Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Northern states - snow

I just can't get it out of my head. Ever since I was a little girl actually. I've got to try...

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    This is complicated, so I'll try to keep it simple by saying that your best friend is the forecast. If there is a chance of a lot of snow try to get your stuff done before it starts. Check the temp for the days you will be there. If above 25 degrees I would say that most roads, sidewalks etc should be clear of any ice or snow.

Bottom line, getting around is not going to be as hard you might think. (Although some days will really be awful. If you are watching the weather you will be able to prepare.) Get good gloves, a coat, a base layer and warm shoes and you'll be fine!
    Your location shows both MN and AZ... do you split your time between the two or are you from one but relocated to another? Just wondering.

Southwestern Ontario Canada.

We haven't had bad snow for a couple of years. Winters have been mild. The only time it matters is if you're working and have to get out every day.

Otherwise, I enjoy the temperate seasons. Especially sitting at my window if I'm awake at 7am with a latte and watching all the people struggle to get to work (lol, I did it for 20+)

If you're not working, things are usually cleared out within a day or two sparing a storm of the century situation.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Southwestern Ontario Canada.

We haven't had bad snow for a couple of years. Winters have been mild. The only time it matters is if you're working and have to get out every day.

Otherwise, I enjoy the temperate seasons. Especially sitting at my window if I'm awake at 7am with a latte and watching all the people struggle to get to work (lol, I did it for 20+)

If you're not working, things are usually cleared out within a day or two sparing a storm of the century situation.
    I will probably have to work, but would hope for something I can do from home if need be. Or maybe, if I'm lucky, will find a boss that is empathetic enough to understand if I get Held up inside due to the weather. But that being said, we had a really bad ice storm a few years ago, people without power for two weeks or more, felled trees, really bad roads etc and I had to go somewhere (I can't remember now) but had to salt and roll, salt and roll to get from my parking space into my house. We don't usually have to winterize down here (plow, salt roads and sidewalks or whatever) so it was slick going. I just keep salt in my car, a freezer bag in my purse, and extra water, blankets, and warming break packs in my car when one hits.

You might want to look at coastal Washington and Oregon. Little snow, but cooler summers, and rain is much easier to handle in the winters than snow in a wheelchair.

(KLD)

Yes I've seen the struggles in States that aren't used to that weather - Georgia with all those stuck - the traffic on the highways for 4" or less of snow and multiple accidents.

I imagine other States are more prepared.

I like the Nurse's suggestion. Oregon seems peaceful and beautiful.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Retired since 1999, my last boss used to let me use vacation days for big snows. If you live in a snowy climate it really helps to have an attached garage so you can drive in during snows without getting snow all over tires. Your windshield doesn't need clearing of snow, etc. When we 1st relocated from NC to Mich we lived in an apartment with a handicapped space. The minute you shoveled your path to the van and cleared snow from the space, people without placards would park in your nicely cleared space as soon as you vacated it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcm2001 View Post
    Your location shows both MN and AZ... do you split your time between the two or are you from one but relocated to another? Just wondering.
    My daughter (C5) goes to the University of Arizona and I'm down there once or twice a month so Tucson has become a second home. Talk about weather extremes! The winter weather played too big a role in her everyday life so she insisted on college somewhere where she didn't have to worry about the weather ruining her plans. Snowstorms, too cold, ice=lots of time at home. So many inconveniences it is hard to write it all out. She navigates a large campus with no problems. If she were at the University of Minnesota she would rely on people clearing the sidewalks which can be spotty. The temperature is the biggest problem for her and trying to manage the putting on and taking off of so many layers. One more thing that she likes, the sun. In the winter there just are not that many sunny days. The last few winters we've had have actually been mild. The lack of sun was what we were complaining about!

It seems you really want to try it out though. Maybe you could try it out with a vacation to the winter state you are interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You might want to look at coastal Washington and Oregon. Little snow, but cooler summers, and rain is much easier to handle in the winters than snow in a wheelchair.

(KLD)
    The best thing about Colorado, top of my list, is that it isn't so far away from family. I have a dog so most likely driving home for visits instead of flying. I have thought about WA and OR as places to visit but hadn't really considered moving there.

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    My daughter (C5) goes to the University of Arizona and I'm down there once or twice a month so Tucson has become a second home. Talk about weather extremes! The winter weather played too big a role in her everyday life so she insisted on college somewhere where she didn't have to worry about the weather ruining her plans. Snowstorms, too cold, ice=lots of time at home. So many inconveniences it is hard to write it all out. She navigates a large campus with no problems. If she were at the University of Minnesota she would rely on people clearing the sidewalks which can be spotty. The temperature is the biggest problem for her and trying to manage the putting on and taking off of so many layers. One more thing that she likes, the sun. In the winter there just are not that many sunny days. The last few winters we've had have actually been mild. The lack of sun was what we were complaining about!

It seems you really want to try it out though. Maybe you could try it out with a vacation to the winter state you are interested in?
    I've heard AZ is arid..? Humidity plus heat is my nemesis. But I haven't had extreme cold like MN either.