Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Helping to Prevent Urinary Tract Infections with Microcyn Technology

Helping to Prevent Urinary Tract Infections with Microcyn Technology

Recently a thread entitled Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young), (http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?133414-Microcyn-Bladder-Treatment-(An-Open-Letter-to-Dr-Young)&highlight=open+letter+vetericyn) was inexplicably closed by a moderator. The thread has been on the Care Cure Community in the Care Forum since April 3, 2010. The last post, number 1994, was on July 12, 2017. It was a popular and enduring thread, albeit long and a little difficult to read through, which is understandable for a thread so lengthy.

"Leila" (also known as Susanne Lewis) the original poster wrote a letter to Dr. Wise Young about using electrolyzed water, or super-oxidized water, specifically Microcyn (and at the time the letter was posted, Vetericyn) Skin and Wound Care Spray, manufactured and distributed by Oculus Innovative Sciences (name has changed recently to Sonoma Pharmaceuticals) as a bladder instillation to help prevent urinary tract infections. "Leila's" husband has been using electrolyzed water, or super-oxidized water since 2008 and in at least one case, anecdotally, cured a urinary tract infection.

"Leila's" major reason for starting the thread was to get some feedback from Dr. Young about how to get clinical trials started for this product. Dr. Young answered the post the next day, briefly outlining a couple of processes. He stated in his letter, "Having a body of people who provide positive testimonials may help Microcyn or urologists to initiate a clinical trial." Dr. Young was not dismissive of the thread, participated in the thread by posting a couple more times, and obviously didn't remove, move, or close the thread as inappropriately placed in the Care Forum on Care Cure Community.

Unfortunately, when threads on Care Cure Community are closed and no one can respond to them, they eventually drop down to the bottom of the forum. They are out of sight, out of mind, and a whole body of information is lost to members, old and new.

I am starting this thread to re-post the letter "Leila" wrote and Dr. Young's first response. Since Dr. Young did not object to the placement of the original thread in the Care Forum, I've chosen that forum for this thread. I hope that by reposting this letter, "Leila's" original intent will be revitalized and a body of people can provide and post their positive testimonials of the use of electrolyzed water, or super-oxidized water to this thread.

As a technical note...this letter was published on Care Cure Community before the site went through a major upgrade. It seems that some words, letters, and punctuation have been corrupted by a combination of symbols. For instance, UTI?€™ has replaced the words urinary (possibly bladder) infections. In other instances ?€™ has replaced an apostrophe. ?€” appears at at the end of a word and seems to replace a comma or a period. With that in mind, the posts are still readable and understandable.

Hopefully, the discussion about the prevention of urinary tract infections with the instillation of electrolyzed water, or super-oxidized water into the bladder can continue in this thread without moderator censorship. If you have questions about where to buy products, it may be a good idea to post in the Equipment & Services forum. It seems that one of the reasons the "Open Letter" thread was closed is that the moderator objected to "where to buy" questions in the Care Forum (See post number 5 on http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...-with-Microcyn). That said, I can't begin to count how many times and how many threads have been posted in the Care Forum about where to buy Enemeez, Magic Bullets, Poiesis Duette Catheters and many other supplies and products we use in our daily care routines.
    "Leila's" letter to Dr. Young will appear as a reprint in post number two. Dr. Young's response will appear as a reprint in post number three.
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-20-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Reprinted from a closed thread on the Care Cure Community: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...tter+vetericyn

Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young)
    An Open Letter to Dr. Young:

Hello Dr. Young,

In this letter I would like to address the issue of initiating clinical trials with electrolyzed salt water, or super-oxidized water, to test its efficacy in preventing and even eliminating UTI?€™s in people who self-catheterize.

I have been visiting this forum for about two years now, on behalf of my husband, who began self-catheterizing in March 2008, due to obstruction of the urethra from years of BPH, as well as neurogenic bladder from years of chronic retention. Although my husband is not a SCI patient, I came to this forum because it has the most information on self-catheterizing?€”more than any site on the web I have visited. We have been able to solve many problems my husband was encountering, just by reading how others on this forum had solved the same problems. For this we are deeply grateful.

But there was one problem that seemed insurmountable?€”recurring UTI?€™s. My husband was getting an infection about every six to eight weeks, no matter how many improvements we made in his sterile procedure, etc. We followed all the advice we could get, and nothing seemed to work. His urologist always prescribed fluoroquinolones, which worked beautifully at first, but over time the microbes seemed to be getting used to this class of antibiotics, and so he seemed to be colonized most of the time. We tried other classes of antibiotics, but they worked no better. The problem became critical when the antibiotics started attacking the cartilage in his body?€”he is an older man, 72 years of age. He had always been active, going to the gym and walking every day, but he actually ended up on crutches with his feet so swollen he couldn?€™t walk into the bathroom. After doing much research I discovered that although the fluoroquinolones do the best job at getting rid of the UTI?€™s (at least for a time) they are chrondrotoxic, among other things. I refer you to an article online, ?€œFluoroquinolones are just plain toxic?€,
    http://www.injuryboard.com/printfriendly.aspx?id=252964 . Of course, fluroquinoones are not the only antibiotics with damaging side-effects. We have experienced real trouble with all of them, when used repeatedly. But Cipro is particularly notorious, causing tendon rupture, cartilage damage, arthritis, just basically interfering with DNA synthesis. Of course you know that the FDA was compelled to put out a black-box warning on Cipro, which is pretty serious, for a black box warning is the strongest possible warning to the public. But, as I said, Cipro is not alone in being cytotoxic when used repeatedly.

When my husband ended up on crutches, it looked like we had hit an impasse we just could not get past?€”after all our efforts to master the catheterization technique in hopes of a good quality of life. But nobody was talking about any alternatives that were truly effective?€”something we could really count on to solve the problem. That?€™s when we came across Bob Clark?€™s posts about this matter. Bob clearly articulated that the problem stems from the colonization of the urethra, particularly the distal urethra. It would seem that the urethra of those who self-catheterize is like an open wound as far as microbes are concerned. It offers a perfect place for colonization and eventual infection. Why is this, since everyone?€™s distal urethra is probably colonized? Because people who self-catheterize cannot rinse out the urethra when urinating, since they do not urinate normally. In an article called ?€œInfections of the Urogenital Tract and STD?€™s?€ (
    http://faculty.ivytech.edu/~twmurphy/txt_202/Urog_inf.html ), the author states, ?€œThe flow of urine and mucous through the urinary tract helps eliminate bacteria that have invaded. The distal urethra is colonized by several bacterial species in both the male and female but bacterial numbers are reduced by the washing action of the urine during urination.?€ Thus the whole problem in a nutshell. And worse yet, the catheter tends to push those unchallenged microbes up into the bladder where they can further colonize and infect.

So we tried Bob?€™s method, using hydrogen peroxide to rinse the urethra prior to each catheterization. At first it seemed to work beautifully, but there was one catch for my husband. He has a very tight passage through the membranous urethra, just before the external sphincter, and every now and then, if he isn?€™t careful enough, it will get nicked and bleed a little. With the use of hydrogen peroxide, the nicks weren?€™t healing up properly. We attributed this to interference with fibroblast formation. So we stopped using the hydrogen peroxide and switched to saline solution. This seemed to help a lot, and he got four months without having to use antibiotics, but he was colonized the whole time, so the saline solution was to weak to really do the job. And using antibiotics only every four months was still not acceptable, health wise.

That?€™s when we found out about super-oxidized water, sometimes called EOW?€”electrolyzed oxidizing water. This is actually electrolyzed salt water, and the commercial name is Microcyn. I refer you to an article,
    http://www.rexresearch.com/elexwater/elexwater.htm , which gives a perspective on some of the uses EOW can be put to . It?€™s really quite remarkable. So we ordered a lot of Microcyn, and even though it was too expensive for our budget (Veterans Pension) we didn?€™t care. Going into debt is nothing compared to what we were facing without the Microcyn. Well, to make a long story a little less lengthy, it has been working beautifully. My husband has not had a UTI for seven months, and he is definitely not colonized. We are using the technique outlined by Bob in his posts, but we irrigate up a little further than he does?€”getting up as close as possible to the external sphincter, without penetrating it. We use the little irrigation apparatus Bob described on this forum.

My question is this: Why haven?€™t clinical trials been initiated to test the effectiveness of EOW in people who self-catheterize? Surely you are aware of the potential it has to eliminate these dangerous infections and the hazards of repeated antibiotic use. Why was Bob?€™s heartfelt plea to initiate clinical trials ignored? Why have his important ideas been marginalized? I speak from experience here?€”following Bob?€™s suggestions to help us find the right way for my husband clearly saved his life, and it could also save the lives of many others. This is a very urgent matter. When you look right at the problem, it?€™s pretty foolish to teach a person to self-cath, knowing that he/she will be at risk for recurring UTI?€™s, no matter how careful they are?€”without first teaching them to eliminate the colonization within the urethra. It?€™s like a person leaving the front door unlocked, and then when thieves come in to rob the place, shoot them. This may work?€”they may succeed in killing the thieves, but the collateral damage will be significant. And all they had to do was lock the front door in the first place. It?€™s a no-brainer.

Consider the syndrome that has occurred so many times over the course of medical history. To quote a passage form a book entitled Pushing Ultimates: ?€œBack before Pasteur, circa 1785, when hundreds of women were dying from childbirth infection, Alexander Gordon noticed that the cleaner things were in the birthing room the less a women giving birth was susceptible to infection. Though he attempted to spread the word about the need for cleanliness, he was scorned and ignored. Seventy years later Ignaz Semmelweis, aware that hundreds of women were still dying of what was called childbirth fever, took extensive empirical procedures to test the cleanliness element in birthing rooms, especially having doctors wash their hands just before delivering a baby. Yet though Semmelweis did his best, even using empirical evidence to prove cleanliness was essential, he was rejected, ridiculed and ignored, thus thousands of women continued to die because of such arrogant self-willed ignorance.?€

Please, Dr. Young, do not allow yourself to be guilty of ?€œself-willed?€ ignorance. Ignoring this crucial prophylactic step in self-catheterization is actually a violation of the Hippocratic oath, for harm is being done through ignorance and oversight.

I have contacted the representative at Oculus IS, and she says they are ready and waiting to cooperate with clinical trials. Significantly, they have also developed Microcyn in gel form, and this could possibly be used as a lubricant for the self-cathing process, in lieu of or in addition to irrigation of the urethra with Microcyn liquid.

Well, that?€™s pretty much all I have to say at this time.

May you grasp the sincerity of my intent.

Susanne Lewis

Reprinted from a closed thread on the Care Cure Community: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...tter+vetericyn

Leila,

Thank you very much for your convincing and passionate letter. There are two ways that you can go about getting clinical trials. The first is to convince a urologist in a well-respected academic center to organize a clinical trial. That urologist has to convince his or her colleagues to do a multicenter trial, find a supplier of the superoxidized water, and a funding source (like NIH) for the clinical trial. The second option is to get a company interested in taking on the product (in hopes of gaining a profit) and having that company organize and pay for the trial.

So, my question to you is why Microcyn is not taking the second option and whether people that have been using superoxidized water are being taken care of by urologists who are sufficiently impressed by what is happening to organize a clinical trial. Having a body of people who provide positive testimonials may help Microcyn or urologists to initiate a clinical trial.

Wise.

I am truly not sure of KLD's thought processes in closing the thread, although I will admit that as a moderator, I found myself responding to that thread last, just because it was so long. I will not "censor" this restart and although I truly can not speak for the other moderator's, I am happy to see that it is restarted. (Tech savvy, I am not and it never crossed my mind to do this.) Happy posting!
    ckf

Four years ago, an investment newsletter, entitled The Life Sciences Report interviewed Josh Levine, editor of Josh Levine's MicroCap Investor. In the interview, Mr. Levine discussed Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc’s as a possible investment in the area of biotechnology companies. Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc., has recently changed it’s name to Sonoma Pharmacueticals (http://www.sonomapharma.com/). They manufacture and distribute Microcyn Technology products. One of the companies first and biggest products is Microcyn Skin and Would Care Spray.

Sonoma Pharmaceuticals has licensed Microcyn Technology to Manna Pro (https://www.mannapro.com/about-us), a leader in the field of the care and nurturing of animals. Manna Pro markets Microcyn Technology for animals with products branded under the name Theracyn.

The following interview highlights how Microcyn Technology works, how Microcyn Technology is different from bleach, and how effective and safe Microcyn Technology is in treating sores, wounds and diabetic foot ulcers.

The Street Wise Reports, The Life Science Report:
    https://www.streetwisereports.com/pu...-game-changers

TLSR (The Life Sciences Report): Go ahead first with your favorite idea.

JL (Josh Levine): First is Oculus Innovative Sciences Inc. (OCLS:NASDAQ). The company has developed an outstanding medical product called Microcyn. It is an anti-infective agent that comes in a solution and hydrogel. It's pH neutral and is similar to the hypochlorous acid that is produced by neutrophils (a type of white blood cell), which respond to infection, kill bacteria and promote healing. White blood cells release this natural oxidant to fight invading pathogens. Microcyn works according to a carefully controlled chemistry that appears to mimic the body's natural mechanisms.

TLSR: How similar is it to sodium hypochlorite, which is bleach? Microcyn smells like bleach.

JL: Actually, the active ingredient is totally different. Some people in the "websphere" have said that it is just diluted bleach, but it couldn't be more different. The active ingredient in Microcyn, hypochlorous acid, is 70 times more efficacious than the active ingredient in bleach, sodium hypochlorite. Hypochlorous acid is a much stronger antimicrobial agent than sodium hypochlorite. You don't find bleach in the body. Also, from firsthand experience, I can tell you Microcyn is completely safe to drink or spray in the eyes or nasal cavity.
    Currently, Microcyn is generally applied to wounds and promotes healing. As the company has moved along it has found hundreds of different uses, including dermatological, oral and surgical uses among a range of vertical markets. Microcyn is very effective because of its anti-infective properties—it kills virtually all bacteria, viruses and fungi—and it has been shown to reduce inflammation, promote oxygen flow and contribute to more rapid healing.

TLSR: I know that Microcyn has several U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) clearances. Have all these clearances come through medical device-type development pathways?

JL: Yes. I think the company has about half a dozen clearances so far, and there are several more in the pipeline, but the company is also pursuing Microcyn as a drug. Initially, it created a formulation proposed for use as an irrigant in surgical situations, and this is very important because it represents the next big phase in the company's development. Right now, saline is the irrigant used most often in surgeries. Microcyn clearly has many advantages over saline because it is such a powerful anti-infective and because of its anti-inflammatory nature.

TLSR: It sounds like it could minimize the use of antibiotics in some patients. Is that how the company is thinking?

JL: Yes. And Microcyn shows no development of bacterial resistance, which is a huge problem in the antibiotic world. Early on Oculus put Microcyn to use on diabetic foot ulcers, which are wickedly terrible and often result in amputations. A number of people have done studies in this area, and Microcyn has had really tremendous results. Dr. Cheryl Bongiovanni, director of the Vascular Laboratories/Wound Clinics at Lake District Hospital in Lakeview, Oregon, a major wound care center, has used it for a number of years and has talked about it in videos and on conference calls. She has said that with the introduction of the Microcyn product, the use of oral antibiotics for wounds has dropped to zero. That is amazing. Her most memorable comment was that it wouldn't matter if Microcyn cost $1,000 per bottle because Microcyn saves so much money by simply shortening the course of treatment so dramatically.

There are two methods of using Microcyn Technology liquid to help prevent urinary tract infection described in the thread Microcyn Bladder Treatment (An Open Letter to Dr. Young), http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...tter+vetericyn
    First, rinsing the urethra with Microcyn before inserting a catheter and second, instilling Microcyn into the bladder.

Method for a Male
    "Leilia" describes her husband?s technique of using Microcyn as follows (See post 5 on the thread referenced above::
    "Microbes can be introduced each time the catheter is inserted, no matter how careful you are. My husband, John, attached a six inch length of catheter to a 10 cc syringe. He draws up about 5 cc of Microcyn and irrigates the length of the penile urethra (not penetrating the external sphicter). He then waits 30 seconds (the kill time for Microcyn) and catheterizes as usual. His urethra is always clean as a whistle. Really clean. Thus no infections.?"

In post number 9, "JenJen" describes how she rinses the urethra before inserting a catheter.
    Method for a Female.
    "I take the little straw out of the sprayer and use the bottle by turning it upside down so I can reach. You will not need to take that step. I just generously spray my genitals and insert my cath which has been wet in the same stuff (I keep some in another bottle for dipping caths). It IS expensive but (for me), well worth it."

In post number 17, "JenJen" describes her technique for bladder instillation.
    "At this point, when I do a bladder instillation, I use 10cc for about 5 minutes. I only do it twice a day when I'm fighting an infection.

I hope it works for you. My results are dramatically quick."

In post number 26, "Leila" describes a urologist's technique (I don?t know exactly whose technique this is, but it may be Dr. Gail BonGiovanni's or one of her associates).
    "OK. I now have general guidelines for instillation of the bladder with Microcyn in order to eliminate drug resistant colonization and/or infection. This method has been carried out by a competent urologist in a clinical setting, hundreds of times with a 100% success rate. It has cured MRSA staph and psuedomonas and many other resistant microbes.

1. Cath the bladder, emptying it as completely as possible;
    2. Instill 60 cc of Microcyn
    3. As soon as the instillation is complete, empty the bladder, thus flushing it;(you do not wait even five minutes after the instillation is complete before emptying it)
    4. Perform this process twice a day, say, morning and evening

Repeat the next day if necessary. It will vary with each individual. You know when you have a bladder infection, and you will be able to sense when the job is done. It might take just the one day (two flushings) or it may require a second day.

When the bladder is empty it is involuted, or folded, so repeating the procedure guarantees that you are getting any leftover microbes that may be hiding in the folds.

Remember--you cannot overuse Microcyn, and it will directly calm any infalmmation that the colonization and/or inflammation is causing.

Be sure the Microcyn is at room temperature--that it is not cold. If it is cold, it may provoke spasms in the bladder, which are painful. But room temp is good."
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-21-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    there are two methods of using microcyn technology liquid to help prevent urinary tract infection described in the thread microcyn bladder treatment (an open letter to dr. Young), http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...tter+vetericyn
    first, rinsing the urethra with microcyn before inserting a catheter and second, instilling microcyn into the bladder.

Method for a male
    "leilia" describes her husband?s technique of using microcyn as follows (see post 5 on the thread referenced above::
    "microbes can be introduced each time the catheter is inserted, no matter how careful you are. My husband, john, attached a six inch length of catheter to a 10 cc syringe. He draws up about 5 cc of microcyn and irrigates the length of the penile urethra (not penetrating the external sphicter). He then waits 30 seconds (the kill time for microcyn) and catheterizes as usual. His urethra is always clean as a whistle. Really clean. Thus no infections.?"

in post number 9, "jenjen" describes how she rinses the urethra before inserting a catheter.
    Method for a female.
    "i take the little straw out of the sprayer and use the bottle by turning it upside down so i can reach. You will not need to take that step. I just generously spray my genitals and insert my cath which has been wet in the same stuff (i keep some in another bottle for dipping caths). It is expensive but (for me), well worth it."

in post number 17, "jenjen" describes her technique for bladder instillation.
    "at this point, when i do a bladder instillation, i use 10cc for about 5 minutes. I only do it twice a day when i'm fighting an infection.

I hope it works for you. My results are dramatically quick."

in post number 26, "leila" describes a urologist's technique (i don?t know exactly whose technique this is, but it may be dr. Gail bongiovanni's or one of her associates).
    "ok. I now have general guidelines for instillation of the bladder with microcyn in order to eliminate drug resistant colonization and/or infection. This method has been carried out by a competent urologist in a clinical setting, hundreds of times with a 100% success rate. It has cured mrsa staph and psuedomonas and many other resistant microbes.

1. Cath the bladder, emptying it as completely as possible;
    2. Instill 60 cc of microcyn
    3. As soon as the instillation is complete, empty the bladder, thus flushing it;(you do not wait even five minutes after the instillation is complete before emptying it)
    4. Perform this process twice a day, say, morning and evening

repeat the next day if necessary. It will vary with each individual. You know when you have a bladder infection, and you will be able to sense when the job is done. It might take just the one day (two flushings) or it may require a second day.

When the bladder is empty it is involuted, or folded, so repeating the procedure guarantees that you are getting any leftover microbes that may be hiding in the folds.

Remember--you cannot overuse microcyn, and it will directly calm any infalmmation that the colonization and/or inflammation is causing.

Be sure the microcyn is at room temperature--that it is not cold. If it is cold, it may provoke spasms in the bladder, which are painful. But room temp is good."
    so this isnt an instill but a flush? I have been just leaving it in until next void.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

My understanding is that it can be used either way. But, I don't use it. What is the consensus out there?
    ckf

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    so this isnt an instill but a flush? I have been just leaving it in until next void.
    I tend to think of the introduction of a liquid into the bladder in the following ways:

• To flush (out) clots and debris from bladder
    • To instill medication to bladder lining (usually has a time component of retention)
    • To restore flow to catheter tubing

In that most of us introduce Microcyn into the bladder and retain it for a period of time to allow for sufficient contact with bladder lining, I prefer to use the term instill.

Suggestion-if that original thread cannot be reopened, can it be added to the sticky threads which are kept at the beginning of the Care forum?
    Last edited by alan; 07-22-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.