Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Exhaustion and Food

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by cklovesflowers View Post
    My body gets exhausted easily. When what I call an attack of lead-weighted exhaustion. Strange thing is I eat a lot of hamburgers. They seem to provide some sort of energy. unrelated to overheating but nothing else like it. I tried other things. I have come to the conclusion it must be the combination of fat and protein maybe. It is like my body craves it. and eats it until it is satisfied.
    "Lead weighted exhaustion" is a perfect description of what I feel. And I too have noticed that eating a hamburger helps right away. I have driven through Burger King when the exhaustion suddenly hit me. Not safe to drive so exhausted anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Yes, good to check BP. Also, just wanted to mention it might be good to occasionally check your oxygen level using an inexpensive pulse/oxymeter, that slips on a fingertip.
    Another great idea! I just ordered a $17 pulse-ox. Amazon has many brands that are all inexpensive and highly rated. It really feels like I'm not getting enough oxygen when the weak feeling hits (but trying to hyperventilate never helped), so I'll check my blood oxygen. It actually seems more likely than low BP.
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

Let us know what you discover with the pulse ox.
    ckf

I'm curious myself. I've been getting light headed lately and I'm to see my family doctor Friday.
    John-B

I call it over heating.

I go through the same symptoms as dnvrdave first mentioned. I am glad you brought this topic up and others write in on what they do? I call it more of over heating. I am hot and need to cool down. Sometimes I feel zapped of energy. What I do is have a cold wet hand towel around my neck while I am working at home or my other house that I am going to put up for sale shortly.

My rule of thumb is to stay out of direct sun light and my dermatologist gave me the right-act about protecting your skin in sun light. So I always wear a long sleeve cotton shirt. I call it my driving shirt. It could be 93 degree outside and I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt when I have to drive somewhere. I also am drinking a lot of ice or cold diet Pepsi. Usually working at either house I am shirtless with a wet towel around my neck.

I always carry a mercury thermometer with me at all times in a protective case (These are very hard to find.). When I over heat I check my temperature and it could be 99-101 degrees.

I notice I over heat more when the temperature is more at 82 degrees and the humidity is 45% or higher. It could be 91 degrees and humidity 25% and I am fine.

What I do when I over heat and feel weak? I have a Waring blender with a stainless steel 32oz carafe. I fill it 4/5ths with crushed ice, add 0% milk, add a scoop of protein mix, a scoop of Thick-it and two raw eggs and blend it for about 40 seconds. I now have about 30 oz of shush protein shake with a lot of cold energy that I swallow down. Once down, you have 30 oz of 32 degree cold energy to dissipate throughout your body. This will cool me down quickly, about 3-5 minutes. I feel much better.

Sometimes putting my head under the tap and let cold water drain over my head wetting my hair helps too. If I ever need to cool down immediately, I get undressed and take a cold shower until I feel better.

Once in a while I over heat, I become weak, down cold protein mix then I become very tired. I go lay down to rest and I fall into a deep R-E-M sleep for about an hour. I wake up feeling totally energized. Weird, but that what happens.

Other members? When you feel exhausted take your temperature and see what it is.

SCI-Nurse? What happens to the body when it over heats?

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

My blood work came back saying everything is normal. Now to figure out why I get light headed.
    John-B

Check your blood pressure. Also -poikilothermia- is the term. Your body below the level of injury takes on the heat of the surrounding temperature. And can't adjust it.
    CWO

There was a very good article about temperature control recently published in New Mobility Magazine. Very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    There was a very good article about temperature control recently published in New Mobility Magazine. Very well done.
    Excellent article , thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dnvrdave View Post
    "Lead weighted exhaustion" is a perfect description of what I feel. And I too have noticed that eating a hamburger helps right away. I have driven through Burger King when the exhaustion suddenly hit me. Not safe to drive so exhausted anyway.

Another great idea! I just ordered a $17 pulse-ox. Amazon has many brands that are all inexpensive and highly rated. It really feels like I'm not getting enough oxygen when the weak feeling hits (but trying to hyperventilate never helped), so I'll check my blood oxygen. It actually seems more likely than low BP.
    Bought this one on Amazon for $40.00 it does everything.

http://smartwatcheszone.com/heart-ra...ker-wristband/
    ^^(A)^^

Check blood sugar?
    CWO