Thread: Does anyone's urologist reccomend this to prevent UTI's ?

Does anyone's urologist reccomend this to prevent UTI's ?

My urologist recommended taking Methenamine Hippurate,1 gm tab 2x a day, to help prevent future uti's..has anyone taken this ,if so,did it help?
    I have C6/7 quadraplegia,complete, for 33 yrs. now. I still use condom catheters, hollister extended wear, and change 1x day. I had a few spincterotomys,last one 10 yrs.ago,..
    I was cathing to empty bladder 1 x day, but only have it done 1x every other day now as I didn't have much residual when cathing after my bowel routine,which I do every other day, so I've just been cathing on days when I don't do bm routine. My residual amounts are usually between 200cc and 350cc.when I'm cathed.
    any input would be appreciated esp.from SCI nurses.
    Thank You

Is that Hiprex? I took it 14 years ago after my accident and it did not help me much. It was widely prescribed back then, I am not sure it s so much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by dpatrick View Post
    My urologist recommended taking Methenamine Hippurate,1 gm tab 2x a day, to help prevent future uti's..has anyone taken this ,if so,did it help?
    I have C6/7 quadraplegia,complete, for 33 yrs. now. I still use condom catheters, hollister extended wear, and change 1x day. I had a few spincterotomys,last one 10 yrs.ago,..
    I was cathing to empty bladder 1 x day, but only have it done 1x every other day now as I didn't have much residual when cathing after my bowel routine,which I do every other day, so I've just been cathing on days when I don't do bm routine. My residual amounts are usually between 200cc and 350cc.when I'm cathed.
    any input would be appreciated esp.from SCI nurses.
    Thank You
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Yes, my son is a c6/7 and has been taking this drug for almost 13 years. He rarely gets a uti. He stopped for a while and started getting uti's regularly. This drug has been a mini miracle.

This drug was used many years ago and had very mixed reviews. It will not hurt you and if you are having problems, it may help. In my opinion, you need to have your bladder routine re-evaluated. Cathing every other day is really not accomplishing much other than completely emptying your bladder every other day. Using a condom catheter is not without problems, as bacteria can grow there and climb back into your body. When was the last time that you had a CMG and Renal Scan? What does your lab work look like?
    ckf

I see my urologist 1x year..before appt. I have bloodwork and ultrasound of bladder and kidneys..and Dr. reviews it..i haven't heard anything alarming. there iss a lil stone in l bladder wall,hasnt moved though..
    I also go to the VA 1x yr for annual checkup which includes ultrasound of kidneys and bladder...they used to do cystoscope yearly but stopped doing them yearly years ago..they only do if they need to. so haven't had cysto in bout 10 yrs..
    if I had a suprapubic,could bacteria get in bladder through there too? condom cath gets changed daily and wash up..
    I worry bout leakage out of penis if I have a suprapubic..i cant clean up by myself and would be wet for hrs till evening help comes...does all this info help?

Quote Originally Posted by dpatrick View Post
    I see my urologist 1x year..before appt. I have bloodwork and ultrasound of bladder and kidneys..and Dr. reviews it..i haven't heard anything alarming. there iss a lil stone in l bladder wall,hasnt moved though..
    I also go to the VA 1x yr for annual checkup which includes ultrasound of kidneys and bladder...they used to do cystoscope yearly but stopped doing them yearly years ago..they only do if they need to. so haven't had cysto in bout 10 yrs..
    if I had a suprapubic,could bacteria get in bladder through there too? condom cath gets changed daily and wash up..
    I worry bout leakage out of penis if I have a suprapubic..i cant clean up by myself and would be wet for hrs till evening help comes...does all this info help?
    if I had a suprapubic,could bacteria get in bladder through there too?
    Any time there is an indwelling catheter, urethral or supra pubic, bacteria can enter the bladder. As with any urinary bladder management, good hygiene is essential or minimize infection. Actually, you may experience few urinary tract infection with a supra pubic catheter that your current method because you won't have any residual urine to act as a breeding ground for bacteria.

With a supra pubic catheter in place, you may leak a little because bladder spasms. But it is recommended that you take a low dose of antcholinergic (anti spasm) medication like oxybutynin to reduce spasms. You may leak urine from the penis if you have a urinary tract infection. That's because the bladder spasms much more when infected than when it is healthy. Moreover, you can wear a pouch on the penis that will absorb any minor leaking. If you start using these pouches after you have a supra pubic, you will probably stop using them in a while, because you will have built up confidence that you don't leak, as you may think you might.

Can't really add anything to the post above. However, I do know many people who have had this procedure done and wished that they had had it done sooner. There are a few ( and I do mean a few) who have wished they didn't have it done - but not disproportionate to the number who are happy that they had it done.
    ckf

I take it, and I can't see it as having prevent me from getting UTIs.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.