Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Para Work Status - full time, part time, disability?

I am 8 years after my accident. I work on AI related software, and can't imagine not working. Aside from it taking longer to get ready to go to work in the morning I don't find my work experience all that different than before my accident.

Quote Originally Posted by MNicholson81 View Post
    Hello,

I am curious, how many of us work full time, work part time, or can't work and receive disability? I have been a para for about 6 six years now and continue to work full time. Very hard and stressful on my body and just curious of everyone's situation.

Thanks for replying!

Mike

Paralyzed at 12. Left home at 18. Worked 20yrs - all shift work until age 40. Am 44 now. Couldn't afford school ... if I had, I might have lasted longer if I could have controlled my work.

4yrs doing nothing .. health tanked .. not sure what to do

Great life long drug, dental and extended health benefits though and $3300+ per month in take home of long term disability.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 07-11-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Injuryed at 56 years old, (6years ago) T12-L1 incomplete. About the time i got over the worst of the SCI, is when the pain started. Pain so strong that its debilatating and keeps me from doing much, let alone work. But this last month the pain backed off some, so i can see how one can work, with a SCI. Without the pain i would find something to do, out an about.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by MNicholson81 View Post
    Wow, 30 years is awesome. I am 34 years old, have been in the chair for 6 years, have been working with the same company for 10 years, construction equipment rental company, most of it is office type work however I over see 4 different locations and travel a good bit. Money is great just not sure how long I can do it, at what point does the $$ not matter because you are jeopardizing your health.

Mike_Stan do you think SSDI will approve since you have been working. I have thought about that a lot with my situation. I have a felling they would say "well you have worked 6 years with your disability so why can't you work now all of a sudden"? You know what I mean.
    MNicholson81:
    If one has the required amount of work years, "paralysis" is automatic qualifier for SSDI. They don't care about why you no longer want to work.
    Just want to add, do you transfer in an out of a car for the various trips you make for your job? If so, have you considered a van with a lift to make such contacts easier? (plus saving shoulders). If you do want to continue to work, the state Vocational Rehabilitation may be able to help in several ways.

I find these threads fascinating, such a variety of existences

• Injured in 1986 at age 17 - while still in high school
    • C7 motor complete/sensory incomplete
    • finished high school, then B.S. in Finance, then MBA
    • I have worked full time since 1996 in corporate finance/underwriting
    • I have amazing family support including a wife that is indescribably awesome (we were dating when I was injured)

Very good thread.

Injured at 25 (9 years ago), C6/C7 motor complete/sensory incomplete. I went back to work as soon as I could, even before I learned how to drive with hand controls. I work full-time as an electrical engineer for the DoD. Got my masters in systems engineering while working and in a wheelchair and squeezed in getting married.

I'm inside on the computer for the most part, which does get agonizingly boring at times. I get stiff and spasms get crazy so I'll go out to my truck and lean the seat back to stretch out. Always fun being around people at work and seeing their reactions to my spasms.

It does/has worn on me, but I need the money to satiate my high end bourbon/scotch/cigar palate.

I was injured when I was 13 years old.

T4 incomplete
    Finished HS and college and recently a masters degree.
    Have always worked 40hr weeks in an office environment

T12, Accident 1979, Bachelors degree 1985. I have been working full time as an IT Systems Administrator for 32+ years. Looking to retire in the next 2-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Injuryed at 56 years old, (6years ago) T12-L1 incomplete. About the time i got over the worst of the SCI, is when the pain started. Pain so strong that its debilatating and keeps me from doing much, let alone work. But this last month the pain backed off some, so i can see how one can work, with a SCI. Without the pain i would find something to do, out an about.
    Don't know if you saw my post in the pain thread, but the higher lyrica dose has really knocked back my baseline nerve pain. Might be worth a try.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015