... Right.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    It is a .003% solution of hypochlorous acid, that low a solution of "bleach" or Sodium hypochlorite wouldn't irritate your skin, eyes or mouth either. It would also cost a lot less than Microcyn. My sole reason for posting to to make sure people know that this is not a treatment that has had any testing or FDA approval, which is not apparent from the stream of posts promoting Sonoma pharmaceutical. Odd that other companies that make this exact same product are said to be inferior, but of course no one has any relationship to the makers of Microcyn on this thread... Right.
    Actually, HydroCleanse and Theracyn are 0.009% hypochlorous acid.

The only reason I suggest the Sonoma Pharmaceutical products is that if your are going to spend $17.99 for a bottle of the product to use in the bladder or as wound care, it is reassuring to know that the product has a stable shelf life and will have the same strength from opening the bottle to emptying the bottle.

You have more than a sole reason for posting as you do, another reason you post is to try to discredit me and assassinate my character. If other members spent the kind of time and energy you do to make false accusations about me and call me names, one would expect a moderator would give you a warning to be more civil on the site. But...

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post

The only reason I suggest the Sonoma Pharmaceutical products is that if your are going to spend $17.99 for a bottle of the product to use in the bladder or as wound care, it is reassuring to know that the product has a stable shelf life and will have the same strength from opening the bottle to emptying the bottle.
    And you know the Sonoma Pharmaceutical products have a longer shelf life because? Where do you get this information from?

You have more than a sole reason for posting as you do, another reason you post is to try to discredit me and assassinate my character. If other members spent the kind of time and energy you do to make false accusations about me and call me names, one would expect a moderator would give you a warning to be more civil on the site. But...
    Sorry, simply not agreeing with you or questioning your motives when you spend a lot of time and effort to promote a specific brand of a product yet claim to have no relation to the company does not qualify as not being civil.

I am finding the moderators and administrators on this site toxic. I am sick and tired or defending myself to any of them. I've put my own body of the line for 7 years. In seven years, I've have 3-4 urinary tract infections with a supra pubic catheter and no urinary tract infections in 2-1/2 years. I've had regular kidney and bladder scans and cystoscopies and according to my urologist have the best looking supra pubic stoma, bladder and kidneys he has ever seen in a quad. My urologist is a neurourologist and knows all about my use of super oxidized water in my bladder.

Should any of our membership have questions about this topic, please send me a private message. We can build a body of anecdotal experiences by private message. It is indeed unfortunate that the moderators on this site are at odds with Dr. Young, who initially was supportive of Susanne Lewis's introduction of this topic and did not post pejorative comments about her character and motives.

And "tburst" calling me a huckster and constantly impugning my character, is not, however you want to cloak it, not civil behavior. I am totally okay with your skepticism about the product. Post all you want to about that, but don't call me into disrepute and roll that all up with trying to destroy me, as a person, an individual. Stop using the tired propaganda technique of ad hominem abuse to further your agenda. That is not civil.
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-28-2017 at 11:33 PM.

There are two issues here:

t8 wanted to make it known there are no studies testing the safety and efficacy of Microcyn. This is important for everyone to know before deciding to use. There is a safety risk because it hasn't been tested.

He also brought up the question whether you are somehow linked to the company and possibly being compensated. I don't for a second think this is the case, but it wasn't outlandish for him to bring up, it has happen here in the past.

The Moderators and myself are not at odds with Dr. Young, we all believe in free speech and the sharing of information. Just because you don't like to hear views counter to yours doesn't make us toxic.