Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Helping to Prevent Urinary Tract Infections with Microcyn Technology

I am reading that this stuff may cause diarrhea. Can anyone explain how this stuff makes it to your intestines? There are some scary implications.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I am reading that this stuff may cause diarrhea. Can anyone explain how this stuff makes it to your intestines? There are some scary implications.
    You quite likely read this on post 13 of this thread that was a reprint of a post made by JenJen at Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young), (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?133414-Microcyn-Bladder-Treatment-(An-Open-Letter-to-Dr-Young)&highlight=open+letter+vetericyn).

In seven years of studying and using the various iterations of what we now know as HydroCleanse/Theracyn/Microcyn, JenJen's is the only anecdotal report of diarrhea. There has been no other explanation offered for her experience than the one she offered in that post referenced. Since there are no other reports and JenJen's report was anecdotal, one might assume that there could have been any number of other things going in with her and the coincidence of diarrhea and using these products.

I posted JenJen's anecdotal report when I started this thread, because I was doubtful that interested people would find their way back to the closed thread and I wanted people to be aware of side effects that may have been reported. Since that is about the only side effect and experienced by only one individual that has been reported, it is remarkable in light of all the possible side effects on all prescription and other the counter medications that you read about. These products have been use by members of the Care Cure Community, Inspired, Apparalyzed, and several non spinal cord injury related sites that discuss urinary tract infections and health in the general population.
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-24-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    You quite likely read this on post 13 of this thread that was a reprint of a post made by JenJen at Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young), (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?133414-Microcyn-Bladder-Treatment-(An-Open-Letter-to-Dr-Young)&highlight=open+letter+vetericyn).

In seven years of studying and using the various iterations of what we now know as HydroCleanse/Theracyn/Microcyn, JenJen's is the only anecdotal report of diarrhea. There has been no other explanation offered for her experience than the one she offered in that post referenced. Since there are no other reports and JenJen's report was anecdotal, one might assume that there could have been any number of other things going in with her and the coincidence of diarrhea and using these products.

I posted JenJen's anecdotal report when I started this thread, because I was doubtful that interested people would find their way back to the closed thread and I wanted people to be aware of side effects that may have been reported. Since that is about the only side effect and experienced by only one individual that has been reported, it is remarkable in light of all the possible side effects on all prescription and other the counter medications that you read about. These products have been use by members of the Care Cure Community, Inspired, Apparalyzed, and several non spinal cord injury related sites that discuss urinary tract infections and health in the general population.
    I am not sure where I read it. But it wasn't the post you referenced above, so that makes at least 2 reports.

One can take the risk if they wish. But that's not my point. My point is how it happens (if it does). Because the scope of implications are wide.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I am not sure where I read it. But it wasn't the post you referenced above, so that makes at least 2 reports.

One can take the risk if they wish. But that's not my point. My point is how it happens (if it does). Because the scope of implications are wide.
    If you didn't read JenJen's anecdotal report and you think you read it some other place, then you need to go back and find where you read what you think you read and report it here with references, (chapter, line, links, and verse) not inferences, not implications, not innuendo. Either you read something other than JenJen's report that you can point to with a specific link or you can't. Just saying you think you read something, some where, sometime, somehow but you just can't remember the reference of that source is not responsible. Innuendo doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    If you didn't read JenJen's anecdotal report and you think you read it some other place, then you need to go back and find where you read what you think you read and report it here with references, (chapter, line, links, and verse) not inferences, not implications, not innuendo. Either you read something other than JenJen's report that you can point to with a specific link or you can't. Just saying you think you read something, some where, sometime, somehow but you just can't remember the reference of that source is not responsible. Innuendo doesn't count.
    I did a search and came up with this post. So now we're up to at least 2 anecdotal reports of Microcyn causing diarrhea. But it's not the one that I was recalling. Are you going to task me to find another report? So what if I find more reports? You are the one claiming it is safe. Hence, the burden of proof lies on you. How responsible is it to claim it is safe based on the absence of anecdotal evidence?

ive been using for 2 yrs zero issues
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    ive been using for 2 yrs zero issues
    Well, there you go GJNL - more absence of anecdotal evidence. You don't get to claim something is safe simply because of testimony that something didn't happen. That's not how science works.

August,
    I'm not going to get into this argument again with you or anyone else. I'm not promoting the product. I have no financial or personal interest in Sonoma Pharmaceuticals. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of people using this product with, as fuentejps says, no issues. I've said countless times that I have used these products for over 7 years and I haven't had any side effects. My urologist has scoped my bladder and done renal ultra sound studies and finds my bladder and urinary tract in excellent condition for a 71 year old, 35 years post spinal cord injury and 7 years with a supra pubic catheter. I have nothing to prove to anyone, except myself.

Thank you for finding another anecdotal report of a side effect. But it is always good practice to cite sources for others to reference. I have said before that threads like this one and others on this site on the same topic are important to gaining an understanding and providing one base for clinical trials.

GJNL,

Not trying to argue. My original question was a legitimate one. You seem like an intelligent person who has gone through too much time and effort on this topic to start cherry picking away data simply because you don't want to hear it. I think that's beneath the level of effort you have shown.

I've been doing more searching, studying and reading, delving into new places for more information about the uses of Microcyn Technology.

I happened upon an S-1 statement (initial registration form for new securities filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission) document filed November 21, 2014 and Form 424B2 Prospectus Filed Pursuant to Rule 424, Filed Jan 22, 2015, by Sonoma Pharmaceuticals (Oculus Innovative Sciences then) for 6,250,000 Shares of Common Stock and Warrants to Purchase 4,687,500 of Common Stock. I drilled down through the prospectus (these statements would make an insomniac fall alseep) and came across a section entitled:
    Current Regulatory Approvals and Clearances
    The following table summarizes our current regulatory approvals and clearances:

http://ir.sonomapharma.com/secfiling...1019687-15-298

The table is set up to report Region or country (of clearance), Type of Clearance or Approval, Year of Approval or Clearance and Summary of the indication/approved use. Microcyn Technology is approved in some 19 countries and the European Union for cleaning, irrigation, moistening, debridement and removal of foreign material from wounds, sterilizing medical instruments, wound and burn management. Then before my tired eyes, under the country of Mexico, I found a product named Microdox 60, has Medical Approval as a Medical Device, issued in 2014, for an antiseptic solution for treatment of bladder and urinary tract infections (Microdox 60 "Registered Trademark"). The FDA (Food and Drug Administrartion)-like Mexican agency is the Comisin Federal para la Proteccin contra Riesgos Sanitarios (COFEPRIS). COFEPRIS has a large mandate, overseeing not only medical devices but also the safety and import of drug and food products into Mexico.

I also found that Microdox 60 bears the "CE Marking" (abbreviation of French phrase "Conformit Europene" which literally means "European Conformity") of the European Union. CE Marking on a product is a manufacturer's declaration that the product complies with the essential requirements of the relevant European health, safety and environmental protection legislation, in practice by many of the so-called *Product Directives
    1. *Product Directives contains the "essential requirements" and/or "performance levels" and "Harmonized Standards" to which the products must conform. Harmonized Standards are the technical specifications (European Standards or Harmonization Documents) which are established by several European standards agencies (CEN, CENELEC, etc). CEN stands for European Committee for Standardization. CENELEC stands for European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization.
    2. CE Marking on a product indicates to governmental officials that the product may be legally placed on the market in their country.
    3. CE Marking on a product ensures the free movement of the product within the EFTA & European Union (EU) single market (including totally 30 EEA countries),
    4. CE Marking on a product permits the withdrawal of the non-conforming products by EEA customs and enforcement/vigilance authorities.

With this as an exciting lead, I searched the internet for Microdox 60 and found references in Australia and New Zealand.

In Australia, a medical supply and equipment company named BrightSky has the product named Microdox UTI (under the Oculus Innovative Sciences label) for sale for $19.99 AUS$ for a 500 ml bottle. You can see more information at this link:
    http://www.brightsky.com.au/BrightSk...xUTI500ml.aspx

A New Zealand pharmaceutical company, TeArai BioPharma appears to have the license to produce Microdox 60 as a Urinary Medical Device. The website describes Microdox 60 and its usage (See below). https://www.microheal.co.nz/microdox There is a link to a Usage Card. I've attached an image of the card. https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/575e1...e97fe45900.pdf

From the TeArai BioPharma website about Microdox bladder and catheter irrigation solution:

Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)s are often painful infections of any part of your urinary system ? your kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra.

UTIs are very common, especially in women and people that require catheter use.
    * UTIs are the second most common type of infection

* Approximately 30% of people with SCI (Spinal Cord Injury) experience 3 or more UTIs each year
    * UTIs are a key area of antibiotic use and antibiotic resistance
    * UTI causing bacteria often form a biofilm - a collection of bacteria that are more difficult to manage
    Practical information

Microdox is a ready to use, pH netural super-oxidised solution (SOS).
No mixing or preparation is required prior to use.
Microdox has an unopened shelf life of 24 months form manufacture.
Once opened use Microdox within 60 days.
It may be useful to record the opening date on the outside of the Microdox bottle.
Microdox has no special disposal requirements. Use or unused solution may be disposed of straight to drain or toilet.
The empty Microdox bottle may be included in recycling.
    Use as directed and if symptoms persist see your health care professional
    Bladder irrigation is mainly utilized in people requiring the use of catheters.
    If bladder irrigation is new to you please consult your Urologist or other Healthcare Professional.
    Microdox Super-oxidised solution (SOS) is a Medsafe* listed and TGA* registered Medical Device. Microdox bladder and catheter irrigation solution is use for the prevention and treatment of Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)

*Medsafe is the government of New Zealand Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Authority, responsible for the regulation of medicines and medical devices in New Zealand. They ensure that medicines and medical devices are acceptably safe.
    *TGA is the Australian Government, Department of Health, Therapeutic Goods Administration. responsible for regulating therapeutic goods including prescription medicines, vaccines, sunscreens, vitamins and minerals, medical devices, blood and blood products. Almost any product for which therapeutic claims are made must be entered in the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) before it can be supplied in Australia.

I contacted both BrightSky and MicroHeal and asked them to send me the ingredients list from the label of Microdox60. Essentially, the ingredients are the same as for Theracyn and HydroCleanse. Water: 98.837%, Sodium chloride: 0.010%, Sodium phosphate: 0.062%, Sodium sulfate: 1.082%, Ancillary substances: Hypochlorous acid: 0.009%.

This is all very new and enlightening information for me. Please note that the Microdox 60 Usage Card recommends an amount (50 cc), that few of use. Most of us use much less per instillation. As long as what you are using is working as you would like it to, I see no reason to change your routine. Further, I don't advocate using Microcyn Technology to try to cure a urinary tract infection (UTI). I know of one anecdotal case (Susanne Lewis's husband) who cured a UTI using 60 cc instillations of Microcyn every 4 hours around the clock. I would prefer to see anyone who presents with UTI symptoms to get to their primary care or urologist (who ever cares for these for you) and get a specimen to a lab for a urinalysis (UA) and culture & sensitivity (C&S) to find out which bacteria is causing the UTI and which antibiotic is most effective in killing that bacteria. Then, I suggest after taking a 12 to 14 day course of antibiotic that you get another UA and C&S to make sure the infection is cured. This is just good standard practice. Hopefully, however you won't be getting frequent and recurring UTIs when you try to prevent them with these instillations. And another note... daily instillations may not be necessary. You will need to experiment to find what works for you. Some people have reported using these instillations every time they intermittent cath. Some have reported using instillations once a day, some, every other day, some longer in between instillations.

One can ask the question, why don't Microdox 60 or other Microcyn Technology products have FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approval for use as an antiseptic solution for treatment of bladder and urinary tract infections? I don't know. Sonoma Pharmaceuticals doesn't take me into their confidence about their business plan. I've made a couple contacts (as have other Care Cure Community members) who on a limited basis will answer some questions. I can only speculate the approval process and trials required by the FDA are more expensive and burdensome than a rather small company can take on at this point in their corporate journey.

Note: The Vbulletin software doesn't allow for accent marks in foreign words. If the French and Mexican regulatory bodies identified above aren't spelled as speakers and readers of these languages would expect, it is because I removed the "?" this software substituted for diacritical markings, the registered trademark symbol or the "CE " symbol.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-02-2017 at 02:20 PM.