Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADA dishwasher

I was curious what makes kitchen appliances ADA compliant. Here is a page from the GE website that specifies what makes Refrigerators, Dishwashers, Ranges, Cooktops, Wall Ovens, Microwave Ovens, Washers and Dryers ADA compliant. http://www.geappliances.com/ge/ada-c...ia-dishwashers

ADA compliance for dishwashers (from the Sears website):

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, dishwashers are ADA compliant if all the controls are within an arm's reach and located on the front of the machine. In addition, all the rack space for loading and unloading should be easily accessible from the front of the device. These models sit between 15 and 48 inches above the floor and can be operated with one hand. It's also required these dishwashers be used with less than 5 pounds of force. That way people who are physically incapable of maneuvering standard controls, including pushing buttons or turning gauges, can operate the machine with no hassle.
    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I was amazed to find that the ADA regulations actually address standards for appliances. The 306 and 309 regulations that are referenced are: https://www.access-board.gov/guideli...operable-parts
    Attached Images Attached Images  

its about height. ada dishwashers are shorter to fit under lowered countertops.
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    While we're talking about kitchen appliances accessibility, have you considered a pull-out stove top? That enables accessibility, cabinet space underneath, and the stove location to be turning distance from the island. Makes a huge difference. I staggered my counter heights. The highest counter is for a standard dishwasher only. The sink counter goes as low as possible to provide knee to sink clearance. The island, where I spend most of my time, is super low.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer