Thread: SSD overpaying me, do I have to do anything about this?

SSD overpaying me, do I have to do anything about this?

basically I'm on SSD, but I went back to work full time a year ago. I thought they were going to cut me off after the 9 month trial work period which would have been March or April depending on if they counted the month I started working or the month of my first paycheck, but around that time they sent me a letter saying June would be my last SSD check. I figured they were rounding up (at least I have it in writing that they agree to pay me until then).

so here it is July and they deposited another check in my account.

i assume at some point (probably the most inconvenient time) they will ask for money back going back to June and maybe back until April or March.

Besides making sure I keep enough money on hand to pay them back when they figure things out do I need to do anything?

and by need I mean can I get in trouble for doing nothing.

when they ask for the money back are they going to tack on interest?

im sure several of you have gone through this, please let me know your experience or advice.

Thanks,

Funk

Well, there was the SS bill collector knocking at the door at 3 and 5 AM, then the calls every 1/2 hour round the clock...

Just kidding

The trial work period is actually 12 months, 9 months and a 3 month extension. It may take 2 or 3 calls to actually get them to stop depositing money. In my case, I believe in 2015 they wanted some 3 or 4 months worth of overpayment back from me...dating from 2003. They'll mail you a letter about it.

You're fine. I think I replied to a post of yours last year about the same topic.

We've now gotten to the point where the loss of free Medicare A insurance came in the mail. We decided not to pay for it at this time because he has workplace insurance. Our Expedited Period of Eligibility is over too. Should things not go well in the future, we'd have to meet with a counselor at the local SSD Office to get the paperwork going again.

"During the Trial
    Work Period, you get 9 months in a 60 month time frame in which you can earn as much as you are able and still get your full monthly SSD payment. The 9 months don't have to be consecutive but you've got to notify SSD about any month you aren't working so the clock doesn't keep running.

Once you finish your TWP and are earning over Substantial Gainful Activity ($ 1,070 a month in 2014), you enter into a 36 month Extended Period of Eligibility. When your EPE starts, you should get your SSD check for that month ( the TWP cessation month ) and the two months after ( the grace period ). That's where the 12 month part you read about comes into play.

Once you're in the Extended Period of Eligibility but outside of the grace period, you can still get your SSD payments during months when you either can't work due to disability or when your gross wages are less than the SGA amount.

Once the 36 month EPE is over you have a 5 year period of Expedited Reinstatement during which they can re-start your SSD benefits without a new application. The form for applying to start the Expedited Reinstatement process was hard to find. Here it is: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/i...-SSA-371-1.pdf

You may want to also look up the SSD Ticket To Work program and determine if any additional assistance is available.

The official SSD guide to work incentives is the Red Book: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/

Best of luck to you. Going back to work was a big mile stone for us. In our situation, knowing about SSD's work incentive programs helped with the decision making process."

It happened to me too.

I finished my degree in computer-aided-design and drafting, CADD, June 1991 and gave myself six months to find employment. I was employed in my accessible career December 30, 1991. I telephoned Social Security and told them I was employed and my nine month trail period started. Nine months later I job hopped now working for the federal government. I am being paid a meager GS7-1 salary in the year 1992 and 1993. I called Social Security and told them my nine month trail period is done.

I continued to receive SSDI six months later. I called Social Security again and told them I am done with my nine month trial period and I am still getting monthly SSDI. Another six more months goes past and I'm still getting SSDI. I call Social Security again and I tell them the same thing again that I am working full time, done with my trail period and I am still getting SSDI. I am receiving two government payments per month now.

So, finally I get a letter from Social Security asking me what I spent the twelve SSDI payments on? I wrote all my medical bills, all DME I had buy out of pocket, my part of medical insurance I paid for and any home modifications. After two months of review I received a letter from Social Security that the 14 months I was over paid; $625/month x 14 months = $8,750.00, that I did not have to return the funds that were sent to me. SSDI finally stopped.

So I am now back to one government check a month. You don't want to know what GS level is now.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I believe in 2015 they wanted some 3 or 4 months worth of overpayment back from me...dating from 2003. They'll mail you a letter about it.
    WTF??? For real? Did you get those dates right? They waited 12 years to ask for money back????

I mean that could work out well for now, I'm going to be relatively poor for the next couple years, then I'll have plenty of money if they want it back...

Thing is I don't really like knowing that someone could come ask for a boatload of money back at any moment, even if I happen to have it. Like living under the guillotine and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    WTF??? For real? Did you get those dates right? They waited 12 years to ask for money back????.
    Yep, dates are correct. I read somewhere they were going after smaller amounts in recent years, I was overpaid around $5K.

You want interesting, there are a few stories around the internet where people were being hit up for stuff their parents received in the 1970's for some reason.