Thread: Very Accessible Eye Exam?

Question Very Accessible Eye Exam?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place in southern New England where it's possible to get a complete eye exam for prescription glasses. I've called just about every place in Rhode Island, where I live, and they all said that either their offices were not wheelchair accessible in general, or I would have to be able to get out of my chair to get a full exam, which I'm not able to do. I went somewhere recommended by my PCP, and was only able to get a basic exam using a handheld device, they couldn't test me for astigmatism because the machine was on a table which couldn't raise up, and I would've had to lean forward more than I can; so my prescription just says my right eye is X over 20 and my left eye is Y over 20, it doesn't have any axis or cylinder information.

Anyone know of a place which might work?

Actually, if you are denied care or an exam by a medical clinic due to your disability or inaccessibility of their facilities, this is a violation of the ADA. The ADA states you must be provided the same level of care, exams, and treatment as a AB person would received. You should speak to the clinic business manager and let them know that you would much prefer to work with them to make their facilities accessible than file a complaint with the DOJ or file a suit.

That being said, I would see if you can get into a large teaching hospital clinic; they are more likely to have accessible facilities than private clinics.

Here are the regulations so you can reference these in discussing your needs with the facilities in question:
    https://www.ada.gov/medcare_mobility_ta/medcare_ta.htm

(KLD)

I always stay in my chair for an eye exam and they move the eye contraption to me. I just wish I could insert contact lenses so I can get away from glasses.)

Thank you for the information, KLD, and also for the teaching hospital suggestion, that'll be the first place I look.

I have always stayed in my chair too. I have been to 4 or 5 different places and they always made room for me to sit in my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by keh478udhh View Post
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place in southern New England where it's possible to get a complete eye exam for prescription glasses. I've called just about every place in Rhode Island, where I live, and they all said that either their offices were not wheelchair accessible in general, or I would have to be able to get out of my chair to get a full exam, which I'm not able to do. I went somewhere recommended by my PCP, and was only able to get a basic exam using a handheld device, they couldn't test me for astigmatism because the machine was on a table which couldn't raise up, and I would've had to lean forward more than I can; so my prescription just says my right eye is X over 20 and my left u
    KEH:
    Just wanted to mention that after many years of transferring to exam table, I now remain in my chair. It required careful maneuvering of my chair to be in position for the exam device to rotate toward me to do testing. In addition to this, I had screening by an assistant using 3 desk top machines, none of which were on adjustable height tables, so had to use arms to hold myself up a bit higher to see into the proper spot.

Hope you can locate an office to accommodate you. Perhaps there's a state Optometry Board that could help you locate an accessible service.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-23-2017 at 11:08 AM.

I had to go to a teaching hospital for the same reason.

I guess the culture is different in different parts of the country. I have no problem getting into an exam chair so I don't really think about it, but I remember the last place I got my prescription the chair thingy just rolled back out of the way so a wheelchair could fit there. It was designed for it. I guess here in the south most stuff is new (buildings and equipment) because so many people have moved to this part of the country in the last couple decades. Might be different in the north where it wasn't all cotton fields and forests fifty years ago.