Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's up with Microcyn?

There's enough anecdotal evidence from users here to convince me that MAH is safe.If it's safe enough to spray into open wounds, in ears and around eyes,I'll take my chances instilling it in my bladder.Dr.Young doesn't seem to have a problem with it and gjnl is a medical professional who is also sci and an MAH user,I trust their opinions.If we don't take matters into our own hands and wait around for the govt. or pharma to run a trial on what would be a low profit treatment,or wait for new abx or the next miracle this or that, most of us won't be around when and if something effective is approved.If you're healthy and able bodied you have all the time in the world,we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Multiple threads about where to buy this really are not a good use of this forum. Suggest you most those questions over to the Equipment & Services forum. Have restored this as a separate thread reluctantly, and have locked the previous thread so no one else can post on it. Hope you are happy.

(KLD)
    ''Hope you are happy.'' This sounds like you locked the thread as a punitive action or out of spite,hopefully I'm wrong.The free flow of information is more important than a petty argument.If Microcyn is ''equipment'' so is vit.c,a wound dressing or even aspirin for that matter,not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by ctoom91 View Post
    ''Hope you are happy.'' This sounds like you locked the thread as a punitive action or out of spite,hopefully I'm wrong. (This is my take away as well. This action is nonsensical) The free flow of information is more important than a petty argument. If Microcyn is ''equipment'' so is vit.c,a wound dressing or even aspirin for that matter,not likely.
    I agree with your assessment of this action by KLD to close this thread. There is no precedent, no logical reason, no request, just, arbitrarily, carpriciously...thread closed...no explanation. There are other threads on this site that are long and unwieldy that have not been closed, so why this one. I wrote to Jim the administrator about this action by KLD. He suggested that I write to her and ask why. Well, KLD and I are not exactly buddies and I'd prefer that she step up here and explain herself to everyone, not just to me. KLD, just end this controversy and reopen the thread. No explanations necessary. I fear that pride may stand in the way of reopening this thread. There is an uncharacteristic quiet from this particular moderator.

One person made a comment that the thread was long and difficult to plow through. One element of his question was where do you buy the product, but more importantly he was trying to find out about the name change and product changes. There really aren't multiple threads about where to buy these products. There are multiple threads and maybe a post or two has asked about purchase sources, but how many threads are there about the use of Magic Bullets, Enemeez, Peristeen, and unproven treatments for spinal cord injury and meaningless, incoherent political threads. Paramoto did not ask for the thread to be closed. He only asked that if someone wanted to post a new thread about Microcyn Technology that the moderators not remove the new thread and tack it on to the Open Letter to Wise thread. Just because the thread is long is not a reason to close it. If a member wants to sift through the information on this particular thread and add information to the thread, they should have that right and freedom. To me this is where an element of censorship for unexplained reasons has come into play.

With this thread closed, it will sink into oblivion, since no one will be able to comment to it. Eventually, it will fall out of sight, out of mind. There is a lot of good anecdotal evidence that these products work and there are few and benign side effects. New members, looking for help with urinary tract infections will miss out on a lot of information and alternative choices because this thread is closed and lost to the bottom of the pile.
    Last edited by gjnl; 07-18-2017 at 01:04 PM.

I did not mean to start controversy, and I have the utmost respect for KLD and GJ. KLD has helped me on many issues and difficulties over the years and I will always be thankful. To a lesser extent but no less important so has GJ.

The reason I started the thread is because new companies and new brands (Manna, Theracyn) were out on the market and with them the possibility of new fomulations, coupled with the perception that Microcyn AH's availability was dwindling, the question of what to buy and where to buy the new product was opportune.

Second, clinical trials. I agree that we may die before someone decides to push for one, but we have bought thousands of these expensive bottles, the fact that they work is not anecdotal if you ask anyone that uses it, but clinical trials would make me feel a lot better about instilling a bleachy substance twice a day. Having said that, antibiotics are anything but innocuous, so from the information that is available now, Microcyn is the best we got.

Lastly, I have no issues with the long thread, just with new topics being bunched into it. Say somebody has a bad experience with MIcrocyn, I would never find out because the thread is unreadable. New topics, even if they are repeat topics should be left alone in a new thread in my humble opinion. We need more information that is easier to access about Microcyn. Period, fact. I also disagree with this being categorized as equipment or supplies. It is most definitively a care issue, as much as antibiotics, bowels, botox, bladder augmentation, megacolon and the like.

At the end of the day, what we need to know is if this stuff is helping us or hurting us. Any information that moves us closer to finding that out should be available, easy to find and it only makes absolute sense to facilitate members contributions to the topic. The huge thread is looong, informative but not ideal for current issues. For the record, I never asked for the thread to be closed. My humble opinion is that if someone wants to make the long thread longer, be my guest, if someone wants to read it, be my guest. But if someone wants to contribute opening a new thread it makes no sense to lump it into the old one. I for one am always on the lookout for Microcyn/Puracyn contributions.

Peace to all.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    Second, clinical trials. I agree that we may die before someone decides to push for one, ...
    There appears to be a Microcyn clinical trial in progress: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02001558
    Watch this thread.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I did not mean to start controversy, and I have the utmost respect for KLD and GJ. KLD has helped me on many issues and difficulties over the years and I will always be thankful. To a lesser extent but no less important so has GJ.

The reason I started the thread is because new companies and new brands (Manna, Theracyn) were out on the market and with them the possibility of new fomulations, coupled with the perception that Microcyn AH's availability was dwindling, the question of what to buy and where to buy the new product was opportune.

Second, clinical trials. I agree that we may die before someone decides to push for one, but we have bought thousands of these expensive bottles, the fact that they work is not anecdotal if you ask anyone that uses it, but clinical trials would make me feel a lot better about instilling a bleachy substance twice a day. Having said that, antibiotics are anything but innocuous, so from the information that is available now, Microcyn is the best we got.

Lastly, I have no issues with the long thread, just with new topics being bunched into it. Say somebody has a bad experience with MIcrocyn, I would never find out because the thread is unreadable. New topics, even if they are repeat topics should be left alone in a new thread in my humble opinion. We need more information that is easier to access about Microcyn. Period, fact. I also disagree with this being categorized as equipment or supplies. It is most definitively a care issue, as much as antibiotics, bowels, botox, bladder augmentation, megacolon and the like.

At the end of the day, what we need to know is if this stuff is helping us or hurting us. Any information that moves us closer to finding that out should be available, easy to find and it only makes absolute sense to facilitate members contributions to the topic. The huge thread is looong, informative but not ideal for current issues. For the record, I never asked for the thread to be closed. My humble opinion is that if someone wants to make the long thread longer, be my guest, if someone wants to read it, be my guest. But if someone wants to contribute opening a new thread it makes no sense to lump it into the old one. I for one am always on the lookout for Microcyn/Puracyn contributions.

Peace to all.
    Eloquent! Well said Paramoto. Hope your thoughtful explanation will change KLD's mind and she will reopen that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ctoom91 View Post
    There's enough anecdotal evidence from users here to convince me that MAH is safe.If it's safe enough to spray into open wounds, in ears and around eyes,I'll take my chances instilling it in my bladder.Dr.Young doesn't seem to have a problem with it and gjnl is a medical professional (to set the record straight, I'm not a medical professional. I'm 35+ years post injury c6/7 complete. I've had a special interest in the bladder process since my injury and I have read voraciously on the topic - GJ) who is also sci and an MAH user,I trust their opinions.If we don't take matters into our own hands and wait around for the govt. or pharma to run a trial on what would be a low profit treatment,or wait for new abx or the next miracle this or that, most of us won't be around when and if something effective is approved.If you're healthy and able bodied you have all the time in the world,we don't.
    Just for the record, see my comment above.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    There appears to be a Microcyn clinical trial in progress: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02001558
    Watch this thread.
    I think what is wanted is a clinical trial using Microcyn Technology as a bladder instillation to help prevent urinary tract infections.

Microcyn Technology already had FDA approval as a Wound Cleanser. Those of us using Microcyn Technology as a bladder instillation are using it for off label purposes. Many health care professionals use FDA approved medications and devices off label everyday.

https://www.drugs.com/history/microcyn.html

Microcyn Approval History

• FDA approved: Yes (First approved May 9th, 2005)
    • Brand name: Microcyn
    • Dosage form: Irrigation Solution
    • Company: Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc.
    • Treatment for: Wound Cleansing

The Microcyn-based family of products are generated through a unique, patented electrochemical treatment of dilute saltwater. A pH neutral solution of hypochlorous acid, and its sodium salt, hypochlorite, is generated. The hypochlorous acid in Microcyn, similar to the natural hypochlorous acid produced by the human body, preserves the Microcyn solution. Microcyn solution is used in the mechanical removal of debris and foreign materials from wound sites.

GJ, I found a vendor for Theracyn and ordered the wound care spray, but they shipped the hydrogel. Is there a difference?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

GJ, I found a vendor for Theracyn and ordered the wound care spray, but they shipped the hydrogel. Is there a difference?
    Hydrogel is going to be hard to instill since it is more viscous than the wound and skin care liquid. While I guess it is possible to use it. I wouldn't want to. I would want the company to refund and pay for return of the product or you could keep it and use it for various applications. I've read here on the forum that some folks use the hydrogel to lubricate a catheter.