Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Para Work Status - full time, part time, disability?

SCI is automatically qualifying for SSDI. You could quit on your own accord tomorrow and start collecting SSDI 6 months from now (or is it a year, I forget). But continuing working with associated pay increases and higher level income 'quarters' boosts the SSDI, so it can be beneficial to keep working. Check out SS's website for a payment estimate to see what disability would get you, they do that without actually applying

Designer

Designer for NASA. Employed 26 years, this September will 25 years for NASA. I am C6-C7 post 30 years injured. Injured at the prime age of 25 years old. Employment is excellent and pays very good with a lot of benefits; telecommute, retirement, health & life insurance.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

That was my concern too MNicholson81. Thought they might say you have been working all these years with your problems.... keep on working. Andy says SCI is an automatic qualifier for SSDI. Hope that is the case. Have to wait the 6 months for SSDI and then 2 years after that for Medicare. Hopefully I can afford the health insurance once Trump gets rids of Obama Care for those 2 years.

I worked 30 years post injury (T-10), my only regret is that I did not retire earlier. Although you sacrifice income, you usually underestimate how much it costs to work.

If you have a spinal cord injury requiring you to use a wheelchair for mobility, you will automatically be found eligible for SSDI as long as you have an adequate, recent work history and you are not working when you apply. Might want to apply sooner rather than later as Trumpians seem especially interested in "reforming" Social Security Disability.

I'm 9 years post T8 complete injured at 24. Just went back to work a year ago, although that's a little disingenuous because I went back to school full time 8 months after my injury and probably put in an average of 65 hours a week for the last five years of school.

my hats off to all of you who do office jobs. I think I'd shoot myself in the face if I had to sit all day in front of my computer 40 hours a week. I mean I probably do that 3/5 of my work day, but at least it's not the same computer and the same colleagues every day, and besides the other 2/5 I my time makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    my hats off to all of you who do office jobs. I think I'd shoot myself in the face if I had to sit all day in front of my computer 40 hours a week. I mean I probably do that 3/5 of my work day, but at least it's not the same computer and the same colleagues every day, and besides the other 2/5 I my time makes up for it.
    Tell me about it. I'm the same way. But getting a job where you mostly watch HBO Go, surf the internet, wander around, or wash your car helps immensely. Hard to come by those, but it can be done with the right skills and determination to be the most useless employee you can possibly be.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Tell me about it. I'm the same way. But getting a job where you mostly watch HBO Go, surf the internet, wander around, or wash your car helps immensely. Hard to come by those, but it can be done with the right skills and determination to be the most useless employee you can possibly be.
    I used to know a guy (AB but that's not relevant) who worked 100 hours a week, two full time jobs and one part time and still had weekends off. He managed to do his because one of his jobs was the 11pm to 7am shift at a group home for kids so he just put them to bed, went to sleep and woke up to get them ready for school.

hard to beat literally getting paid to sleep full time.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I used to know a guy (AB but that's not relevant) who worked 100 hours a week, two full time jobs and one part time and still had weekends off. He managed to do his because one of his jobs was the 11pm to 7am shift at a group home for kids so he just put them to bed, went to sleep and woke up to get them ready for school.

hard to beat literally getting paid to sleep full time.
    Our midnight guy is like that. I like when he comes in early for a good night's rest and I leave early. There really are legitimate reasons to have camping cots in the office!

Man, this stuff will change once we move out of our 'clubhouse' building and quite possibly occupy space with the 'real' portion of the company. Not looking forward to that

I was injured Aug 95 and was back to work by the following spring, no longer the head mechanic, but now the boss at my foreign car repair shop.
    The first few years I did some wacky things-I got a stand up wheelchair and did a lot of bay work. Brakes and suspension aren't too bad with a lift. I put a clutch in a 240 Volvo once, all except removing and installing the shifter and lifting the unit in and out. Not pretty!
    I started the place 3/1971 and closed/sold it and the property 7/1/2016 when I retired @69-45 years! My life.
    No regrets-it was extraordinary!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I'm T3-T7 complete as of September 2015.

As an over 50, paraplegic, C-suite executive with a PhD I'm nearly unemployable. I've been looking for a year now with only a few real bites. Learned after the fact that letting the local news run a story on me was a bad idea because it comes up if I'm googled and it's me in a tlso. One job counselor noted that I looked "so so disabled! In that tlso!"

As a result I'm now working on my own startup.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015