Thread: DME Question?

DME Question?

First, I've dealt with same Indpendant DME for over 22 years and have bought 5 Rehab powerchairs from same DME with same agreement. He sold his business to a nation wide company this past year. I called and talked with a person there and they sent a person to check my home to assure it's wheelchair accessible and bring Demo's out to check out.
    When the gentleman got here I told him of our past agreement and if they would honor the same agreement. Admittly he did not say 'yes' but did say since it would be for 2 full rehab powerchairs and we already had Face-to-Face with decriptive Rx and a detailed Justification letter that if we pick a certain brand chair "there should be no problem" meeting the agreement we have had with past DME owner.
    We both have Medicare, no other insurance of any type nor any suppliment insurance coverage of any type.

Usually by now our old DME would be calling with arrangements for delivery.

It's been a bit over a month and I got a call with bad and good news.
    Bad News: Nothing has been submitted to Medicare, yet. Also, they would not be able to honor agreement that just was not enough profit.
    Their Good News: But, if we would take a 'Demo' chair they could offer a discount on co-payment.

My questions:
    Is this normal now?
    Just a product of nation wide DME procedure?
    Instead of dealing with a nation wide DME do I need to locate a locally owned independant DME that deals with complex Rehab Powerchairs? Or has all the DME's changed to this type of arrangements?

I'm a bit put out over this and have tried to keep that out of my post. Any thoughts, insight and/or advice would be appreciated.
    "Thank you!"

what was the "agreement"?

A little confused on your post you say 2 full rehab chairs. Do you mean quantity of submitting two chairs to medicare?

(Admittly he did not say 'yes' but did say since it would be for 2 full rehab powerchairs and we already had Face-to-Face with decriptive Rx and a detailed Justification letter)

I am following your thread as well, both previous posts have good questions. I am quite confused---2 full rehab chairs?? previous owner arrangements?? Doctors Prescriptive description for a "private sale?? IS Medicare actually involved in this purchase??

2 Full Rehab chairs is for 2 members of family. Told the DME's Rep upfront the arrangements we had with previous shop owners, and was told should be no problem.
    I know that means nothing to new company owners but since was told they 'should' do same arrangement as before we thought this would be a speedy process as in past.

I probably should not of posted, due to frustation and mostly just venting that feeling. As I posted before I was a bit put out since I thought we had agreement and then was not told sooner about the new owners was not going to stick with arrangement.
    Since no written contract was done nor no insurance was submitted, as far as I know, it's pretty much a moot point.
    After this lenght of time we figured we just wait and start over with our physician. I don't know if we will need to get another appointment with seating clinic but hopefully either the physician or seating clinic will recommend a DME.
    Again, "Sorry" for my poor posting and not providing enough information.
    "Thank you"