Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need input on suprapubic for Quad.

need input on suprapubic for Quad.

I've had c6/7 quadraplegic for 33 yrs now and manage with condom catheters. I had a spincterotomy a few times,last one 10 yrs. ago.
    I get about 4-5 uti's a year..my Urologist mentioned having this done before to help cut down uti's..I've talked to others that had this done and said they still get uti's and some get leakage out the penis..I'd hate to have this donee and still have to wear a condom cath for leakage,,leg bag on each leg.. anyone have this done?if so,how's it working? do you still get leakage orr uti's?
    I cath every other day and get between 200-350cc's.. I don't seem to drain well when sitting up which i do for bout 13 hrs a day.

any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I had my suprapubic placed in 2013 had leakage from my penis one time,never had a uti wish i had this done years ago.I didnt drain well either while sitting up when i had to use condom cath,but since i got the suprapubic tube everything drains well no matter what position im in.

Quote Originally Posted by dpatrick View Post
    I've had c6/7 quadraplegic for 33 yrs now and manage with condom catheters. I had a spincterotomy a few times,last one 10 yrs. ago.
    I get about 4-5 uti's a year..my Urologist mentioned having this done before to help cut down uti's..I've talked to others that had this done and said they still get uti's and some get leakage out the penis..I'd hate to have this donee and still have to wear a condom cath for leakage,,leg bag on each leg.. anyone have this done?if so,how's it working? do you still get leakage orr uti's?
    I cath every other day and get between 200-350cc's.. I don't seem to drain well when sitting up which i do for bout 13 hrs a day.

any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    I say get it done and use the Duette catheter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dB2RnUI64g

All I can say is that the SP has worked well for me over the last 7 years.

No regrets getting my SPC. No uti's in the 3 years I've had it compared to previous convene/IC where they were a constant problem. Had light leakage once, don't know what caused it but it hasn't happened again.

Bladder spasms can cause leakage so for this reason some people go on medication to prevent it, if it becomes a problem. Nothing is 100% foolproof, but the people I know that have had it done, echo the sentiments that have been expressed. I can honestly say that I have not heard anyone say that they wish they hadn't gotten it done, although I am sure that there are a few out there!

As far as UTI's go, most people report a decrease in them. If you drink enough fluids and are draining well, while they may not cease to exist, the number you have should go down.

ckf

I have had one for eight years now. So much better than intermittent cathing, but I still battle with UTIs. I drink over a gallon of water a day and do all of the rest of the things to avoid them, but still get them. Like the nurse said, there is nothing perfect out there unfortunately. I am still glad I have it, but just know that it is not perfect.

had one for 38 years - keep things clean, drink lots fluids and very few uti's. can imagine trying to self cath all the time. c 6/7

Thanks to all foer the feedback.

Four years here. My SP has been so much easier. The catching process as a c5-6 was a problem. No uti's since.