Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart Check Roho

Smart Check Roho

I am currently on bed rest because it seems one of my carers accidentally put too much air in my Roho. I have been having a problem with a sweat rash way down in the crease of my backside next to my scrotum. On Thursday morning my carer put some more airing my cushion. This morning we discovered horrible black mark and slightly open in the area. I can only put it down to the cushion being too much overinflated.

If you are a Roho user and do the hand check yourself and you are probably quite confident that you are getting it right every time. However, if you are relying on other people to do the hand check for you you're basically putting your life in their hands.

I've never really been that confident with the hand check, everybody's hands are different, some are bigger than others so everybody is going to get a different reading. Roho has now developed something they call Smart Check which basically takes the guesswork out of using your hand. I'm wondering if any people here have got one and how you have been getting on with it.

Also, has anyone had any experience using the Star Lock cushion?

I have one, no onger use it as we have found it to be inconsistent, we had to use a custom setting and never seemed to get an accurate check. Gauge would suggest over/under inflated, we would pump to green light, disconnect/reconnect and it would still be out. 2nd Smart Check I've had both did the same. We always ended up checking manually which was the reason I wanted to use Smart Check, my support workers all have different ideas what is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I have one, no longer use it as we have found it to be inconsistent, we had to use a custom setting and never seemed to get an accurate check. Gauge would suggest over/under inflated, we would pump to green light, disconnect/reconnect and it would still be out. 2nd Smart Check I've had both did the same. We always ended up checking manually which was the reason I wanted to use Smart Check, my support workers all have different ideas what is correct.
    We found the same to be true.

Now here's something weird. A Permobil/ROHO rep was at a recent PT appt. and said that my daughter's cushion could have been one of a batch of defective ones? They called and determined that it was. My question; why weren't we notified? She had a flap surgery a year ago and getting the Smart Check seemed like a good idea with 5 PCA's when she is away at college in Tucson. Just never seemed to work the way we were hoping and almost cost her another sore!

A replacement is on the way (still under warranty) and we will pressure map again etc. I will post here if it works the way it is intended. In the meantime, it might be worth you checking that YOUR cushion doesn't fall under the defective ones. If it does, get that replacement at no charge.

Mine was purchased through the UK NHS, I was selected to trial if for my local area. Permobil were aware of this and replaced the first one and didn't mention a faulty batch. 2nd one was exactly the same and they didn't do anything about it. I stopped using it, local NHS now won't purchase a smart check. Poor product, poor service if they can't take the initiative and follow up by letting me or NHS know if there was a faulty batch but IMHO about typical for the majority of suppliers in disability industry.

Good to know. I think we should look at another cushion.

There is a warranty action for the Sensor Ready cushion / Smart Check, which if you have one of the impacted units (determined by serial number range) will be replaced for you at no-charge. If you have a Smart Check device and want to inquire about whether or not it is eligible for replacement, please contact our warranty services team - warranty.roho@permobil.com.

I have a fusion cushion and the roho insert is lopsided - one side deflates completely by the end of the day, and it's not a valve issue, nor is there a leak and I don't have an underlying postural problem. This is my third experience of a roho being wonky. I'm not sure what the internal quality control issues are but I'm clear that they aren't a good option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by annev308 View Post
    I have a fusion cushion and the roho insert is lopsided - one side deflates completely by the end of the day, and it's not a valve issue, nor is there a leak and I don't have an underlying postural problem. This is my third experience of a roho being wonky. I'm not sure what the internal quality control issues are but I'm clear that they aren't a good option for me.
    Contact Tom Borcherding, President of Roho, Inc. division of Permobil at tom.borcherding@permobil.com. He has been very responsive to questions and problems members have with Roho products.

The Fusion cushion is manufactured by Sunrise Medical (ROHO supplies the air insert as a component to Sunrise). Please contact the customer service department at Sunrise Medical (webmaster@sunmed.com; 800.333.4000) and inquire about their warranty replacement policy for your air insert. I'm sure they will ask you for the model and serial number of the cushion, so have this information ready in advance.