Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Para Work Status - full time, part time, disability?

Para Work Status - full time, part time, disability?

Hello,

I am curious, how many of us work full time, work part time, or can't work and receive disability? I have been a para for about 6 six years now and continue to work full time. Very hard and stressful on my body and just curious of everyone's situation.

Thanks for replying!

Mike

c4, 5 years and full time here...its a challenge

15 years full time now. Might retire this year for a number of reasons, but definitely will in 7 years once the pension 'magic number' of age/years of service adds up.

Forgot to add, I am T-10, complete.

Blog Entries
    I had good disability insurance when I got hurt 11 years ago (T12) so I decided to stay home and homeschool my kids instead of returning to full-time employment. 2 have since grown, and 2 are still here, so I've got another 5-7 years of this life before I will make any changes. I really can't imagine working full-time, away from home, and dealing with the levels of pain and general discomfort I experience. My hat is off to all of you that make it work, pun intended. I'm thankful everyday I was well situated in my life and career before SCI so I didn't have to push myself even harder to keep myself and my family afloat.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

I worked for 42 years until my wife qualified for Medicare. I always worked from home which lessened much of the wear and tear.

Injured at age 18 am now 70
    Freshman in college at the time
    Injury is complete at C4
    I managed investments for most of those 42 years
    I lost SSDI benefits after reaching a certain income level
    Last edited by TomRL; 07-10-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: To include what KLD suggested
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

There are a number of factors that should be considered for this, including:

• Age at injury and age now
    • Was the person working at the time of their injury?
    • Level and completeness of injury
    • What kind of work?
    • Financial disincentives for working such as loss of Medicaid and attendant care benefits

It would be helpful for those responding to this to include this information.

(KLD)

30 years full time office work. T-4 complete 54 yrs old. Most likely the end for me at the end of the year. Body cannot take it anymore. Hopefully I can get on SSDI.

Wow, 30 years is awesome. I am 34 years old, have been in the chair for 6 years, have been working with the same company for 10 years, construction equipment rental company, most of it is office type work however I over see 4 different locations and travel a good bit. Money is great just not sure how long I can do it, at what point does the $$ not matter because you are jeopardizing your health.

Mike_Stan do you think SSDI will approve since you have been working. I have thought about that a lot with my situation. I have a felling they would say "well you have worked 6 years with your disability so why can't you work now all of a sudden"? You know what I mean.

c6c7 hurt 2001 work full time except no more on site sales call last on was home depot in atl just to hard on me but they were very assessable but i had already converted to having an office on my farm we had 4 employess there to so it was easy fyi i still work @ 67