Thread: Can't take it anymore!

Can't take it anymore!

Almost from the first day of my injury (June 2012), I have been in constant pain. I've tried everything. I just cannot take it anymore. It's overwhelming. I cry almost non stop. I have no joy in my life. I feel trapped in this nightmare that has no end. Thanks for listening.

The offer I was given many years ago was to have the spinal cord cut cleanly just above my injury level (T6). The assumption was that the messy nature of my multiples fractures in the area was the cause of the pain. Good luck

It is a bitch. It is very overwhelming but try to find things to do that take your mind of of it. Its hard but distracting yourself from t is the only thing that seems to help. I find cool showers to help as you pay attention to the water and not the painful areas. Sometimes thinking about the places that do not hurt also helps. Sorry to hear you are in this boat.

Treating your mood can help. Pain makes you depressed, and depression increases pain. A vicious cycle. Sometimes anti-depressants also have separate anti-pain effects... particularly cymbalta and Effexor (both have cheaper generic versions). This is so, so important.

My Dad also has a lot of pain. He takes a mixture of nerve pain meds, antidepressants, tramadol and opioids. And when it isn't enough, he slaps an ice pack on the worst spot. He agrees that distracting yourself is important too. He wants to try more mindfulness meditation techniques. His doctor has also wanted him to try medical marijuana.

i'm sorry you are having such a hard time. It's really awful.....

I am fortunate to were I don't experience pain. That being said I have had 2 different buddy's that experienced pain so bad I'd watch them eat (CHEW) 2 1000 vicoden just to ease the "pain". Hour later on the boat they'd go to chew up 2 more !!! I'd have to ask them if they even remember taking the 2 they just did an hour previously....... Both of my buddy's now have not nearly as much pain and one of them is right off of opiods, doesn't have any "pain". If i happen to catch myself taking vicoden 2-3 days in a row I'll automatically wake up in "pain" and go to eat a pill... I'll stop myself go to the gym and pound my back muscles as hard as i can instead and my back will no longer hurt.
    I believe a lot of pain comes from the pills playing a roll in our heads telling us "your in pain, ya need a pill"

Maybe the case, maybe not. Like I said I'm very fortunate and don't have much pain. I hope it get's better for you.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by clk55pete View Post
    The offer I was given many years ago was to have the spinal cord cut cleanly just above my injury level (T6). The assumption was that the messy nature of my multiples fractures in the area was the cause of the pain. Good luck
    FWIW I discussed this with my neurosurgeon and his experience is that it will NOT help with pain at all.
    -ket

Have you tried meditation? fwiw I was suicidal due to pain, look me up I posted my death spiral). Went to UMASS Medical for meditation (MBSR) went back and got teaching credentials then went on to UMT and got teacher certification in Insight Mindfulness. It totally turned my life around. My partner and I work with many pain clients.
    www.pathwaytomindfulness.com fyi we teach via skype and have clients as far away as Australia.
    -ket

Quote Originally Posted by ketamine kitty View Post
    FWIW I discussed this with my neurosurgeon and his experience is that it will NOT help with pain at all.
    -ket
    That is my experience as well. In addition, this procedure (cordotomy or cordectomy) can cause a whole lot of other problems.

(KLD)