Thread: Stomach Muscles Tighten and Lock Up

Stomach Muscles Tighten and Lock Up

I'm a C7 with non-symmetrical control. Meaning my left side of my body has less control whereas my right side more or less has full control. For instance, my right stomach muscles are strong but my left stomach muscles are non-existent.

The problem I regularly encounter is my right stomach muscles will tighten up and almost lockup. Say I'm sitting at my computer in a certain position all of the sudden my entire right stomach muscles will feel extremely tight and I can feel them. It feels almost like I just did 100 situps.

I suspect this is due to how I was positioned at my computer and my muscles were being over used.

My question is if anyone else has experience this and has any recommendations. I am thinking of asking for muscle relaxers when this situation occurs and looking to find some exercises to reduce this situation. Maybe streches.

The only thing which helps is to lay on my stomach for a while to give my muscles some time to relax.

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    I had a similar problem for a couple of years. It got so bad that the spasms would prevent my diaphram from moving and I'd nearly suffocate (in fact, I did twice; Very scary!). hewing a gabapentin (yuck) would cause an immediate release of he spasm and I always kept some nearby. I finally discovered that it was caused by my positioning. A new wheelchair solved the problem.

r
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

I've had similar experiences where I'm 30 seconds away from calling 911. It almost feels like one might imagine a heart attack would feel.

I played this poker tournament were I was in my wheelchair for basically 12 hours straight. I went to my hotel room to sleep and in a few hours I woke up and could hardly breathe with tightness. I then panicked at this thought which made it much worse.