Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: workers compensation ? help!

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I can't believe that you're eligible for a new vehicle every 5 years! Who typically gets a new vehicle that frequently?! For PA voc rehab it is 10 years or 100,000 miles.
    In Florida if you are injured on the job workers comp kicks in. Since my injury was catastrophic (c3c4 quadriplegic) they had to figure out how much it would cost to take care of me for the rest of my life (17 when injured 46 now). That included attendant care, vans, wheelchairs, supplies, medications, dr appointments, hospital stays etc. FYI my current 2014 Sienna has 112,000 miles on it. My wife and I love to travel.

I hope you didn't take my comment as a slight. The fact that they provide that is great.

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I hope you didn't take my comment as a slight. The fact that they provide that is great.
    No, not at all.

Yes, Michigan no-fault use to be really good. Now very high premiums and no accountability transparency as to where the money goes. I had a life care plan done. But I also wanted another set-aside account for non-covered items that work comp would normally cover but medicare doesn't. Such as home modifications, assisted living, etc. The work comp felt life care plan and set aside accounts were too high. So, I settled my wages and kept open medical. Too many unknowns to settle medical care now days.

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
    Yes, Michigan no-fault use to be really good. Now very high premiums and no accountability transparency as to where the money goes. I had a life care plan done. But I also wanted another set-aside account for non-covered items that work comp would normally cover but medicare doesn't. Such as home modifications, assisted living, etc. The work comp felt life care plan and set aside accounts were too high. So, I settled my wages and kept open medical. Too many unknowns to settle medical care now days.
    Ok, I understand now.

Thank you everyone for your input.
    Sounds like a really do need a lawyer rather than just try to negotiate this myself based on what they've already given me in terms of DME being replenished over an estimated lifetime. There are hundreds of NYC workers compensation lawyers, and none of the mentioned my unusual Foreign Workers Compensation/Foreign Voluntary Workers Compensation policy (which doesn't surprise me). Can anyone recommend a New York lawyer? I guess I just have to contact some.
    Hack N sack, why have you decided not to settle? Did you think they weren't offering you enough? Not considering inflation?
    I feel so grateful reading this to be British and have universal healthcare free for all. Thank God for our National Health Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Zambi View Post
    Hack N sack, why have you decided not to settle? Did you think they weren't offering you enough? Not considering inflation?
    Yeah the insurance company was looking to settle for the least amount possible. They didn't care that what they offered me wouldn't have covered my 24 hour attendant care and other things I need. Medicare doesn't cover it either. So I had to say no. There are some presidential candidates here in the US trying to get Medicare for all which would give everyone free healthcare. Who knows if that will ever happen here.

I am a insurance agent in Florida. And I think some of you are getting confused with what no fault means on a auto mobile insurance policy.
    No fault means your auto policy will pay no matter who's at fault for medical, loss wages and loss of use. Up to the limits on the policy. For example, in Florida the pip coverage is 10,000 and 80% can be used for medical, 60% can be used for wages and 100% can be used for loss of use.
    Now I haven't read the Michigan pip terms but I would think there capped at 500,000. That is what you should be looking into.
    And one other thing. Most of the time the hospital and doctors eat up most of the money first. Because they come first to be paid.
    The law was created to support all the non-insured motorist entering the hospital with no insurance. And in Michigan having such a high limit you can expect the hospital and doctors to abuse the system with unneeded medical cost to get as much of that money as they can.