Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need input on suprapubic for Quad.

I concur with all posts above that have sung the praises of the supra pubic catheter. I've had a supra pubic catheter for 7 years (I am c6/7 quad complete, and I can't conceive of going back to being a slave to intermittent catheterization. Intermittent catheterization destroyed my quality of life because in the end, I was having to cath/be cathed every two hours around the clock. How do you live with that?

That said, you may want to check out some other threads:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ydroClense+gjl
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=microcyn
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=HydroCleanse

Let us know which way you go.
    ckf

Getting a suprapubic two years ago was the best decision I have ever made. I have not had a UTI since. Life is much easier not having to cath. I have much more independence.
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"

I have had one for 27 years due to bladder pressure, the hassle of intermittent cathing with quad hands and ultimately hydro in my right kidney. I just want to caution you that it will change your life for the better but there is a trade off and possibly a price to pay. Mine is a 22 so it's large and doesn't clog much, I stay away from too much dairy and carbs which seams to help lessen sediment and clogging. I also drink at least 1 gallon of water a day, every day. Make sure you move it from side to side, leg to leg to lessen irritation in your bladder. Your bladder will shrink around the balloon and become very small unless you clamp it off to let your bladder fill then release it. Clamping off was really not an option for me the back pressure was too risky. If I had it to do over again I would but I would use the Duette and I would take anti spasm drugs a lot sooner that I did. I would also flush with Microcyn to avoid infection.

Use good quality catheters (Duettes if you can)
    Change it every 2-3 weeks
    Follow up with your Uro Doc every year
    Flush your bags with bleach & water
    Drink, Drink, Drink water
    Use 4000 size night drainage bags so you don't overflow or backup
    Flush regularly with Microcyn
    Empty your leg bag often (half full is good)

My .02
    ^^(A)^^

Thanks for all the info..To clarify a little..I'm not able to do the cath myself..I have help that does that..I was cathing 1x day,every evening basically to empty bladder and make it easier to apply condom cath..it's hard to wash perinnel area and apply cath when your peeing. I do my bm care every other eve..when I cathedd afer bm there was only bout 10cc of urine so I stopped cathing those nights but continued on other night for reason I gave. I only get bout 3-4 uti's a yr..but need to drink more to flush,gets hard in winter mos..
    I'm wondering if some go the suprapubic route for convience..did any of you have that done because you either didn't have someone to put it on right or had problems with it staying on?
    I know a guy who became a quad at 13,C5-6, and lived 54 yrs..He always managed with a condom cath..
    I worry about the leakage..I'm alone some nights and work part time..if I leaked I could be wet for awhile...but I see some replys about wearing a pouch to absorb..
    I had to get iv therapy lrecently for a uti..I worry bout the bugs becoming resistant to antibiotics..
    In any event thanks to all..I appreciate your comments..I'll keep you posted.

Thamks..I posted a reply for all..

16 years here no uti for 10 years we change doing a clean my caregiver get thing ready but i insert and get a colostomsy is no accident freedom and more diginty quicker to had my 11 yrs

I've had one for 37 years. I've had very few uti's as long as I drink a lot of fluids. It has worked great!

I had one fitted in 2009. I've been having a few issues in the last year or so. The problem normally happens when I get into bed in the evening. Basically, I know when I am passing urine through the penis because I get this sensation in my body. In fact, is the same sensation you get when your bowels are moving. So I know straightaway I'm leaking through the previous will I get this feeling. 9/10 the catheter does not actually appear to be blocked because I could be draining into my night banks quite well. I normally get the might nurses out who will come and change it.

I have spoken to the doctor about this on a couple of occasions. I did have a camera shoved inside the bladder in January and all was absolutely fine, basically, they thought I might have bladder stones. I knew I didn't.

It's my understanding that the bladder will shrink quite a lot if you have a catheter that is draining constantly because there's nothing to keep it stretched out. My theory is that the end of the catheter will at some stage touched the bladder wall which makes it appear to be blocked slightly. It really is extremely rare that I get a complete blockage, it's only happened a couple of times.

They say you should be able to go eight weeks in between changing the suprapubic. Sometimes I can go for all five weeks with no issues at all, other times it will start playing up after a week or two.

Even though I do have problems I wouldn't go back to condom drainage. For me, the pros of having a suprapubic outweigh the cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    It's my understanding that the bladder will shrink quite a lot if you have a catheter that is draining constantly because there's nothing to keep it stretched out. My theory is that the end of the catheter will at some stage touched the bladder wall which makes it appear to be blocked slightly. It really is extremely rare that I get a complete blockage, it's only happened a couple of times.
    There is a catheter available in the United States called a Duette catheter made by Poeisis. I don't know about its availability in other countries. This catheter has two balloons, a retention balloon and a cushioning balloon. The drainage eyelets are between the two balloons. This design helps to prevent irritation to the bladder wall which can cause spasms. Spasms can cause the bladder to leak through the urethra. http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/

A low dose of an anticholinergic medication like Oxybutynin is recommends to help prevent spasms.